Information

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

HiI know the subject of budgets has been beaten to death on forums and yahoo groups but if anyone has some time to compile their living costs in the Philippines, I would like to use it to add to the Welcome to the Philippines web site.Since I have just about got the forum running correctly I should have some time to add information to the web site now.Anyone? :13_4_10[1]: :thumbsup: Tom

retired
Posted
Posted
HiI know the subject of budgets has been beaten to death on forums and yahoo groups but if anyone has some time to compile their living costs in the Philippines, I would like to use it to add to the Welcome to the Philippines web site.Since I have just about got the forum running correctly I should have some time to add information to the web site now.Anyone? :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Tom
Here is a quick look at basic costs for us here in Cagayan De Oro , northern Mindanao:7,000 Rent This is for a large two-story with 4 bedrooms and two baths with both having tubs . Water supply is another issue . :huh: 2,100 Power We do not use air-con and have medium size fridge , micro-wave , tv (2) , computer , mixer , etc . Rate has increased though 3 times i think in last year .600 Water We share water with people on back end of lot so our cost maybe 4001.250 Cable Package International package for tv and computer connection though not the fastest available675 Gas For cooking lasts 4 - 6 weeks here10,000 - 12,000 Food We rarely eat out but being an american probably do have some higher food costs as i like quality breads , lunch meats , etc These are basic household expenses and do not of course include Transportation , etc . We use public transport and can get to heart of city for 13 p or taxi for 60 - 70 .SM budget is another matter but i buy most of mine at the local Sari for 55 per Grande . Some in-town expat watering holes as low as 22-25 for small though most in 30 - 35 range with clubs going as high as 50 . I will not make extensive comment on costs for " misc. entertainment " here in CDO except to say that it is cheaper than larger cities . SugarwareZ-007.gif Club prices i am told run 2,000-3,000 . Street costs run 300 - 500 part-time and 500 - 1,000 full-time .Mods feel free to re-arrange the entertainment costs to another thread if you feel appropriate . Probably better suited for password thread but as yet i don't have password so can't post there . :13_4_10[1]:

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted (edited)

You have the password now Alan. 2245_safe.gif I will gladly give it to anyone I know :thumbsup: and anyone else should please ask Boss Man for it. :thumbsup: Thank you for your budget.Our basic budgetdrinking water in large bottles for two plus guests p50 delivered each and we use a max of two a week so p100 a weekElectric, we have a small 2/2 condo a little over 80 sq meters under air, and we were using the A/C 24/7 so it ran around p7500 a monthWater for utilities approx p600Cable P7290 for one yearTelephone and dsl p1650 a monthTaxes on our condo under p10,000 a yearMaintenance per month p2160 for a little over 80 square metersfood for us would be pretty high because we usually eat out a lot, so I will not list it.No night life except when my wife goes to visit family, or when friends come to visit and I show them around but that is just the cost of a few beers since I do not partake of the rest. Beer has been a killer for us since we were going through a case or more every few days with neighbors and friends always stopping by, but that was money well spent IMO. :13_4_10[1]: :cheers:

Edited by Mr. Lee

Mike S
Posted
Posted (edited)

Tom if you want to use mine they are only about a couple of months old ........ and already here on your board .... feel free

Edited by Mike S

johnrxx99
Posted
Posted (edited)

This is taken from my spreadsheet, which I adjust every month or so.Philippines Living Expenses Item Unit Amount UK

Edited by johnrxx99

• 3 weeks later...
tom_shor
Posted
Posted (edited)

I don't live there full time and budgets do vary greatly with lifestyle but here is what I have. We have a 2 bedroom apartment in Labangon. We have an A/C in the bedroom we run mostly at night a ref, a TV, a computer, and a couple of electric fans.Rent P6000 monthUtilities P1500 monthSmart bro P1000 monthWater P800 monthFood varies because we eat out more than we will when I am living there but usually between P1500-2000 a week.Transportation also varies because we take more taxis now than I will when I live there and it also depends on where we go. But when I was there this time we spent about P1000 per week. There are some things I am sure I left out but that is a pretty good estimate of what we were spending.

Edited by tom_shor

• 7 months later...
Malibogmike
Posted
Posted

Wow cool im looking at moving to Subic area in i hope 2 yrs thanks god we military ret. guys can live on our retirement pay and live a good life

tom_shor
Posted
Posted
Wow cool im looking at moving to Subic area in i hope 2 yrs thanks god we military ret. guys can live on our retirement pay and live a good life
You should be able to live comfortably on a Military pension. That does depend on exactly how you want to live. If you are a retiree then Tri Care is also available to you.

• 2 weeks later...
Malibogmike
Posted
Posted

Yeah tom i been doing some looking around and asking question with all the expat's i met there all were cool and anwser all my questions only time will tell if i can meet my goal.

tom_shor
Posted
Posted
Yeah tom i been doing some looking around and asking question with all the expat's i met there all were cool and anwser all my questions only time will tell if i can meet my goal.
There is also a RAO in the Subic area that will allow you to use an FPO address to receive letters and small items through the FPO system instead of Philpost. There is a charge for this but it is not much. If you are a retiree you should check into it.