Gotyme Bank

Gutenberg
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

It appears the bonus rates are only paid until February 29, and only paid up to 100k.  However, the 3.5% base rate is the best I have heard of in the Philippines.

https://www.maya.ph/deals/savings/boost-your-interest-up-to-14-pa-when-you-pay-with-maya-2023-november

I just saw their example picture. You might be right about their "interest duration". Or what I suspect is that it's meant to be that you have to qualify in that specific time frame to get the additional 8,5%. It's a bit obscure.

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, Gutenberg said:

I just saw their example picture. You might be right about their "interest duration". Or what I suspect is that it's meant to be that you have to qualify in that specific time frame to get the additional 8,5%. It's a bit obscure.

I might open an account.  I use Maya for some bills every month but I am not upgraded yet.

Gutenberg
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, OnMyWay said:

I might open an account.  I use Maya for some bills every month but I am not upgraded yet.

Once I am in the PH I will open or try to open an account as well. I am not really interested in this interests stuff but it's seem to be one of the easier banks for foreigners with a good app and they even have flawlessly integrated Crypto.

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
52 minutes ago, Gutenberg said:

seem to be one of the easier banks for foreigners

That might be an excellent point.  I wonder what they ask from a foreigner on a tourist visa.

craftbeerlover
Posted
Posted
16 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

I looked at their website.  Interesting concept.  Might be worth risking some money but not too much.  5% interest but I assume that 20% tax will be deducted and gone forever.

"

Any interest earned from a peso bank deposit is subject to a 20% final withholding tax as required by the Bureau of Internal Revenue (BIR)."  Appears to be unavoidable, probably ends up being like 4 percent interest, does that sound about right?

• Like 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
16 hours ago, Jack Peterson said:

Apparently, Time locked accounts do not incur tax on Interest providing the Total investment remains in Time lock :tiphat:

I looked into fixed deposit accounts a few years back and yes,  interest was not taxed as long as it remained in the account. But, it had to be locked on for minimum 5 years. 

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, hk blues said:

interest was not taxed as long as it remained in the account. But, it had to be locked on for minimum 5 years. 

Yes I neglected to say this, My bad:ohmy:

• Like 2

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, craftbeerlover said:

"

Any interest earned from a peso bank deposit is subject to a 20% final withholding tax as required by the Bureau of Internal Revenue (BIR)."  Appears to be unavoidable, probably ends up being like 4 percent interest, does that sound about right?

Yes, but another factor, not a big one, is that technically you need to pay U.S. taxes on that interest.  You get credit for the foreign tax so it ends up being a wash.  My 2023 converted interest at BPI was $24.27 and tax withheld was $5.24.  I report it because the banks here are all reporting it to the IRS.  I also have to do FBAR.

• Like 1