Posted

common sense.jpg

• Like 2
  • Love it 1

MotorSarge
Posted
Posted
46 minutes ago, JJReyes said:

We stayed 3 weeks at Seda Hotel BGS.  Whenever transport was needed, a staff member would call for a Grab.  Yesterday, after checking out, I asked staff to call for one, but was refused.  The reason was my wife and I had already checked out and therefore we were no longer guests.  It had to do with liability, and the rule was created by one of their corporate lawyers.  Luckily, P100 has influence on bending rules.

We sat at a Mitsukoshi Mall restaurant and ordered 6 small dishes.  The waiter explained we are also required to order a hot pot for two persons.  Never mind it was a hot day and we don't like hot pot.  Rules are rules.  Walking out was the only sensible solution.  

I left eyeglasses at the table of a Singapore inspired restaurant.  Calling from the hotel, we were informed the staff found it.  Claiming the eyeglasses the following day subjected me to a cross examination worthy of a murder trial.  "Why did you bring a drivers' license instead of your passport for identity?  Hugh?  Do you remember your table number?  Hugh?  (The correct number is 24.  It's on the receipt, dummy.)  What is the estimated value of the eyeglasses?  Hugh?"  This is for a prescription pair, not some fancy brand name sunshades.  Finally, the suspicious cashier, who was freelancing as Lost & Found," released them after one of the waiters claimed he remembered me.

A lot of cross examination = A lot of crime.... They are well seasoned.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Maxheadspace
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, JJReyes said:

We stayed 3 weeks at Seda Hotel BGS.  Whenever transport was needed, a staff member would call for a Grab.  Yesterday, after checking out, I asked staff to call for one, but was refused.  The reason was my wife and I had already checked out and therefore we were no longer guests.  It had to do with liability, and the rule was created by one of their corporate lawyers.  Luckily, P100 has influence on bending rules.

Hehe, back when we were having my wife's marriage annulled, I emailed our Philippine attorney asking if there was a way to speed it up.  She replied, in clear writing, "send me $1,000 so I can bribe the judge."  😲  Uhhh, never mind.  😇

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

A new one from this morning.

My sister asked me to open a joint bank account with her to deposit money separate from a family trust account.  The first bank refused because she already has a joint account with a niece.  They won't permit a second joint account.  Why?

We went to another bank where she also has an account.  The estimate was 16 pages of application documents including for the US Internal Revenue Service because a US citizen was opening a bank account in the Philippines.  They also took my picture front and profile, and fingerprints.  Thereafter, copies of my passport and driver's license.  The bank employees (4 of them were involved) informed me I am not permitted to deposit cash into the account nor remit money from the United States.  Only my sister.  Why?

A manager had to be called to explain.  I did not have my Philippine Taxpayer Identity Number (TIN).  Last time I can recall using it was 1985 for income tax filing.  The bank needed the information in the event I have a tax liability on the interest paid.  Hugh?  The opening amount was P10,000 for a checking account.  How much interest could I possibly earn?  Apologies, but it was bank policy.

• Sad 1

Possum
Posted
Posted
48 minutes ago, JJReyes said:

The bank employees (4 of them were involved) informed me I am not permitted to deposit cash into the account nor remit money from the United States.  Only my sister.  Why?

My wife and I have a joint dollar savings account and I transfer dollars from the US bank and Wise with no problems.

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
58 minutes ago, JJReyes said:

A manager had to be called to explain.  I did not have my Philippine Taxpayer Identity Number (TIN).  Last time I can recall using it was 1985 for income tax filing.  The bank needed the information in the event I have a tax liability on the interest paid.  Hugh?  The opening amount was P10,000 for a checking account.  How much interest could I possibly earn?  Apologies, but it was bank policy.

I don't have a TIN and BPI is happy to deduct tax from my interest.  I wonder where it goes?

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
11 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

I don't have a TIN and BPI is happy to deduct tax from my interest.  I wonder where it goes?

I have often wondered that myself

• Like 1

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Jack Peterson said:

Probably a money laundering issue check. :shock_40_anim_gif: Boy am I glad I am not in your vacation entourage with all your reported problems this time :smile: 

Philippines is on the money laundering Grey list of the Financial Action Task Force (FATF) with countries like Uganda, Syria and South Sudan.  Only 3 countries are on the Black list, namely: North Korea, Iran and Myanmar.  Philippine banks are exercising caution as the country tries to get out of this international list.