Driver license renewal

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

My wife and I both renewed our driver license yesterday.  Even as a senior the process took about three hours.  We each received the 10 year license, plastic not paper.   There was a crowd of at least 100 when we arrived at 8:00 am.  I suspect that we would not have completed the process in a single day without me being a senior.  Wife is not a senior, each staff person allowed her to advance with me to the front of lines, etc.  At my current age, a 10 year license will likely be the last one I ever need. 

LTO web site says men have to wear pants and shoes but I saw a number of Filipinos wearing shorts and slippers so I think it depends on the office.  There was one thing that bothered me a bit.  There was an offer by one of the staff when we ask about the written test.  She said "we (meaning LTO staff) can take the test for 800 peso."  About the test.  The example tests on the LTO web site DO NOT match what is on the actual test.  I took a series of the sample tests, pausing after each test to study any wrong answers.  After an hour or so of taking sample tests I was 100% correct on three consecutive sample tests.  When taking the "official" test, I failed my first three tries, success on number four at 88%.  I helped my wife and she also passed after multiple attempts.  Also there are a number of questions poorly phrased (at least in English) and a number of questions that are ridiculous in my  opinion.   "When can an officer order you to take a breathalyzer?"   The answer is "after you have failed one or more field sobriety tests."   I would not be surprised if there are quite a few people who opt to pay the 800 peso. :sad:

• Like 5

Gas
Posted
Posted (edited)

Why didn’t you do the test from the comfort of your home and maybe a little help from google? 
My wife is renewing today. Very few people just now at the LTO office. 
She planned to do it yesterday, but I said wait a day as Wednesday was a holiday, so there’s usually double the amount of folks after a holiday.
The sign outside says 1hr 50min processing time. We will see.  

Edited by Gas
  • Like 2

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Gas said:

Why didn’t you do the test from the comfort of your home and maybe a little help from google? 

I tried that myself... The online did not work for me, so I had to go to an LTO office to complete my application. They had no reason, but the online connection simply did not work for me. The  system worked okay at the local LTO office so, other than wasting a couple of hours, it worked out okay.

• Like 1

jimeve
Posted
Posted

Passed mine two years ago. Took it at home passed easy. Got the plastic license 6 months ago. Nothing hard at all. Apart from the zoo like LTO.( Dumaguete) Hate that place.

• Like 2

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

I would not be surprised if there are quite a few people who opt to pay the 800 peso. :sad:

Reminds me of a time when the World Health Organization required international travelers to carry a yellow card certifying completion of all vaccinations required.  Enterprising people, known as fixers, were available at the gate to get the vaccines and necessary paperwork.  Must have been very healthy based on the number of shots each of them received every day.  The program eventually ended.

Same thing with driver's licenses.  Someone would be paid to do the paperwork and take the written test.  You were called in for the photo id.  You either succumbed to the racket or be stuck in line for hours.  The fixers had highest priority since everyone from the security guards to clerks to officials who stamped the paperwork got a cut from the daily "proceeds".  I mean, it was well organized.  

My driver's renewal took less than 9 minutes at Rapid City, South Dakota.  I did drive 3,650 miles round trip to get it.  Relatives in Los Angeles claim it takes at least one entire day at nearby DMV offices.  They prefer to drive to Needles, California, nearly 4 hours away, for renewals because there are no lines.  The DMV office in Needles takes less than 45 minutes.  

hk blues
Posted
Posted

Nobody approached my wife or I to pay the 800php to avoid the test.  There was a room full of people taking the test and my guess is none of them were LTO employees but I could be wrong. Also, nobody around has spoken if such a practice around here.

I'm pretty sure this type of nonsense is common but not necessarily in every LTO office.

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, hk blues said:

I'm pretty sure this type of nonsense is common but not necessarily in every LTO office.

I do most of my LTO work at Subic Bay Freeport LTO and they don't do any of that stuff.  Go to Olongapo LTO, a few km away, and you can do most anything.

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, hk blues said:

Nobody approached my wife or I to pay the 800php to avoid the test. 

I don't know at what point she was approached, but my wife paid more than that for "automatic pass", in Olongapo.

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
On 5/3/2024 at 10:06 AM, jimeve said:

Passed mine two years ago. Took it at home passed easy. Got the plastic license 6 months ago.

I took it online and passed, but the Subic Bay Freeport LTO made me take it again in the office.

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
On 5/3/2024 at 6:02 AM, Mike J said:

a number of questions that are ridiculous in my  opinion. 

Mine had a lot of stupid questions about motorcycles.  Not about driving them, about lights, etc.