Hospitality Industry Pay

hk blues
Posted
Posted
31 minutes ago, JJReyes said:

Easy.  I follow the cultural rule most beneficial to me.  My birthday is never celebrated in the Philippines (where I have to pay for it) by explaining, "It's against my religion."  No further explanation is given.

I'll keep that in mind the next time you explain why we are doing it wrong here by not following local culture.  

• Like 2

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, JJReyes said:

1 hour ago, JJReyes said:

Easy.  I follow the cultural rule most beneficial to me.  My birthday is never celebrated in the Philippines (where I have to pay for it) by explaining, "It's against my religion."  No further explanation is given.

:shock_40_anim_gif: Now there is  a Mixture of  Cultural Filipino thoughts, Me-Me-Me and No Budget but plenty of Budget for Tips  to obtain Freebies or more personal care and attention :89: BTW I and attacking the Post not the Poster but if the cap fits well.........

Edited by Jack Peterson
Just because
  • Like 2

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, JJReyes said:

Sounds like someone is reminiscing about the days of Empire. 

We Still have the Commonwealth Wot u got? :89:

• Haha 1

stevewool
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, JJReyes said:

Sounds like someone is reminiscing about the days of Empire. 

Joking aside, I notice Filipino service staff constantly asking, "Where are you from?"  It might not be idle curiosity.  They might be ranking guests regarding tipping practices.  Chinese, Koreans and Japanese are probably low on the totem pole.  Brits, Europeans and Australians are somewhere in the middle.  At the top are Americans because they come from a tipping culture.  

I’m British and I always tip for a good service , infact while visiting the Philippines I left to much so in the end the wife left the tip which at the time I found the amount she left was embarrassing , but I realised know , not to sure about Americans and there tipping culture , I always thought it was part of the bill 

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
Spoiler
2 hours ago, hk blues said:

I'll keep that in mind the next time you explain why we are doing it wrong here by not following local culture.  

1 hour ago, Jack Peterson said:

:shock_40_anim_gif: Now there is a Mixture of Cultural Filipino thoughts, Me-Me-Me and No Budget but plenty of Budget for Tips to obtain Freebies or more personal care and attention :89: BTW I and attacking the Post not the Poster but if the cap fits well.........

I know.  I know.  Very hypocritical of me.  This cultural conflict is one reason why I left many years ago.  The expectation here is you must abide to established rules.  In addition, there's my wife's family with Japanese customs and traditions to follow.  

With regards to tipping, the expectation in the United States is 20% minimum and you won't even get a "Thank you." for giving it.  During this visit, an extra P50 or P100 is highly appreciated.  Their "Thank you" is sincere.   This is on top of the automatic 5%, 7.5% or 10% service charge which may or may not go to the employees.  (The national government is trying to pass laws that 100% goes to employees, not managers and owners.) 

The reason for not following local culture is because we have been away for so long.  With this forum, I am sharing what I know based on past experiences. 

• Like 4

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, JJReyes said:

With this forum, I am sharing what I know based on past experiences. 

Which change slowly as one would not expect, in the Past 18 years I have been around here I am now steadily going off the culture kick that proves only, that everything that is done is for oneself without regard to others even Family in many cases. It only changes when the people go abroad and they become the Foreigner that many times can not understand or cope with the culture kick away from here. 

Yet we (the foreigner) are expected to follow archaic practices. It is so wrong in many cases, yet it continues. It is 2024 not the mid 1900s:tiphat:

Edited by Jack Peterson
Just because
  • Like 5

Lee1154
Posted
Posted
23 hours ago, JJReyes said:

We are leaving Cebu for Manila tomorrow morning.  Several wait staff personnel passed by our table to thank us for our generosity.  Although breakfast is included with our hotel stay, our policy is to give P50 to the person attending to our needs, like reheating lukewarm porridge using the kitchen microwave.  During today's conversations, we learned five of them are "interns" and receive no pay.  As trainees sent by their school, they are gaining work experience.  Others are "casuals" which means minimum wage and no benefits.  Only a few are "regulars" or full-time employees.  The dream of trainees and casuals is overseas employment in cruise ships, international hotels and resorts.  A prestigious property experience is good for their resume'.

Every day, there was some else assigned to our table.  I realized today this was on purpose.  Interns would then, on a rotation basis, get P50.  

Thanks for the info.  I had no idea.

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
19 hours ago, hk blues said:

On one hand we are 'advised' to follow local culture yet on the other hand some are insistent on introducing customs from elsewhere. 

I have seen comments like these before on the board about how we need to respect and follow the "local" culture. That has gotten me to thinking about this over the years. 

What is the "Filipino" culture? Are we talking about the culture of the 10 major tribal groups that occupied the islands before the arrival of the Spanish? Or are we talking about the cultural habits introduced by the Spanish (many of which are actually Mexican/Atzec in origin) Or the culture aspects that were brought to the islands by the Chinese merchants/pirates who have controlled large sections of of the western coast over 1000 years before the arrival of the Spanish. (the Barangay next to us is named Don Galo after a local hero how defeated a Chinese bandit group). Or are we talking about hamburger, hotdog, pizza and hotdog culture introduced during the 50 years of American "colonization"? 

A good example is the National formal dress. The Barong Tagalog which was worn by men worn before the Spanish arrived and the Mara Clara worn by women which is entirely Spanish in origin.

So the burning question is,,,,,,,,,,what is this Filipino culture we are supposed to respect?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, scott h said:

,,what is this Filipino culture we are supposed to respect?

Apparently and in the words of our Filipino OP (Original Poster) the one that is Beneficial to you:shades:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

hk blues
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Jack Peterson said:

Apparently and in the words of our Filipino OP (Original Poster) the one that is Beneficial to you:shades:

Damn Jack, you took the words out of my mouth! 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1