A failed state, anyone?

Lee
Posted
Posted

IMO this back and forth resembles 2 dogs fighting over a rag.

WHAT once promised to teach the nation the merits of constitutional democracy has quickly turned into a vulgar personal exchange between President Ferdinand Marcos Jr. and former president Rodrigo Duterte about their alleged respective drug addictions.

After denouncing the administration's move to amend the Constitution through "people's initiative" by questionable means, Duterte described Marcos as a "drug addict" who may not be fit to govern. Marcos laughed off the charge, saying it was probably the result of "fentanyl," a dangerous opioid, which Duterte had earlier admitted taking as a pain killer.

To this Duterte quickly responded by asking Marcos to join him in a public drug test at Manila's famous Rizal Park. So far, the President has ignored the challenge. This appears to put Duterte ahead in the propaganda exchange; it doesn't mean, however, that he has the goods on the President. It seems to me that if Duterte had any evidence of Marcos taking cocaine or any other illegal drug, he would have done something about it while he was running the world's bloodiest drug war. His daughter Sara would not have run as Marcos' vice president in 2022; he would have insisted that she run for president instead and Marcos for vice president. Or worse, he could have made Marcos the highest-ranking casualty of his drug war.

Thousands were said to have died in that war. This is what the Mindanao lawyer Jude Sabio told the International Criminal Court (ICC) at The Hague when he accused Duterte of "crimes against humanity" in 2017. The accusation compelled Duterte in 2019 to revoke the Philippine membership in the Statute of Rome that created the ICC in 1998 and came into force in 2002. That same year, Sabio had a change of heart and withdrew his complaint before the ICC, but it had no effect on the information already in the hands of the ICC concerning crimes committed in the Philippines when it was still an ICC member.

When Marcos became president in mid-2022, he promised to protect Duterte from the court's claimed jurisdiction. He has maintained this position ever since, even though he was recently quoted as saying he was considering the possibility of the Philippines rejoining the Statute of Rome. But a number of congressmen close to House Speaker Ferdinand Martin Romualdez, the President's first cousin, had filed non-binding resolutions calling for close cooperation with the ICC in investigating the former president. This has provoked the anger of the former president and his vice president-daughter.

Since then, the political relationship between Marcos and his predecessor has soured. Aside from the non-binding resolutions on the ICC, a House proposal to amend the Constitution through a "people's initiative" has poured fuel into the fire. A constitutional amendment through "people's initiative" requires 12 percent of the nation's registered voters to propose the specific constitutional amendment/s, provided not a single legislative district is represented by less than 3 percent of the same. These can only be simple amendments, not a revision of any major part of the Constitution, such as the form and structure of government. The amendments must also come directly from the people, not from members of Congress or any other source, acting fraudulently on behalf of "the people."

There are allegations that the House has released P20 million per legislative district to "buy" people's signatures in support of the proposed initiative, even if the supposed "petition" does not carry any proposed people's "amendment/s." The House has denied these allegations, but an ongoing Senate investigation has produced proof of its active involvement in the campaign for signatures on the "people's petition" that contains no proposed amendment/s.

Evidently, the Dutertes, father and daughter, see the House initiative as a naked attempt to rewrite the political scenario in 2028 when Vice President Sara is expected to run for president as Marcos' possible successor. Duterte has singled out the speaker's effort to be seen as Marcos' possible successor—and therefore Sara's direct competitor — as the cause of his family's, and the nation's, political troubles. But his current attack on Marcos may have turned that into yesterday's news: Duterte's focus is now on Marcos rather than on Romualdez.

Some political sources have expressed fear that unless cooler heads intervene and Marcos and Duterte are able to talk to each other again, their word war could lead to a mobilization of hostile forces, especially if Marcos revokes his commitment to protect Duterte from the ICC, and Duterte presses his call for secession of Mindanao from the republic, and a withdrawal of military support for the commander in chief, similar to the one that ousted the elder Marcos in 1986. Unless we are ready to become a failed state, we cannot allow this unhappy situation to deteriorate.

A failed state, anyone? (msn.com)

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
49 minutes ago, Lee said:

A constitutional amendment through "people's initiative" requires 12 percent of the nation's registered voters to propose the specific constitutional amendment/s, provided not a single legislative district is represented by less than 3 percent of the same.

I am not bothered much by two politicians throwing rocks at each other.  What does worry me is being able to amend the constitution via "A constitutional amendment through "people's initiative" requires 12 percent of the nation's registered voters to propose the specific constitutional amendment/s, provided not a single legislative district is represented by less than 3 percent of the same."  Twelve percent of the population is a VERY SMALL percentage of people to make such a fundamental change in government.  This would be true if ANY country, even more so here in the Philippines.  And it would probably not take much vote buying.  I expect if you put a petition in front of 100 people and tell it will "good for you and good for the country", more than 12 percent would sign without reading and/or understanding the ramifications of what they were signing.  

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Philippines became a failed state July 4 1946. :sad:

This book speaks of Philippines; Collapse: How Societies Choose to Fail or Succeed: Revised Edition, by Jared Diamond.

Jared Diamond also wrote, Guns, Germs, and Steel: The Fates of Human Societies. Highly recommended.

• Like 2

Lee
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Old55 said:

Philippines became a failed state July 4 1946.

“I would rather have a government run like hell by Filipinos than a government run like heaven by Americans.”     President Quezon   Dec 1939

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
18 hours ago, Lee said:

President Quezon   Dec 1939

I would say he got his wish :cryingwhilelaughing_anim:

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

MotorSarge
Posted
Posted
On 2/4/2024 at 4:52 PM, Old55 said:

Philippines became a failed state July 4 1946. :sad:

This book speaks of Philippines; Collapse: How Societies Choose to Fail or Succeed: Revised Edition, by Jared Diamond.

Jared Diamond also wrote, Guns, Germs, and Steel: The Fates of Human Societies. Highly recommended.

Once again,

My reply was not posted because of those who monitor/control the website are politically bias.

I replied in the same manner of the original content/thought but equally posing the same type of failing government of the US under the leadership of Joe Biden.

JGF...Make it simple....Remove me before my posts.

• Love it 1

craftbeerlover
Posted
Posted
On 2/5/2024 at 6:25 AM, Mike J said:

I am not bothered much by two politicians throwing rocks at each other.  What does worry me is being able to amend the constitution via "A constitutional amendment through "people's initiative" requires 12 percent of the nation's registered voters to propose the specific constitutional amendment/s, provided not a single legislative district is represented by less than 3 percent of the same." 

These are way more than just "two politicians".   One, for reasons beyond my knowledge has seemingly irregular close ties to a country that is systematically acquiring Philippines territory, the door was left wide open, and "allegedly" had tens of thousands of filipinos killed (mostly very poor filipinos).    Then again, it is business as usual, two powerful families vying for power.   These two going at each other worries me more than amending the constitution.   Lets hope it is just smoke and no fire.

• Like 1

Lee1154
Posted
Posted
17 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

Greetings Motorsarge.

Perhaps you did not read nor remember the guidelines regarding this forum? If not, then here are some of them that I copied and posted here for your benefit and/or refreshment?

>Topics

Topics on this forum are to be Philippine related; religious or political posts are not allowed unless they relate to the Philippines.

Off Topics

Topics not related to the Philippines can be discussed here except for religion and politics. These topics cause problems.

It is expected that forum members will behave like mature adults and conduct themselves in that manner at all times. The atmosphere of the forum is relaxed and informal. If you have any problems, please contact a Forum Support Team Member or an Admin.<

So, please conduct yourself as a mature adult.... Okay?

I post this with all due respect to you..

"Political posts are not allowed"???  The original post and entire discussion is about politics so admin reply is VERY confusing.

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
6 minutes ago, Lee1154 said:

"Political posts are not allowed"???  The original post and entire discussion is about politics so admin reply is VERY confusing.

Original post is about Philippine politics which is allowed.  A political post in the thread was hidden because it referenced USA politics. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2