My First Incounter With The Law

sjp52
Posted
Posted

I was driving my motorcycle in CDO downtown, As every one knows the traffic is really bad and when you come to an intersection it is the big dog goes first. ( very few traffic lights in CDO ). So i was at this main intersection waiting my turn when i finally saw a clear path and took it. I did,nt realize that there was a traffic light there and it was red. Got pulled over and the cop says where is your registration and license, had not received my registration yet as it was a new bike and left my license at home and I was not wearing a helmet as it was 95 degrees that day. So he says that is 4500 pesos in fines and we will confiscate your bike for 24 hours and you will have to go to an all day driving class. Then he says or we can take care of it right here. Much easier he says. I said how much will that cost me and he says, How much do you want to pay. I laughed and said how is 500 and he says oh yes that would be great. So he took me behind a tree and i paid him his black mail money and he said have a nice day. A week later i was having a little party for our family and some had brought some friends. One was an off duty cop. I was telling every one my story when the cop says how much did you pay him, I said 500 pesos. He got all excited and said oh way to much he says, 200 pesos would have been fine. I don,t necessary agree with paying bribe money but that day i was on my way to the hospital as my wifes mom had just been taken there and i was worried that he might be able to do all those things to me that he said he could, and we would not make it to the hospital that day, So I paid him. Has any one else had a similar experience.

• 3 weeks later...
tropicalwaste
Posted
Posted
I was driving my motorcycle in CDO downtown, As every one knows the traffic is really bad and when you come to an intersection it is the big dog goes first. ( very few traffic lights in CDO ). So i was at this main intersection waiting my turn when i finally saw a clear path and took it. I did,nt realize that there was a traffic light there and it was red. Got pulled over and the cop says where is your registration and license, had not received my registration yet as it was a new bike and left my license at home and I was not wearing a helmet as it was 95 degrees that day. So he says that is 4500 pesos in fines and we will confiscate your bike for 24 hours and you will have to go to an all day driving class. Then he says or we can take care of it right here. Much easier he says. I said how much will that cost me and he says, How much do you want to pay. I laughed and said how is 500 and he says oh yes that would be great. So he took me behind a tree and i paid him his black mail money and he said have a nice day. A week later i was having a little party for our family and some had brought some friends. One was an off duty cop. I was telling every one my story when the cop says how much did you pay him, I said 500 pesos. He got all excited and said oh way to much he says, 200 pesos would have been fine. I don,t necessary agree with paying bribe money but that day i was on my way to the hospital as my wifes mom had just been taken there and i was worried that he might be able to do all those things to me that he said he could, and we would not make it to the hospital that day, So I paid him. Has any one else had a similar experience.
Im anti corruption purely because it affects everyone in some way.. more often than not in the Philippines people "expect" bribes to do the job they are supposed to be doing in the first place. It would also be worth checking how much of what he said is true. As we have friends who got stopped before and they just followed him back to his house showed his paperwork and off on his way he went. You could have also gone for the sympathy vote with the hospital we talked ourselves out of a fine before for having a blown bulb in Cebu city. But it also helped when he is trying to direct traffic at the same time and your dragging the problem out a bit and becoming more of a headache than a chance of a payoff. Being a pain doesnt just pay off in the Philippines mind I do it a lot in the UK which is why I dont get pulled over in Worcester or when I was working in Norwich area. Because they only have to stop me a few times to realise I will just be a constant headache. Firstly I always go to a very public place before stopping. In the Philippines anywhere in the main road will do. But in the UK its generally Petrol stations with CCTV cameras as there is a record of the incident. I pretty much dont break the law they are just "random" stops. So I make the point of being a victim and that I will be filing a complaint and start recording their numbers, vehicle registration and time. Normally at this point they can see extra paperwork appearing at the end of theyre shift and will try and talk theyre way out of you making a complaint and tell you to be "on your way sir". Before people think im awkward generally all this came about because I was hassled as a teenager so I researched the law and my rights to throw it back at the Police for harrassment as back then I was being stopped upto 14 times in a month without 1 violation.

Singers
Posted
Posted (edited)
Im anti corruption purely because it affects everyone in some way.. more often than not in the Philippines people "expect" bribes to do the job they are supposed to be doing in the first place. It would also be worth checking how much of what he said is true. As we have friends who got stopped before and they just followed him back to his house showed his paperwork and off on his way he went. You could have also gone for the sympathy vote with the hospital we talked ourselves out of a fine before for having a blown bulb in Cebu city. But it also helped when he is trying to direct traffic at the same time and your dragging the problem out a bit and becoming more of a headache than a chance of a payoff. Being a pain doesnt just pay off in the Philippines mind I do it a lot in the UK which is why I dont get pulled over in Worcester or when I was working in Norwich area. Because they only have to stop me a few times to realise I will just be a constant headache. Firstly I always go to a very public place before stopping. In the Philippines anywhere in the main road will do. But in the UK its generally Petrol stations with CCTV cameras as there is a record of the incident. I pretty much dont break the law they are just "random" stops. So I make the point of being a victim and that I will be filing a complaint and start recording their numbers, vehicle registration and time. Normally at this point they can see extra paperwork appearing at the end of theyre shift and will try and talk theyre way out of you making a complaint and tell you to be "on your way sir". Before people think im awkward generally all this came about because I was hassled as a teenager so I researched the law and my rights to throw it back at the Police for harrassment as back then I was being stopped upto 14 times in a month without 1 violation.
I applied for 13A in London. The PI Embassy staff were great and it was all tied up in 1 hour.I then had to complete forms at Cebu Imm. Office. I was charged for a Lawyers authentication (?) and a Fee of PHP 4,200. when I asked for a receipt I was given one for about PHP 1700. I asked where the other 2,500 went and was told "we hurried this for you Etc and "we helped you so you help us" I got the "excess" fee back plus the Attys. 200.This guy was the Attorney. Loudly saying "I don't pay bribes to anyone for doing their job" a few times with a large audience had my cash refunded quickly. A few months later he was transferred to Manila. Probably Promoted.!Tom Edited by Singers

UZI
Posted
Posted (edited)
Some of you may have read this on another site but I think it worth repeating, to show a different side to dealing with the law here...:What an education I received about how a driver who crashed into me, the Security Guards who attended, the witnesses who gathered and the Police who registered it, all behaved towards me. I had stopped my Toyota Surf on one of the access roads in the Paseo (shopping area - I believe Americans call a strip mall) here in Sta Rosa. I didn't park in a bay as my asawa just wanted to get something quickly, so I waited at curb side. While waiting, I saw in my rear view mirror, a Pepsi delivery truck pulling up behind me. It stopped about 5-6ft away. So, I am sitting there when suddenly I see my asawa running towards me shouting. As I turned to see what she meant....bang, crash...and my rear window exploded. The truck, with no one inside had slipped off the handbreak & rolled, until it hit my SUV & the front facing side mirror was now embedded in my rear screen. With hindsight, I am glad I was there to stop a potentially dangerous runaway vehicle. The driver & his helpers were there in an instant, very embarrassed at what had happened. Two of the Security Guards were straight there, took control & the gathering crowd stood with interest. I could see this was a genuine accident & just smiled & re-assured all it could all be resolved. The guards took all the details, names, vehicle, driving license details etc and logged it in their incident book, all very professional. One of the onlookers said, I should also make a police report. So off we all trooped to our local PNP station. I was greeted by a very smart & again professional group of police officers who examined the damage, took the truck drivers license (which they retained) typed up a report & were genuinely unbiased in their actions. With my car being a Japan import, I had to do some detective work to track down a replacement rear screen as it is an electric window type, not a fixed door as is normal here. Again, I was passed from place to place as somewhere to try for stock, all friendly & helpful until I got it. P4,800 plus fitting for a surplus one. Last question was whether the truck owners insurance or he would pay. To be honest, as it was a true accident & I could have had the same thing happen, I didn't push this too hard but I was interested to see how the story ends.I met up with the driver at the Police station a week later to collect payment (cost covered 50/50 between truck owner & driver), complete paperwork for the cops & for him to get his license back. Case closed, to all satisfaction in less than a week. THAT wouldn't have happened in the UK.My POV, of how this played out. I have experienced this sort of thing in the UK, Kuwait and Malaysia, & I have to say this was the LEAST stressful experience of all. But I am sure some will say 'you were just lucky'. I seem to suffer from that a lot :thumbsup: :thumbs-up-smile: Edited by TAZ

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
Some of you may have read this on another site but I think it worth repeating, to show a different side to dealing with the law here...:What an education I received about how a driver who crashed into me, the Security Guards who attended, the witnesses who gathered and the Police who registered it, all behaved towards me. I had stopped my Toyota Surf on one of the access roads in the Paseo (shopping area - I believe Americans call a strip mall) here in Sta Rosa. I didn't park in a bay as my asawa just wanted to get something quickly, so I waited at curb side. While waiting, I saw in my rear view mirror, a Pepsi delivery truck pulling up behind me. It stopped about 5-6ft away. So, I am sitting there when suddenly I see my asawa running towards me shouting. As I turned to see what she meant....bang, crash...and my rear window exploded. The truck, with no one inside had slipped off the handbreak & rolled, until it hit my SUV & the front facing side mirror was now embedded in my rear screen. With hindsight, I am glad I was there to stop a potentially dangerous runaway vehicle. The driver & his helpers were there in an instant, very embarrassed at what had happened. Two of the Security Guards were straight there, took control & the gathering crowd stood with interest. I could see this was a genuine accident & just smiled & re-assured all it could all be resolved. The guards took all the details, names, vehicle, driving license details etc and logged it in their incident book, all very professional. One of the onlookers said, I should also make a police report. So off we all trooped to our local PNP station. I was greeted by a very smart & again professional group of police officers who examined the damage, took the truck drivers license (which they retained) typed up a report & were genuinely unbiased in their actions. With my car being a Japan import, I had to do some detective work to track down a replacement rear screen as it is an electric window type, not a fixed door as is normal here. Again, I was passed from place to place as somewhere to try for stock, all friendly & helpful until I got it. P4,800 plus fitting for a surplus one. Last question was whether the truck owners insurance or he would pay. To be honest, as it was a true accident & I could have had the same thing happen, I didn't push this too hard but I was interested to see how the story ends.I met up with the driver at the Police station a week later to collect payment (cost covered 50/50 between truck owner & driver), complete paperwork for the cops & for him to get his license back. Case closed, to all satisfaction in less than a week. THAT wouldn't have happened in the UK.My POV, of how this played out. I have experienced this sort of thing in the UK, Kuwait and Malaysia, & I have to say this was the LEAST stressful experience of all. But I am sure some will say 'you were just lucky'. I seem to suffer from that a lot :thumbsup: :thumbs-up-smile:
Probably not to many happy ending story's like that with people paying up.I remember talking with John who used to own the Silver Dollar one night,he was telling me that a month or so before he was heading home sober from the bar when a motor bike rider who was drunk with no lights riding on the wrong side of the road collided with his vehicle.The rider was pretty badly hurt and John said it took forever for an ambulance to come,eventually the police arrived as the rider was taken away.The police looked at the situation and could see it was the riders fault but then told John he had to go to the hospital to arrange payment for the rider,he told them he had to go home first to get his insulin as he is diabetic and the police agreed and said to go to the hospital after.I don't remember the costs for the rider but his family found out where John lived and presented them selves with tears asking him to pay all of the riders treatment,John agreed to pay so much and no more as long as the rider was put into a public hospital.Anyway then after all that John had to pay for all his own damage and was without his car for a long time.That's justice in the Philippines

tropicalwaste
Posted
Posted

I wouldnt pay out.. Police can say what they like its the whole point of having a digital camera with you putting all the evidence together before they arrive. I dont know the John your talking about but there was someone hit by a family member recently and a discussion came up that he should have just reversed over him as it would have led to no hospital follow up payments as now he is a ticking cash meter. A lot of the problems foreigners face is they have little knowledge or backup of the systems that are in place. Probably why its worth keeping a family member on as a part-time driver when you need them. Or even worth getting some guidelines from a lawyer for the forum. As you can get the photos uploaded and safe before someone can tamper or delete them by accident. Also the fact he was a drunk driver I would have pushed the fact as no doubt there was also some paperwork missing.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
I wouldnt pay out.. Police can say what they like its the whole point of having a digital camera with you putting all the evidence together before they arrive. I dont know the John your talking about but there was someone hit by a family member recently and a discussion came up that he should have just reversed over him as it would have led to no hospital follow up payments as now he is a ticking cash meter. A lot of the problems foreigners face is they have little knowledge or backup of the systems that are in place. Probably why its worth keeping a family member on as a part-time driver when you need them. Or even worth getting some guidelines from a lawyer for the forum. As you can get the photos uploaded and safe before someone can tamper or delete them by accident. Also the fact he was a drunk driver I would have pushed the fact as no doubt there was also some paperwork missing.
The incident I was referring to was maybe 2.5 years ago,John is an Australian who ran the Silver Dollar for something like 20 years.

UZI
Posted
Posted
Is this a Cebu thing? The reason I ask is, a few weeks after the incident above, I was in the same area. I had just pulled out of a parking spot & was heading out when a street kid ran from between parked cars at full run. I braked & he literally ran into the front of my car & bounced off. I got out as the boy got up & sat on the curb. I asked if he was ok but he just looked shocked & rubbed his head. I knew he was ok because the impact was no worse than if he had run into a wall. I looked around for someone who could speak to him & one guy said he was a doctor & came forward as the security guards arrived. They took my details & the Dr checked the boy. His only concern was maybe concussion. I gave the boy P50 to get some sweets or ice cream & off he went. Now I have read stories like Toms & Matt's and feared the worst, I would get stitched up by the boys relatives for all sorts of financial needs but no. Even though my name, phone & address details were taken, I never heard anymore about it.Like I said...just lucky I guess........or is it something more? Attitude or body language or just that in my old 1992 Surf I don't look rich (being a Brit I am not)....?? BTW, I have been driving here for almost 4 years & these 2 incidents are the ONLY ones I have had.:thumbs-up-smile:

UZI
Posted
Posted
Is this a Cebu thing? The reason I ask is, a few weeks after the incident above, I was in the same area. I had just pulled out of a parking spot & was heading out when a street kid ran from between parked cars at full run. I braked & he literally ran into the front of my car & bounced off. I got out as the boy got up & sat on the curb. I asked if he was ok but he just looked shocked & rubbed his head. I knew he was ok because the impact was no worse than if he had run into a wall. I looked around for someone who could speak to him & one guy said he was a doctor & came forward as the security guards arrived. They took my details & the Dr checked the boy. His only concern was maybe concussion. I gave the boy P50 to get some sweets or ice cream & off he went. Now I have read stories like Toms & Matt's and feared the worst, I would get stitched up by the boys relatives for all sorts of financial needs but no. Even though my name, phone & address details were taken, I never heard anymore about it.Like I said...just lucky I guess........or is it something more? Attitude or body language or just that in my old 1992 Surf I don't look rich (being a Brit I am not)....?? BTW, I have been driving here for almost 4 years & these 2 incidents are the ONLY ones I have had.:thumbsup:
Is this a Cebu thing? Nobody want to offer any comments? POV? Opinion?...or is the silence a nod of grudging agreement? UZI

• 2 months later...
tom_shor
Posted
Posted
Probably because you looked like a troublemaker. SugarwareZ-005.gif My niece used to get stopped a lot when she had an old junky car. Since she got a new one no more stops.