Hors Claws, seafood.

Viking
Posted
Posted

Bought this the other day in SM. 350 pesos for 1/2 kilo of pure meat.

Marinated in garlic, chili, salt and oil, then stir fried. Turned out to be really easy and delicious. 

Definitely something we will buy again!

IMG_20240225_140045754.jpg

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

Crab claws?  Is it real crab or fish to look like crab?

Edit - found it via google

<snip>HORS CLAWS - Claw -Shaped Crab Flavoured Fish Product<end snip>

Gator
Posted
Posted
57 minutes ago, Mike J said:

HORS CLAWS - Claw -Shaped Crab Flavoured Fish Product<end snip>

That’s what I thought when I first seen it. Looked like imitation crab. I used to buy it occasionally in the USA. Was good for making a mayo based “crab salad” or adding some to a regular type salad, stir fry, casserole, etc. Only negative thing is it tends to be a bit high in sodium. 

IMG_0192.jpeg

IMG_0193.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Viking
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Mike J said:

Crab claws?  Is it real crab or fish to look like crab?

Edit - found it via google

<snip>HORS CLAWS - Claw -Shaped Crab Flavoured Fish Product<end snip>

I actually thought it was some kind of crab claws, lol. But when looking closer at the description it's actually fish! I was fooled by the look of it because it's in the shape of claws.

We have similar products in Sweden, but there it's not allowed to imitate the real deal.

Anyway, it tasted good and I will buy it again 👍.IMG_20240226_085654798.jpg

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

In the USA they can sell imitation crab but by law it must be spelled "krab".  I would use it when preparing crab salad.   Real crab was very expensive and I just couldn't see paying so much when I was using it in a salad. 

• Like 1

jimeve
Posted
Posted

I new something was a bit fishy when I saw the post, pun intended. Apart from it being 14 grams of carbs I can't see anything wrong, may have coloring in, don't know, sodium is high but I need sodium in my diet. Having just had another peep I can see a lot of chemicals.

A big NO from me.

• Like 2

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, jimeve said:

I new something was a bit fishy when I saw the post, pun intended. Apart from it being 14 grams of carbs I can't see anything wrong, may have coloring in, don't know, sodium is high but I need sodium in my diet. Having just had another peep I can see a lot of chemicals.

A big NO from me.

Same here.  We low carbers avoid those sugars, oils and chemicals.

In general, I avoid the crabs.  Very itchy and takes forever to get rid of them.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Viking
Posted
Posted
17 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

In general, I avoid the crabs.  Very itchy and takes forever to get rid of them.

😂

• Haha 1

Viking
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, jimeve said:

A big NO from me.

It's probably not the healthiest meal you can have, but once in a while doesn't make me too worried.

• Like 2

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, Viking said:

It's probably not the healthiest meal you can have, but once in a while doesn't make me too worried.

Yup, I have enjoying fake crab and lobster many times.  It is amazing that they can copy the taste like they do.  I think they use those in many sushi places.

• Like 2