Metal Detecting

Geoflats
Posted
Posted

Expat that enjoys metal detecting as a hobby living in Negros for about 6 years now. Always looking for new and interesting places to detect and people interested in the adventure. 

Rooster
Posted
Posted

Very dangerous and risky to do Metal Detecting in The Philippines. Unexploded ordnance from the wars.

• Hmm thinking 1

jimeve
Posted
Posted
22 hours ago, Geoflats said:

Expat that enjoys metal detecting as a hobby living in Negros for about 6 years now. Always looking for new and interesting places to detect and people interested in the adventure. 

Found any 2nd ww stuff yet?:bomb_80_anim_gif:

• Haha 2

P_X
Posted
Posted
On 4/29/2024 at 12:04 PM, Geoflats said:

I imagine it'd be hard to find any good treasure here like you can find in the west. Rings silver coins etc.

Not many Filipino have valuables to lose.

But if you're in a gold bearing area of the phils like places in Luzon,  Mindanao,  masbate, leyte etc, going to those areas might be fun.

I have an equinox 800 and a gold monster 1000,  but they're both back in Seattle.  I wish I'd have brought them here but I probably wouldn't find much other than a few clad peso coins n whatnot. 

Now at one time there were silver coins in the philippines but it'd be hard to find them I'd guess.

On 4/29/2024 at 6:07 PM, Rooster said:

Very dangerous and risky to do Metal Detecting in The Philippines. Unexploded ordnance from the wars.

In Europe metal detection is a very popular hobby..and there's a lot of unexploded ordinance there. 

Fear shouldn't inhibit adventure. Especially such a low risk of finding a bomb.

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, P_X said:

But if you're in a gold bearing area of the phils like places in Luzon,  Mindanao,  masbate, leyte etc, going to those areas might be fun.

No way I would ever try this.  The locals would almost certainly see you as an interloper who is there to "steal our gold" that they haven't found yet.

• Like 1

Snowy79
Posted
Posted

I've just had a friend visit me today, he's into metal detecting. This morning he thinks he found about 30k worth of jewelry in 4hrs of searching. On Boracay. 

received_988490852996631.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Love it 1

P_X
Posted
Posted
On 5/1/2024 at 6:11 AM, Mike J said:

No way I would ever try this.  The locals would almost certainly see you as an interloper who is there to "steal our gold" that they haven't found yet.

Ya fear. Sux that so many live in it. 

So many angles you could take. But instead...just stay home ya?

Locals? Why would you tell them what you're doing if asked?

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, P_X said:

Locals? Why would you tell them what you're doing if asked?

They would not need to ask they will already know :wink: One thing they are Not and that is Stupid :popcorn:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

P_X
Posted
Posted (edited)

Being a miner and avid prospector for 35 years. I tend to discuss this topic whenever it crops up in forums and groups. The majority of people that I've spoken to online, say that when approached by Filipino,  have said  that they don't know what they're doing. 

But of course you and other armchair dudes are gunna act like you know it all. That's fine. Stay home and do what you do. Just stop putting unnecessary fear into others who wanna Branch out. It's annoying. 

Thats pretty much what forums do though..so its par for the course. There are so many things you could say you were doing to throw them off the path..but whatever.  

Marcos passed a small scale miner act btw. If you're on unclaimed,  open lands you have the right to look. But you have to be Filipino.  So, you go out with your wife/ girlfriend and you're good. And frankly,  the basic rule is that you go deep. If it's easy to get to, odds are its already been hit. Deeper you go, the less likely you are to encounter lookieloos.  

But Of course you're a target for unscrupulous types regardless. Same as if you're on colon street taking pics with your iPhone. Riiiiight?

But I vlog on colon with 2k usd worth of gear. Never been snatched from or had any problems.  But if I listened to the average chicken poster online, I'd be walking around with my tail between my legs.

Never once thought Filipino were stupid though.  

33 minutes ago, Jack Peterson said:

They would not need to ask they will already know :wink: One thing they are Not and that is Stupid :popcorn:

Edited by P_X
  • Like 2