Wedding In Malapascua - Help Needed!

margavon
Posted
Posted

Dear all,I'm new to this forum, and I might as well be honest, I'm on here hoping for some help. My fiance and I went to Malapascua for Xmas and the New Year, and we loved it there. We'd really like to get married there.I've been researching the formalities for foreigners getting married in the Philippines, and getting a licence can clearly take ages. We both work here in the UK, so our time off is precious. I wasn't sure that a Philippines wedding would be practical. Then I stumbled across the Family Code, which says in Article 34 that couples can get married without a licence if they have lived together for five years as man and wife. My partner and I have been living together for ten years, so this requirement should be easy to satisfy, as long as it applies to cohabitation outside of the Philippines.

I also understand that it is possible to contract a marriage at any location, as long as we have an appropriate celebrant (any member of the judiciary can perform this role within the court's jurisdiction - Article 7 of the Family Code) and as long as we have formally requested the location in a written and sworn statement (Article 8 of the Family Code). Which would be great. We have a beach at Malapascua lined up, the resort is keen to help, we just need to get the formalities sorted out.

So I'm going to need some reassurance that my interpretation above is right, and I need to get a judge to act as celebrant, and sort out providing that person with the appropriate sworn statements. That sounds to me like I need a reputable lawyer - or possibly a way of contacting a judge directly. How do I do that? Do members of this forum have a lawyer in Cebu that they trust and would recommend?

Can you help?

Margavon

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
Dear all,I'm new to this forum, and I might as well be honest, I'm on here hoping for some help. My fiance and I went to Malapascua for Xmas and the New Year, and we loved it there. We'd really like to get married there.I've been researching the formalities for foreigners getting married in the Philippines, and getting a licence can clearly take ages. We both work here in the UK, so our time off is precious. I wasn't sure that a Philippines wedding would be practical. Then I stumbled across the Family Code, which says in Article 34 that couples can get married without a licence if they have lived together for five years as man and wife. My partner and I have been living together for ten years, so this requirement should be easy to satisfy, as long as it applies to cohabitation outside of the Philippines.

I also understand that it is possible to contract a marriage at any location, as long as we have an appropriate celebrant (any member of the judiciary can perform this role within the court's jurisdiction - Article 7 of the Family Code) and as long as we have formally requested the location in a written and sworn statement (Article 8 of the Family Code). Which would be great. We have a beach at Malapascua lined up, the resort is keen to help, we just need to get the formalities sorted out.

So I'm going to need some reassurance that my interpretation above is right, and I need to get a judge to act as celebrant, and sort out providing that person with the appropriate sworn statements. That sounds to me like I need a reputable lawyer - or possibly a way of contacting a judge directly. How do I do that? Do members of this forum have a lawyer in Cebu that they trust and would recommend?

Can you help?

Margavon

It would take a lawyer to answer your question correctly and the only thing I can say is my opinion and that is that the family code was written for Filipinos, so if you both are Filipino then you should be able to do it if you can prove the requirements of the law, but then comes the next part, I also believe that the family code was written for Filipinos who live within the Philippines but that is just my opinion and maybe it would be best to check with a reputable lawyer and here is one that comes highly recommended by a friend of mine. Maybe worth a call or a visit. Ronald Baquiano Law Office

johnb
Posted
Posted

Can you help?

Margavon

Hi There is a Banner at the bottom of this page advertising an expat run business for weddings and visa services, the owners name is Paul, he might be able to help with your questions, he is very approachable, I'd contact himJohn

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

Can you help?

Margavon

I don't believe there is much of a wait to getting married,from memory you just file your papers and then there is a compulsory wait period of 14 days,after that you are free to marry.Getting a judge to do the ceremony should be no trouble either.My wedding was in the judges chambers in Cebu.

brock
Posted
Posted

That sounds to me like I need a reputable lawyer - or possibly a way of contacting a judge directly. How do I do that? Do members of this forum have a lawyer in Cebu that they trust and would recommend?

Can you help?

Margavon

Do not waste your money getting a lawyer, You do not need one, Just get a judge, give a couple of weeks notice and your ready to go, just make sure you have all the relevant paperwork

margavon
Posted
Posted

Thanks for all your replies. As my huband to be and I get so little time off work, I think I will look into having someone help me deal with the formalities. I appreciate that I do probably just need to "get a judge"! but sat here in front of my pc, in rainy England, that does seem rather easier said than done for me!Any further advice is very welcome though.Thanks againMargavon

brock
Posted
Posted
Thanks for all your replies. As my huband to be and I get so little time off work, I think I will look into having someone help me deal with the formalities. I appreciate that I do probably just need to "get a judge"! but sat here in front of my pc, in rainy England, that does seem rather easier said than done for me!Any further advice is very welcome though.Thanks againMargavon
Dear Margavon, Please believe when I say you do not need help from anyone to get married, If you do get help, you will end up getting robbed, You can get married for about 20 pounds, But involve someone else and it will finish up costing you a lot lot more........The first time I married my wife, she was told we needed a lawyer, ( RUBBISH ), I payed 10,000p for the lawyer to sort everything out for us, I was told what was needed to become married.We stood in front of the judge, He married us, we signed the book, pronounced us man and wife...had wedding photos taken with judge and guests, was then taken into the back room to sign another book, Was then asked for the certificate of no impediment, of which I knew nothing about, because the lawyer didnt tell me I needed one.... I had never heard of this certificate before... Finished up, NOT married, But not to worry, The lawyer says for another 15,000, She will sort it all out....I asked why the extra 5000, She says she has to make all the paperwork from the first marraige dissapear, otherwise we cant get married because it is in the system now that we are married, ( even though were not ) ...figure that out....Needless to say, I told her to get stuffed.....We had the wedding reception has planned, with nobody knowing we were not actually married....I then returned to England a SINGLE man.On my next visit to Cebu, I did everything myself.......Got married again with no trouble, BUTTTTTT, A few months later, The judge along with about 5 other judges got disbarred, for pulling some kind of wedding scam, it appears myself and about 5000 other people...Were NOT married, Some of these people do not even realize they are not married..... Anyway that was the 2nd attempt.....BUTTTTTT...3rd 4th 5th Still NOT married.....I have only ever had 1 wife...BUT been married more times than MICKY ROONEY........Next part of my story is how my wife, Or should I say...NOT my wife had 2 babies in 3 days...I have 3 kids...BUT really only 2....figure that out, if anybody can!......This is all true.....only in the Philippines.My advice is get a judge, who is recomended by a friend...DIY. it will save you.Regards Brock.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
Dear Margavon, Please believe when I say you do not need help from anyone to get married, If you do get help, you will end up getting robbed, You can get married for about 20 pounds, But involve someone else and it will finish up costing you a lot lot more........The first time I married my wife, she was told we needed a lawyer, ( RUBBISH ), I payed 10,000p for the lawyer to sort everything out for us, I was told what was needed to become married.We stood in front of the judge, He married us, we signed the book, pronounced us man and wife...had wedding photos taken with judge and guests, was then taken into the back room to sign another book, Was then asked for the certificate of no impediment, of which I knew nothing about, because the lawyer didnt tell me I needed one.... I had never heard of this certificate before... Finished up, NOT married, But not to worry, The lawyer says for another 15,000, She will sort it all out....I asked why the extra 5000, She says she has to make all the paperwork from the first marraige dissapear, otherwise we cant get married because it is in the system now that we are married, ( even though were not ) ...figure that out....Needless to say, I told her to get stuffed.....We had the wedding reception has planned, with nobody knowing we were not actually married....I then returned to England a SINGLE man.On my next visit to Cebu, I did everything myself.......Got married again with no trouble, BUTTTTTT, A few months later, The judge along with about 5 other judges got disbarred, for pulling some kind of wedding scam, it appears myself and about 5000 other people...Were NOT married, Some of these people do not even realize they are not married..... Anyway that was the 2nd attempt.....BUTTTTTT...3rd 4th 5th Still NOT married.....I have only ever had 1 wife...BUT been married more times than MICKY ROONEY........Next part of my story is how my wife, Or should I say...NOT my wife had 2 babies in 3 days...I have 3 kids...BUT really only 2....figure that out, if anybody can!......This is all true.....only in the Philippines.My advice is get a judge, who is recomended by a friend...DIY. it will save you.Regards Brock.
Hey BrockThats some interesting story.I think the problem for Margavon is that they are both not in the Philippines and wish to arrange everything before they arrive to be married,they can correct me if I am wrong.So our advice although probably sound is not practical for them,perhaps the easiest thing to do is return to the Philippines a few weeks before the planned marriage date and do the leg work that needs to be done. This may not be good with their work commitments etc but even if one of them can come to sort it out would make life more pleasant.

tropicalwaste
Posted
Posted

Getting a wedding organised isnt a big issue as long as you plan ahead. Firstly you need to book an appointment with the judge who deals with the area your getting married in as a mistake some people make is that they think the judges can move around. They are not allowed to any more due to a previous scandal and also they get busy. The rest is the paperwork side of things which is the important thing on making sure its complete before you even come to the Philippines. There are lists of what you need on the net so just google them. If you really need advice from a Judge I can organise this but dont think its really needed. Personally I would just contact the Philippines Embassy in your country and ask advice directly as it will be a smoother process and no doubt you will be able to organise some of the information ahead.

stef
Posted
Posted

Can you help?

Margavon

i take it that you are both british so i check on the philippine embassy in london site for you pasted below is from there faqQ. We are both foreign nationals and we intend to get married in the Philippines. What requirements do we need?
  • Foreign nationals intending to get married in the Philippines should contact their respective embassies in the Philippines for other requirements.
  • The British Embassy in Manila (www.britishembassy.gov.uk/philippines) has a list of requirements for British nationals intending to get married in the Philippines
  • hope this helps