raising your voice

MikeyD
Posted
Posted

I recently witnessed a disagreement between a foreigner and his Filipina wife where she said she could report him to the police for raising his voice to her.

I have read about this, and it seems to be plausible that any Filipino can report any "unruly/undesirable" foreigner who raises their voice in public or private to a Filipino to the police which might possibly result in police/immigration action such as deportation, blacklisting, being put in jail, etc.  I have also read that it doesn't matter if the accusation is true or not or can be substantiated/corroborated or not.  

Does anyone know about a situation where a foreigner being accused of raising their voice to a Filipino/Filipina that actually resulted in legal/police/immigration action against them?

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

Tell us honestly anyone here that has Never raised his Voice to his Wife, I'll be here :popcorn:

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Snowy79
Posted
Posted

I agree with Jack, most things will be sorted at the Barangay level. I've heard many anecdotal stories about what happens but the only ones I've physically witnessed end up as he said, she said arguments infront of the Barangay. 

One friend who has made multiple bad life choices actually won twice in front of the local Barangay with the accuser being told to wind her neck in. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

stevewool
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Jack Peterson said:

Tell us honestly anyone here that has Never raised his Voice to his Wife, I'll be here :popcorn:

Just a few times myself , then afterwards you regret it as the wife makes you a cup of tea and a slice of cake :smile:

Gutenberg
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, MikeyD said:

I recently witnessed a disagreement between a foreigner and his Filipina wife where she said she could report him to the police for raising his voice to her.

I have read about this, and it seems to be plausible that any Filipino can report any "unruly/undesirable" foreigner who raises their voice in public or private to a Filipino to the police which might possibly result in police/immigration action such as deportation, blacklisting, being put in jail, etc.  I have also read that it doesn't matter if the accusation is true or not or can be substantiated/corroborated or not.  

Does anyone know about a situation where a foreigner being accused of raising their voice to a Filipino/Filipina that actually resulted in legal/police/immigration action against them?

That was testing his authority. Let's hope for him he continues to raise his voice otherwise there will be a shift in the dynamic of the relationship and eventually will lead to divorce as both are unhappy with this kind of situation.

I would die on this hill as I think it's important to lay down the law.

• Like 3

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

I have seen fathers and mothers shouting at a disobedient child from 50 or more feet.  The child simply ignores them.  A more effective method is to stand or seat next to them and give the reprimand with a voice that is one octave lower.  This is known as, "Within striking distance," although striking is never used.  Use the same technique on a wife and the incident cannot be reported to the barangay.  "Your husband lowered his voice and sat next to you?"  "What an affectionate person!"

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

MotorSarge
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, stevewool said:

Just a few times myself , then afterwards you regret it as the wife makes you a cup of tea and a slice of cake :smile:

Yeppers.....Always keep in mind that may be the last cup of tea and slice of cake :89:

• Haha 2

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

As others have posted the answer is no, you will not get in trouble for yelling at your spouse.  There is however a kernel of truth in your post.  A loud voice here, perhaps more so here than the rest of the world, represents anger or high emotion.  Thus a person with a raised voice, even if the natural tone, may be seen as angry even if not.  I have always had what many call a "soft" voice, low in volume and moderate in tone.  A number of Filipinos have told my wife that they like my voice and it tells them I am a good man.  Children also seem flock to me, which I love, and parents are fine with that.  What I am saying is that for many, perhaps most, Filipinos a LOUD voice = ANGER, soft voice = nice guy.   

• Like 2