Foreign schools in PH not the solution

stevewool
Posted
Posted

Do folk on here with children attending the school system do home schooling on top of what the school is doing as it seems that the system does not want the children to be better then those who are running the country 

• Hmm thinking 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
4 minutes ago, stevewool said:

Do folk on here with children attending the school system do home schooling on top of what the school is doing as it seems that the system does not want the children to be better then those who are running the country 

:89: That Steve, is definitely Food for thought :tiphat:

Possum
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, stevewool said:

We do and I know of others

• Like 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, stevewool said:

No, other than doing what we can to help our son out with his homework.  My wife says about half of his classmates have tutors or go to after-school tutoring schools.  My son gets more than enough homework as it is without us adding to his workload - certainly much more than I did when I was his age.  Unlike most here, I'm satisfied enough with the education my son is getting.  

(To clarify the tutoring aspect - from what we have been able to gather many seem to be no more than homework clubs where the tutors just help the kids with their homework).  

• Like 5

craftbeerlover
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Possum said:

My children go to a private school but the curriculum is Dept. of Ed mandated

I had quite a few of those conversations with the Admin and teachers regarding the curriculum and more important the grading.  And like you was told everything was mandated by the Dept of Ed, and there is nothing they can do about it.   Even more f'd up than the curriculum was how they graded the students.   A student could literally score average on all of their exam, but end up with a grade 90+.   I was told "participation" counted a lot towards the grades.   I am sure they could tell be the expression on my face what I thought about that.     If you dont mind me asking, how much are paying for the private school?   There are a few near me, and for sure 2 our way out of my price range (like 30k a month if not more)

hk blues
Posted
Posted

Outside of the top 3 private schools in Manilla, from what I've read fees are not prohibitive for those with 'reasonable' means i.e. under $10k a year.  Out of my league but affordable for many here.  Even some of the more prestigious ones come in at around $3k a year i.e. De La Salle.

• Like 1

Possum
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, craftbeerlover said:

If you dont mind me asking, how much are paying for the private school?   There are a few near me, and for sure 2 our way out of my price range (like 30k a month if not more)

We pay 32000/yr at the current school. Montessori, where she used to go before we moved is 50,000. The "international school" here is 85,000-95,000/yr. We are happy with the quality of the teachers at her current school. She finds math, English and science easy compared to her on line classes.

• Thanks 1

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

The Philippines has two education systems:

KNOWLEDGE - Public school teachers feed their students information which they memorize because the correct answers are needed during test taking.

DISCOVERY - Private schools use the inquiry method that teaches students to analyze and come up with an answer.  

Our two sons attended the University of Hawaii Laboratory School under their Curriculum Research & Development Group.  Parents quickly learn the superiority of the discovery method and why it provides students with a quality education.  Why won't the Philippines Department of Education change?  Too expensive and it requires more work.  All current public-school teachers would have to be retrained.   It is easier to provide information read from a book and give a test based on multiple choice.  Essays are hard to read, correct and grade.  At the Lab School, our children were required to write one page in their journal on a daily basis for each class!  The result is superior communication skills.  

• Like 4