A dismal report on education

craftbeerlover
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Tommy T. said:

After all the above, there is something you all seem to ignore....

I believe Filipinos are probably in the top 95% of cell phone proficiency and 100% for FaceBook!:whistling:

especially the waiters and waitresses

• Love it 1
  • Haha 1

craftbeerlover
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, Lee said:

In the 2018 PISA, The Philippines ranked last among 79 participating countries and economies in reading and second to last in science and mathematics. At least 78% of students in the Philippines failed to reach minimum levels of proficiency in each of the three PISA subjects.

If this did not wake up those in power, then nothing will.  What an absolute embarrassment.    Filipino Pride!!!

• Like 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
47 minutes ago, craftbeerlover said:

If this did not wake up those in power, then nothing will.  What an absolute embarrassment.    Filipino Pride!!!

That assumes they actually want to improve the lot of the people.  It sometimes doesn't appear to be the case but I suspect it's not so much that as it's not the highest priority.

• Like 3

craftbeerlover
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, hk blues said:

That assumes they actually want to improve the lot of the people.  It sometimes doesn't appear to be the case but I suspect it's not so much that as it's not the highest priority.

they absolutely do not want it to improve.  Christ, then they would have to drive themselves to the store, wait in bank lines, wash their own clothes, cook their own food, raise their own children etc etc etc etc etc...

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted

Please take note:

Since New Year's Day, I believe that there have been no more than three weeks (5 days/week) of classes in local high schools here in Davao City.

It seems like every week there is either a legal holiday or some DepEd function that occurs on a Friday and therefore no classes. I know this because L, my partner is a high school teacher. Virtually every week there is a holiday or day off for one reason or another. As I began this post (I never counted actually) my remembrance, poor as it is, seems to be that only 3 weeks or so have had full 5-day week classes since the start of the New Year. And then people wonder why the kids don't get much learning?

Sorry... That was a bit of a rant. But I hated school and now wish I had gone to school here as a kid since there are so many holidays!!!

craftbeerlover
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

Please take note:

Since New Year's Day, I believe that there have been no more than three weeks (5 days/week) of classes in local high schools here in Davao City.

It seems like every week there is either a legal holiday or some DepEd function that occurs on a Friday and therefore no classes. I know this because L, my partner is a high school teacher. Virtually every week there is a holiday or day off for one reason or another. As I began this post (I never counted actually) my remembrance, poor as it is, seems to be that only 3 weeks or so have had full 5-day week classes since the start of the New Year. And then people wonder why the kids don't get much learning?

Sorry... That was a bit of a rant. But I hated school and now wish I had gone to school here as a kid since there are so many holidays!!!

One of the driving reasons as to why things will never ever change here.

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
5 minutes ago, craftbeerlover said:

One of the driving reasons as to why things will never ever change here.

Yes But the Locals do Not like change, as is suits the majority

• Like 1