Citi Hardware

Lee
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Mike J said:

<snip>Water resistance: All types of ceramic tile are moisture-resistant. Stain resistance: Stains aren't a concern for ceramic tile. Fade resistance: Don't worry that your tile will lose its luster, as ceramic tile surfaces won't fade from the sun, indoors or out.<end snip>

This is my believe also but I'm no expert.

1 hour ago, OnMyWay said:

How long is yours?  The largest I have seen is 600 mm.

The box says that it cut tiles up to 21' or 533 MM.

I have seen tile cutters at Wilcon that might have been twice this size. I think I paid a little over 2K for mine. When the guides are set up correctly you can crank out tiles quite quickly without the mess and noise.

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
52 minutes ago, Lee said:

I have seen tile cutters at Wilcon that might have been twice this size. I think I paid a little over 2K for mine. When the guides are set up correctly you can crank out tiles quite quickly without the mess and noise.

According to the guy in the video the scoring machine does not work well with porcelain.  I might have ceramic tile to cut too, so I might pickup a small one.  If I end up getting ceramic for the big tiles I will take a look at Wilcon for a larger cutter.

@mikej  @old55  Can you split these tiling posts into a new topic?  Tiling?  I hijacked my own post!

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
22 hours ago, hk blues said:

I take your point but I guess I'm talking from my practice where I buy the tiles literally as the tiling is being done and most tiling jobs are 1 or 2 days so the probability is the store will still have the tile BUT they key point is ensuring they have sufficient stock at the outset  i.e. not just a few boxes.  If that wasn't the case then I'd do as you suggest - buy that 10% extra just in case.  

Actually I might be able to do this with the CR we are starting on.  We found a tile we like and they have a huge stock of it, so I can buy the minimum and go back if needed.

hk blues
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Mike J said:

I have never heard or experienced tile fading?  Is that a problem here in the the Philippines, maybe cheap tile? 

from Google

<snip>Water resistance: All types of ceramic tile are moisture-resistant. Stain resistance: Stains aren't a concern for ceramic tile. Fade resistance: Don't worry that your tile will lose its luster, as ceramic tile surfaces won't fade from the sun, indoors or out.<end snip>

Definitely happens to any tile exposed to sunlight and/or regular cleaning with basic household chemicals.  Most people would never know as the only time it's apparent is when a new tile is laid next to an old one - how many people ever do that?  As long as it's consistent it isn't an issue but try and replace the tile after a certain period of time and you'll definitely be able to tell. 

Here's another couple of quotes from Google -

"Do tiles fade over time?

Tile colors can fade for a number of reasons. Even good tiles tend to build up a dirty layer that often discolors or fades the original color. Using proper window colors can be a solution to this issue. Sunlight is the most common cause of fading tile colors over time" .Aug 25, 2020

"Fading tiles can be caused by overuse of strong chemicals on some types of natural stone, which will etch or leave a surface burn on the stone. Fading tiles can also be caused by prolonged exposure to strong UV light, which can be seen as a lightening of the tile colour only in areas in strong direct sunlight".

• Thanks 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
21 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

According to the guy in the video the scoring machine does not work well with porcelain.

Definitely true.  Porcelain is a vitreous tile, extremely hard and brittle.  A wet saw with diamond blade is the way to go.

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Mike J said:

A wet saw with diamond blade is the way to go.

In the U.S., I would agree because the wet saws are widely available for sale or rent.  Even then, the blades can be very expensive.

Here in the Philippines, not so easy.  I don't see any wet saws on any of the websites I have been looking at, e.g., Wilcon, Lazada, etc.  And rentals??  Might be possible in Manila.

I might pickup a scoring tool for the ceramic tiles we will use in some places.

Did you watch the video I posted?  Good info.  His weapon of choice is the grinder, including for porcelain.  Go to about the 10 minute mark.  Gotta get good blades tho.

• Like 1

Gator
Posted
Posted
13 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

Gotta get good blades tho.

Don, when I go out later I’ll try to remember to check if they have any plus any other tools or a wet saw at Dau Agri and let you know. 

• Like 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted

Knowing what we all know about getting work done here, it's one thing to talk about how it should be done but a whole different one to talk about how it will likely be done - unless you're doing it yourself and even then that's dependent on getting the right tools. Or, unless you're gonna stand over him when he's doing the job.

How many of us have experience of lending a contractor the right tool for the job only to check back later to see he's gone back to his trusty weapon of choice?

My example is buying a notched spreader for the adhesive only to find it discarded once my back was turned!

• Like 2

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted (edited)
40 minutes ago, Gator said:

Don, when I go out later I’ll try to remember to check if they have any plus any other tools or a wet saw at Dau Agri and let you know. 

Funny you said that, as I was just thinking about them for tiling needs!  I wonder if they rent higher end tools like a wet saw?  They only time I saw a wet saw being used was next door.  A counter top guy was sawing granite countertops with one, so they much be available somewhere.

Maybe check if they have a scoring tool.  I found a Total brand for 3200 but I think it was only up to 600.  Ingco has 600 and 800.  I like the Ingco tools.  Seems like better quality than the other Chinese stuff.  I think they carry Ingco at Dau Agri but not the full line like the Ingco stores.

Also, maybe you know or can ask.  Will a scoring tool rated to 600 actually do the full cut on a 600 tile?  I'm going to use some 30 X 60 ceramic in the CR's.

Screenshot (1175).png

Edited by OnMyWay
  • Like 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
8 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

Funny you said that, as I was just thinking about them for tiling needs!  I wonder if they rent higher end tools like a wet saw?  They only time I saw a wet saw being used was next door.  A counter top guy was sawing granite countertops with one, so they much be available somewhere.

Maybe check if they have a scoring tool.  I found a Total brand for 3200 but I think it was only up to 600.  Ingco has 600 and 800.  I like the Ingco tools.  Seems like better quality than the other Chinese stuff.  I think they carry Ingco at Dau Agri but not the full line like the Ingco stores.

Also, maybe you know or can ask.  Will a scoring tool rated to 600 actually do the full cut on a 600 tile?  I'm going to use some 30 X 60 ceramic in the CR's.

Screenshot (1175).png

Sounds like you're doing it yourself  - that's a wise choice IMHO.