A big mistake

Gator
Posted
Posted
44 minutes ago, stevewool said:

Here in the UK it’s Mother’s Day and even though Emma and I have no children my own children bring her gifts and cards which I think is very nice , so for a treat for Ems from myself she was allowed to cook herself what ever breakfast she wanted ,yes rice was part of it but also was those tiny dried out fish, my god what did I do , the whole house stinks and it’s even worst when you go upstairs that smell just seems to linger, my poor daughter was nearly sick and has left the house , yes a big mistake but to see Ems happy munching and nibbling on those little fishes, plus it was cheaper then buying flowers or a meal out too, just sitting here now with the windows and doors open wearing my hat and coat , bloody cold weather .

Years ago I made the same mistake. Now dried fish and durian are, at the risk of death and dismemberment, forbidden in my house! 

In Colon (Cebu) near the carbon wet market there’s a short street with nothing but dried fish vendors. Many years ago I made the mistake of walking down it. The smell didn’t hit me right away, but by the time I finally made it to the end of the street I sick to my stomach. Judging by the vomit in the gutter I wasn’t the only one! 🤣

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, stevewool said:

Here in the UK it’s Mother’s Day and even though Emma and I have no children my own children bring her gifts and cards which I think is very nice , so for a treat for Ems from myself she was allowed to cook herself what ever breakfast she wanted ,yes rice was part of it but also was those tiny dried out fish, my god what did I do , the whole house stinks and it’s even worst when you go upstairs that smell just seems to linger, my poor daughter was nearly sick and has left the house , yes a big mistake but to see Ems happy munching and nibbling on those little fishes, plus it was cheaper then buying flowers or a meal out too, just sitting here now with the windows and doors open wearing my hat and coat , bloody cold weather .

What, no dirty kitchen in back, where she can cook dried fish in the freezing cold UK weather?  Then only your neighbors will gag!

• Haha 2

gbmmbg
Posted
Posted

There must be something wrong with me. The smell of dried fish doesn't even make it to my "top 10 of things that smell bad". I actuality like the taste of dried squid. 

• Like 3

stevewool
Posted
Posted

Day 2 , the smell just seems to linger, doors and windows open , smelly stuff sprayed everywhere trying to either get rid of the smell or hide it , any other tips appreciated , by the way what was left to cook for another day has found its way into the bin 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Snowy79
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, gbmmbg said:

There must be something wrong with me. The smell of dried fish doesn't even make it to my "top 10 of things that smell bad". I actuality like the taste of dried squid. 

Are you a smoker by any chance? :whistling:

• Hmm thinking 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, stevewool said:

any other tips appreciated ,

Eat out next year, we do, saves all this sort of thing happening:56da632e94212_1(60):

Edited by Jack Peterson
punctuation
  • Haha 3

Gator
Posted
Posted
11 minutes ago, stevewool said:

Day 2 , the smell just seems to linger, doors and windows open , smelly stuff sprayed everywhere trying to either get rid of the smell or hide it , any other tips appreciated , by the way what was left to cook for another day has found its way into the bin 

Vinegar should neutralize the odor. Try boiling a 50/50 mix of vinegar and water for about 15-20 minutes. Then pour the mixture down your drain, which could also be causing odors. Follow that with a bit more vinegar (1/2 cup) and a couple of table spoons of baking soda. Let it stand 15 minutes and flush the drain with hot water. 

Once done with the above, to create a more pleasant odor, you can boil some spices like cinnamon (with a chopped up apple if you have one on hand) or ginger for about 20-30 minutes. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

My ladies (Ma & Sprog) use Perfumed incense sticks which last well over an Hour, that seems to do the Trick Nicely, JMHO:tiphat: The also put on a Mosquito Coil as well:smile:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

stevewool
Posted
Posted

E68C0836-03ED-47D0-BA8D-5CEFD7BE57BA.jpegJust got vinegar which I have just done , but found these in a jar and they smell like aniseed, any idea what these are , Emma likes to use jars for putting her unusual stuff in