Help Nerds

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

Hey you computer nerds,give me some help.The other day I bought a little fella (Netbook) and I can not get it to connect to my wireless router,the network name is in the list of available wireless connections and I put in the correct password for it but keeps coming up with can not connect? At the moment I have it plugged into the router by Earth Net cable and its online without a problem.I have tied everything that I could think of and my desk top s connected to the wireless fine.Anyone?3_8_14[1].gif

TheMason
Posted
Posted (edited)
Hey you computer nerds,give me some help.The other day I bought a little fella (Netbook) and I can not get it to connect to my wireless router,the network name is in the list of available wireless connections and I put in the correct password for it but keeps coming up with can not connect? At the moment I have it plugged into the router by Earth Net cable and its online without a problem.I have tied everything that I could think of and my desk top s connected to the wireless fine.Anyone?3_8_14[1].gif
Check the specs of your wireless card in the netbook and make sure it supports the wireless protocol your router is using. Go into your network settings and change your type of network to Private so devices are discoverable. I forget exactly how to do that on XP but it should be somewhere in the Network control panel.If all else fails, reset your router to factory settings and set up a new network on the netbook...then have your desktop connect to the new network.P.S. I'm not a nerd, but figured I'd answer anyway :thumbs-up-smile: Edited by TheMason

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
Check the specs of your wireless card in the netbook and make sure it supports the wireless protocol your router is using. Go into your network settings and change your type of network to Private so devices are discoverable. I forget exactly how to do that on XP but it should be somewhere in the Network control panel.If all else fails, reset your router to factory settings and set up a new network on the netbook...then have your desktop connect to the new network.P.S. I'm not a nerd, but figured I'd answer anyway :thumbs-up-smile:
Thanks for your helpBoth the router and net book are new so all should be compatible,it shows my connection as in top of screen shot, by setting up a private net work might be OK here but the thing is will I be able to hook up to a wifi spot in Cebu.post-1-1265424374558_thumb.png

FlyAway
Posted
Posted

Ran into a similar problem with my Linksys wireless router. I have several Acer Netbooks i have been tinkering with. Your router might be set to a low number of available DHCP address's. If all are currently leased out then you will not get a connection. My router had different address pools for wireless and hard connections.Access the router from a connected PC and look at the available address pool.

tropicalwaste
Posted
Posted

Also worth Pinging your router to see if you have "any" connection. Before going deeper into why its not connecting properly.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
Ran into a similar problem with my Linksys wireless router. I have several Acer Netbooks i have been tinkering with. Your router might be set to a low number of available DHCP address's. If all are currently leased out then you will not get a connection. My router had different address pools for wireless and hard connections.Access the router from a connected PC and look at the available address pool.
I am a little confused by this but the only computers connected to the router are the desk top and hopefully the net book,when I had my last notebook I basically just turned it on and connected,this is a different new router and new netbook but as far as I can see its set up the same,just a basic set up where I should just be able to put in the network password and connect like it did with the desk top.1%20%28172%29.gif

FlyAway
Posted
Posted

With the desktop, run the cmd.exe program. If Windows XP the Start - Run - cmd.exe it will open up what looks like the old DOS days prompt.Type in ipconfigyou will see one that should say wireless LAN adapterThe Default Gateway will be your router's IP address for your home networkOn the NetBook try the same thing. The default gateway should the same as the desktop.The last few digits of the IP address of your desk top and netbook should be very close sequentially.What operating system are you using? XP?

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
With the desktop, run the cmd.exe program. If Windows XP the Start - Run - cmd.exe it will open up what looks like the old DOS days prompt.Type in ipconfigyou will see one that should say wireless LAN adapterThe Default Gateway will be your router's IP address for your home networkOn the NetBook try the same thing. The default gateway should the same as the desktop.The last few digits of the IP address of your desk top and netbook should be very close sequentially.What operating system are you using? XP?
Hi EricBoth on XP,tried the config thing but it just flashes on the screen and gone.I am not trying to set up a net work,all I want to do is connect to the wireless router as you would for example if it was not a secure connection,just like a hot spot.Yes my router is secure and with WPA2 and the little box comes up to put the password in but still wont connect.My main concern is whether it will connect to Wifi hot spots when I get to Cebu,if I cant even connect to my own router then maybe there are problems.

FlyAway
Posted
Posted

You have to run the ipconfig in the cmd.exe window. For XP Start - Run - cmd.exe that is where you type in the ipconfig Looks like the old DOS days of the first PC'sTry to see if it will connect to an unsecured connection on the list. If it does not then there may be a problem with the internal wireless adapter. Ran into that problem with a Gateway Laptop. I disabled the internal and then installed a USB wireless adapter as a test and it connected fine through it. A few other things it could be. Might also want to see if a friend can connect to your wireless network to.What type of Netbook is it?

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
You have to run the ipconfig in the cmd.exe window. For XP Start - Run - cmd.exe that is where you type in the ipconfig Looks like the old DOS days of the first PC'sTry to see if it will connect to an unsecured connection on the list. If it does not then there may be a problem with the internal wireless adapter. Ran into that problem with a Gateway Laptop. I disabled the internal and then installed a USB wireless adapter as a test and it connected fine through it. A few other things it could be. Might also want to see if a friend can connect to your wireless network to.What type of Netbook is it?
HowdyI read on AUSU forum that the wireless will not work with WAP2 so I changed it to just WAP,well then I could not get either computer to connect :Mad:123But then,and I really don't know if I did anything,up they both come and are both connected to the wireless router :DSo for now at least all is good,thanks for your time :thumbs-up-smile: