Pinay moving back to the Philippines

Viking
Posted
Posted

I am curious to know how other pinays adjusted to moving back to the Philippines after living many years abroad.

Me and my wife (pinay) was planning to live part time in the Philippines but to be honest, it feels like she isn't enjoying it much. Lots of complaints about the heat, traffic, inefficiency, lack of logic, laziness, trash, noise, bad smell and other stuff. She lived abroad for almost 40 years and in many ways it's a different country now. I actually think that I like it much better than she does.

Is this something you experienced or did your wife love to be back in their country of birth?

• Like 3

stevewool
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Viking said:

I am curious to know how other pinays adjusted to moving back to the Philippines after living many years abroad.

Me and my wife (pinay) was planning to live part time in the Philippines but to be honest, it feels like she isn't enjoying it much. Lots of complaints about the heat, traffic, inefficiency, lack of logic, laziness, trash, noise, bad smell and other stuff. She lived abroad for almost 40 years and in many ways it's a different country now. I actually think that I like it much better than she does.

Is this something you experienced or did your wife love to be back in their country of birth?

40 years of living somewhere you call home then moving back to somewhere that was once home there must be hard and what you have said about the difference there now must be hard for anyone , the only advice I can give is treat it as a long vacation , get out and about see what’s around the corner so to say , I’ll be following this thread as I’m not to far behind you in what you are trying to plan 

• Like 4

gbmmbg
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Viking said:

She lived abroad for almost 40 years

My wife I lived in the states for 29 years and yes she had a hard time readjusting. She is big on not wasting time and that is the name of the game in P.I.

• Like 3

hk blues
Posted
Posted
16 hours ago, Viking said:

I'm not suggesting your wife is one of those but I've come across a few Filipinos who are a bit snobbish about living abroad and love to highlight the negative points about their home country and emphasise the positive about their adopted country.  My own neighbour is one of those - she evens goes as far as sending over boxes of crap processed food that is no better than what can be bought here - probably worse.  She also sent over a box of Walmart-quality light fittings as she said she couldn't get the same here - nonsense of course.  Last week she advised a newbie not to go to Boracay as the beach was not nice and the water dirty!  

• Like 2

craftbeerlover
Posted
Posted
18 hours ago, Viking said:

Lots of complaints about the heat, traffic, inefficiency, lack of logic, laziness, trash, noise, bad smell and other stuff. She lived abroad for almost 40 years and in many ways it's a different country now

almost all the Filipinos I have known that moved to the US, do not want to come back.  As a matter of fact, I would say 100 percent.  They LOVE to go back on vacation, but that is where it ends. 

• Like 3

stevewool
Posted
Posted

I can honestly say Emma has never criticised her country to me at all, it’s me who does that , we had a good chat last night about moving over there and seeing if it’s what we are both wanting or moving to another part of the world but she wants to try the Philippines first but we should not sell the house we have here she’s told me, because when my time is up , she’s coming back to England to live , what does that tell me 

• Like 1

Viking
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, hk blues said:

I'm not suggesting your wife is one of those but I've come across a few Filipinos who are a bit snobbish about living abroad and love to highlight the negative points about their home country and emphasise the positive about their adopted country.  My own neighbour is one of those - she evens goes as far as sending over boxes of crap processed food that is no better than what can be bought here - probably worse.  She also sent over a box of Walmart-quality light fittings as she said she couldn't get the same here - nonsense of course.  Last week she advised a newbie not to go to Boracay as the beach was not nice and the water dirty!  

I understand what you are saying and I have met persons who are just like that. My wife doesn't belong to that category, she's actually not even close of being a snobby person, thank God for that.

I have always been honest to her what I thought was the downsides of the Philippines. She always defended it and made excuses and could never admit straight up that anything was bad with her country. I think the change in her attitude came after both her parents were gone. Then she could admit that some things were wrong and now she is a bigger criticizer than I am.

I actually think she has realized that I was right all the time and she is feed up to defend something she know is wrong. Maybe she even feel mad that she have defended it for such a long time?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Viking
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, craftbeerlover said:

almost all the Filipinos I have known that moved to the US, do not want to come back.  As a matter of fact, I would say 100 percent.  They LOVE to go back on vacation, but that is where it ends. 

It's the same with the pinays in Sweden. They love to go back on vacation but they don't want to move back permanent.

Viking
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, stevewool said:

I can honestly say Emma has never criticised her country to me at all, it’s me who does that , we had a good chat last night about moving over there and seeing if it’s what we are both wanting or moving to another part of the world but she wants to try the Philippines first but we should not sell the house we have here she’s told me, because when my time is up , she’s coming back to England to live , what does that tell me 

My wife was like Emma for the first 20 years. It didn't change until her parents were gone, after that she started to admit the downsides with her home country and the culture.

She probably like England pretty good 👍

• Like 2