If You Could Have Brought A Few Things With What Would They Be?

Matt
Posted
Posted

I wanted to start this topic to help others who are moving out here on a long term basis by asking other members what would they have brought with them from their home countries once they got here, so the people who are moving out might think yes that is a good idea and bring it with them. Things that you have found hard to find here in the Philippines, but are readily available in your own countries. For example i wish i had put in some very good quality Tefal frying pans in my balikbayan box, other things include gravy granules, OXO Cubes, Marmite, ( If your from the UK, you will know these things ) these things i started to miss, and especially some decent frying pans which i just left back in the UK, but now wish i brought them with me. It can be anything that you thought of once you got out here, no matter how big or small the item is. If you think your fellow ex-pats might want to bring something with them, then add your comments below.

TheMason
Posted
Posted
I wanted to start this topic to help others who are moving out here on a long term basis by asking other members what would they have brought with them from their home countries once they got here, so the people who are moving out might think yes that is a good idea and bring it with them. Things that you have found hard to find here in the Philippines, but are readily available in your own countries. For example i wish i had put in some very good quality Tefal frying pans in my balikbayan box, other things include gravy granules, OXO Cubes, Marmite, ( If your from the UK, you will know these things ) these things i started to miss, and especially some decent frying pans which i just left back in the UK, but now wish i brought them with me. It can be anything that you thought of once you got out here, no matter how big or small the item is. If you think your fellow ex-pats might want to bring something with them, then add your comments below.
Cookware and utensils are on my list of things I wish I had brought as well. I also wish I had brought my bedsheets and bath towels with me. I haven't been able to find high-quality sheets here. I wish I had brought more books with me. Filipinos don't read much and the bookstores here have a modest selection to choose from. When I go to the US or have a box shipped over I always get a lot of reading material.There are numerous over-the-counter drug store/toiletry items that are difficult or impossible to find here. I laid in a big supply of these items at the first opportunity.Medicated Blistex lip balm.NeoSporin first aid ointment.Tylenol.Right Guard gel anti-perspirant/deodorant. (you can get it here, but its hideously expensive)Pi cologne.For food items...Pace Picante SauceMrs. Butterworth's pancake syrupLawry's Seasoned Salt
  • Like 1

Singers
Posted
Posted
Cookware and utensils are on my list of things I wish I had brought as well. I also wish I had brought my bedsheets and bath towels with me. I haven't been able to find high-quality sheets here. I wish I had brought more books with me. Filipinos don't read much and the bookstores here have a modest selection to choose from. When I go to the US or have a box shipped over I always get a lot of reading material.There are numerous over-the-counter drug store/toiletry items that are difficult or impossible to find here. I laid in a big supply of these items at the first opportunity.Medicated Blistex lip balm.NeoSporin first aid ointment.Tylenol.Right Guard gel anti-perspirant/deodorant. (you can get it here, but its hideously expensive)Pi cologne.For food items...Pace Picante SauceMrs. Butterworth's pancake syrupLawry's Seasoned Salt
My Wife, My Horse's and my Dog -- in that order. O'h My Dog is having a chew on my leg.UK TOM

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

Actually this is an age old question and IMO we should bring everything that would fit into balikbayan boxes and that will work here. What I mean is that I come from the US where everything is 110 volt so if we would have had a house built then I would have has some 110 outlets put in to accommodate them but since we live in a condo and with no 110 outlets even though the brochure said there would be, :thumbs-up-smile: I find it easier to just buy 220 volt items here because using an adapter is not practical IMO because I have made the mistake of plugging items in and burning them out.So since we go back and forth then we have the chance to keep bringing things every year and every year we end up with 4 suitcases full, and little of that is our clothing since we leave all that in our condo here. Guys and gals, pack it all, shoes, shirts, pants, underwear, sheets, pots, pans, dishes, you name it and I wish I would have packed it all right from the start because many things are hard to find here and good quality items are even harder to find.So what do I miss the most, our close friends, but getting them to travel half way around the world is not going to happen with most, so we try to bring everything else that is practical to make our life here the same as back in the states.

• Like 1

Singers
Posted
Posted (edited)
Actually this is an age old question and IMO we should bring everything that would fit into balikbayan boxes and that will work here. What I mean is that I come from the US where everything is 110 volt so if we would have had a house built then I would have has some 110 outlets put in to accommodate them but since we live in a condo and with no 110 outlets even though the brochure said there would be, :thumbs-up-smile: I find it easier to just buy 220 volt items here because using an adapter is not practical IMO because I have made the mistake of plugging items in and burning them out.So since we go back and forth then we have the chance to keep bringing things every year and every year we end up with 4 suitcases full, and little of that is our clothing since we leave all that in our condo here. Guys and gals, pack it all, shoes, shirts, pants, underwear, sheets, pots, pans, dishes, you name it and I wish I would have packed it all right from the start because many things are hard to find here and good quality items are even harder to find.So what do I miss the most, our close friends, but getting them to travel half way around the world is not going to happen with most, so we try to bring everything else that is practical to make our life here the same as back in the states.
Old friends cannot be replaced. The history and shared experiences cannot be replicated. WE make a decision to leave the "old" behind and the NEW!?. Embrace it and remember "We left" ??? That "OLD" life behind us.UK Tomps. Miss my Horses ! Edited by Singers

• 2 weeks later...
country member
Posted
Posted

A Breadmaker

scianna54
Posted
Posted

tools, I hate those crappy overpriced tools and the selection sucks too here

Singers
Posted
Posted (edited)
A Breadmaker
A Canadian friend in Tacloban said the flour in PI is different -- SWEET?. He did not like it in his Breadmaker.BUT I like the PI bread so Home Made bread should be a huge improvement.!UK Tom Edited by Singers

bkm
Posted
Posted

Lots and lot of daily vitamin pills (way too expensive here!)Slippers (houseshoes) in my bigfoot size (had to pick some up in Thailand cuz could not find here)More running (athletic) clothes (can't find my size shorts here)AAFES brand floss (can't find floss that doesn't tear so darn easily)Otherwise I'm pretty happy

• Like 1

Mik
Posted
Posted (edited)

I should have brought a slow cooker with a temperature control showing degrees (not low-medium-high) just like the one I gave away before moving here. It's not so hard to wire a 120 volt circuit. I also should have brought my push broom. I had a really good one. I could have removed the handle and made a new handle for it here..

Edited by Morey