Grab and credit card

hk blues
Posted
Posted
8 minutes ago, Possum said:

A few years ago a trike driver quoted me 150 to go 2 km. I told him I'd walk and walked one block got a trike for 50. On another occasion all I had was a 200 peso note to pay for a 100 peso fare. Driver said no change so I gave him my phone number told him to call me when he got change and I'd pay him. Started walking off and he found the change in his pocket. These guys try but they are no worse than I've seen in other places. The Miami taxi drivers who claim not to speak the  English will drive you all over the place to run up the fare if you don't know your way around; many other examples all over the world.

Sure, they may try it on although that's genuinely not a thing where I am - a metropolitan city thing mainly maybe? - but the idea that you simply  won't get change of 500php from a trike driver is outside of my imagination - perhaps in a taxi it's more likely but only if the fare is like 300php+.  It just takes a bit of insistence as per your example. Anyhow, it isn't that hard to make sure you have small notes - it's not like we are living in a cash-free country after all and cash is kinda essential for daily life here more than in much more developed countries.  

Yep, 'scamming' taxi drivers over the world are a universal truth.  

• Like 1

Sailor Jerry
Posted
Posted

On 3/1/2024 at 4:23 AM, JJJ said:

Can I link my foreign credit card to the Grab app so I do not have to pay cash in Manila?

Thanks

I pay my Grab from my Metrobank account online. My girlfriend has a Grab Cash account so we go to a 7/11 and pay thru the load machine 1k each time.

Sorry maybe I'm missing something here. Can't you just put cash in from time to time when needed rather than using a credit card especially a foreign one? 

• Like 4

Maxheadspace
Posted
Posted
On 3/1/2024 at 3:56 PM, MikeyD said:

The advantage of using Grab is that you don't have to worry about having to deal with taxi drivers not having change.  

But I've had the same problem with Grab when using cash.  "Do you have change for P1000?  Sorry, I don't."  So whether taxi or Grab, I always ensure I have smaller bills than P1000, and I usually keep a wad of P20 bills in my right pocket for tips.

• Like 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
43 minutes ago, Maxheadspace said:

But I've had the same problem with Grab when using cash.  "Do you have change for P1000?  Sorry, I don't."  So whether taxi or Grab, I always ensure I have smaller bills than P1000, and I usually keep a wad of P20 bills in my right pocket for tips.

Of course - I have to admit I'm surprised reading this thread how many of us don't take this simple precaution.  My grandfather was like that - when he died there was a smallish suitcase full of coins as a result!  When I go to SM on a Sunday I leave with my wallet with 1000php notes only but when I return I have change of at least 1000 for day-to-day use.  

• Like 1

Youngster
Posted
Posted
On 3/1/2024 at 4:23 AM, JJJ said:

Can I link my foreign credit card to the Grab app so I do not have to pay cash in Manila?

Thanks

I’ve had several US credit cards linked to grab app since 2016 with no problem. 

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
On 3/5/2024 at 2:21 AM, Youngster said:

I’ve had several US credit cards linked to grab app since 2016 with no problem. 

Weird side note.  I tried to put my new credit card into my Grab account.  There is a 2FA to do this and that went fine, but in the end, it said the card provider (SDFCU) refused it.  I shot an e-mail to SDFCU to see if they know why.

bob1965
Posted
Posted

I linked my wise card to grab. Wise also has virtual cards you can generate a number for. 
and as someone mentioned, you can deposit money into your “grab wallet”.