Filipino Food

justdavid
Posted
Posted
On 2/2/2024 at 8:42 AM, craftbeerlover said:

Just curious what everybody eats and or avoids.   I have been eating Filipino food for about 34 years now I guess, and I have some favorites and a few that I avoid

Some of my favorite soups are

Sinigang, Tinola, Bulalo, arroz caldo (not sure that is really a soup), chicken macaroni sopas, Chicken Sotanghon, nilagang, Lomi

Lot of tasty filipino soups!!

meals, of course adobo, afritada, calderetta, bicol express, Ginataang tuna (actually anything with coconut milk), Kinilaw

breakfast is where I think filipino foods are really lacking, although I like tortang talong, fried galungoong with eggs and rice, Tinolang Halaan (clam soup with ginger, tomatoes, and sili leaves) eat that also with fried galunggoong.  

Most of all of the above I add patis with sili!!

I am sure there are a lot more.  Over the last many decades I find myself bashing filipino cuisine, because compared to the rest of Asia, I think it is really subpar, having said that, in all fairness, there are actually quite a few filipino foods I really really enjoy.

What I avoid

Most of the breakfast meats...most are sugar coated meat or meat coated sugar.  The non sugar breakfast meats are just biting into lumps of fat and gristle.    not a big fan if sisig as most of the sisig I have eaten was akin to eating that tub of lard your grandmother would keep on the stove for frying.     I am not a big fan of Lechon, I find it severely lacking seasoning.   I can eat dried fish but not a big fan.   I dont eat any of the street foods, for the most part I think the street food sucks, especially when compared to countries like Thailand, Malaysia, Korea and Indonesia.   and of course Filipino Spaghetti

we have the same filipino favorite dishes.