Philippines Transportation Stories

hk blues
Posted
Posted
16 hours ago, Viking said:

Can't help wondering how this situation had developed IF the LTO officer hadn't witnessed it?

As there was no damage to either vehicle I I doubt anything would escalate - and if the LTO guy hadn't been there there is almost no chance the other driver would have stopped anyway.  

• Like 1

Maxheadspace
Posted
Posted
On 2/26/2024 at 7:46 PM, Viking said:

That was a great story!

Also the reason why I always plan to be close to the airport (same Island) the day before departure.

Same here.  I'm retired, so I set my own pace.  I get there the day before and can be more relaxed making it to the airport.  I got a room at the Hop Inn hotel in Makati for $27 last week.  They're no-frills hotels, but clean, well serviced and courteous staff.  And the next day I have a no rush trip to the airport.

• Like 5

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted
On 2/25/2024 at 10:20 PM, Jollygoodfellow said:

I don't find that in Cebu City. Years ago yes but not these days. You only have to look at the taxis lined up at the It Park Mall and none are old.

Same for me. Out of the twenty or more cabs this past week only one was kinda beat up. However poor aircon is common. 

You must have been unlucky JJ.

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted
On 2/26/2024 at 1:15 AM, Possum said:

Agree. That's why when people comment that the Filipino people are kind and polite I always ask, "Have you ever driven there?"

It's been two years I last visited Cebu. This week I've noticed a real change in driving attitude some road rage. Also dangerously aggressive driving seems common now. 

• Like 2

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
15 hours ago, Old55 said:

Same for me. Out of the twenty or more cabs this past week only one was kinda beat up. However poor aircon is common. 

You must have been unlucky JJ.

There was a brief period when white taxis in Metro Manila were pulled off the road after 5 years. Their licenses were not renewed.  Now, 10 to 20 years are more common.  The new offer were yellow (tourist) taxis, and their meter ran at about 150% of white ones.  I don't know what happened to them.  Now, the new vehicles are Grab.  About 5 or 6 years ago, wealthy families started buying new vehicles to get into this business. 

We used to get an Uber or Lyft from the airport to where our vehicle is stored for $15 to $20.  Yesterday, the price was $42 plus tip.  If you don't tip, they add a marker on your profile.  Drivers then have an option to decline.  It is still cheaper than getting a metered taxi.

usa32
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, JJReyes said:

There was a brief period when white taxis in Metro Manila were pulled off the road after 5 years. Their licenses were not renewed.  Now, 10 to 20 years are more common.  The new offer were yellow (tourist) taxis, and their meter ran at about 150% of white ones.  I don't know what happened to them.  Now, the new vehicles are Grab.  About 5 or 6 years ago, wealthy families started buying new vehicles to get into this business. 

We used to get an Uber or Lyft from the airport to where our vehicle is stored for $15 to $20.  Yesterday, the price was $42 plus tip.  If you don't tip, they add a marker on your profile.  Drivers then have an option to decline.  It is still cheaper than getting a metered taxi.

only reason i started using uber, was to not have to tip. When they started there was no place to tip that was one of their selling points.