A Typical Hospital Bills

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

This revived thread makes me want to know how to negotiate to get the best prices. I agree with Jim Sibbick about being self insured. It is my opinion that any insurer is trying to make a profit from me and it is there job to be sure I pay them more, in my lifetime, than they pay for my medical expenses. Now they can do that by charging me a lot OR by getting cut rates at the hospital. How do WE negotiate for the best rates so we are not taken to the cleaners when we are in desparate need of medical care. (I have heard so many horror stories about foreigners who go to the hospital and they ask "how much is your income" and then the bill is miraculously close to whatever they can afford . . which tends to be a very high price)

Art2ro
Posted
Posted

That’s a tough question Dave! I too have heard that medical costs in Philippine hospitals can be negotiated prior to being admitted for any procedures or treatments! Just have to ask that’s all, as long one isn‘t incapacitated and still has their faculties after waking up! It’s always a matter of money and I hope most people living in the Philippines have adequate savings or high limit credit cards to by time for their medical cost reimbursement payments to cover the majority of the cost, if not, you may end up with a hefty medical bill! I knew a friend of mine who doesn’t have a lot of money on hand, but had high limit credit cards and came down with a serious illness and became incapacitated for a few days in ICU, but slowly recovered after a few weeks! His total medical bills came to over $30,000! Luckily, after charging the total amount of his medical bills, his U.S. Medical Health Plan came through for him and reimbursed him 80% of what he paid from his credit card! Also one other person I read about on another forum, who also didn’t have a lot of money, who had cancer! He just decided to forego any type of cancer treatments as to not burden his family financially and died a few month later! He had some form of medical insurance, but he couldn’t rely on them of reimbursing him on a timely manner making him go into debt little by little and at times his claims were denied for some technical reasons or due to some insufficient documentations on his claim forms! He did not financially burden his family, may he RIP and keep his family safe! I can go on and on about other fortunate or sad situations, but I think you see what I’m getting at! We all have different circumstances, financial situations and we all just have to do what we have to do when the time comes when or if ever anyone of us comes down with an illness or get injured unexpectedly!

daisy
Posted
Posted

PHILHEALTH is accepting foreigner membership and I've done this many times by just bringing their PH application form and Birth Certificate and a 1 quarter payment of 300 pesos. If you don't have a birth certificate, 2 Identification Cards will suffice. . I just recently brought to their office an application from of a 75 years old CDO Expat and in less than an hour he got his membership approved and has his own PHILHEALTH Membership I.D Card. However this will not take effect right aay but you have to wait for 6 months before it can be used. I am not charging anything!!!!! More or less, 30 percent of the hospital bills is deducted. it is really so hard to believe about the issue on over charging a foreigner. However any medicines taken from the Hospital Pharmacy which is charged to the patient's hospital room is 10 to 30 percent higher if you buy it cash directly or outside the hospital pharmacy. Last January, my Dad was admitted and was in the iCU for 4 days and 2 days in a private room, all medicines were taken from the hospital charged to his room, prices were 25 percent higher!!!! We didn't complain because it's our fault,, we just let the nurses got all the meds in their drugstore. Total bill was like 112,000.00 pesos and less Philihealth and Senior Citizen's discount, he paid 72,000 pesos.

Art2ro
Posted
Posted
PHILHEALTH is accepting foreigner membership and I've done this many times by just bringing their PH application form and Birth Certificate and a 1 quarter payment of 300 pesos. If you don't have a birth certificate, 2 Identification Cards will suffice. . I just recently brought to their office an application from of a 75 years old CDO Expat and in less than an hour he got his membership approved and has his own PHILHEALTH Membership I.D Card. However this will not take effect right aay but you have to wait for 6 months before it can be used. I am not charging anything!!!!! More or less, 30 percent of the hospital bills is deducted. it is really so hard to believe about the issue on over charging a foreigner. However any medicines taken from the Hospital Pharmacy which is charged to the patient's hospital room is 10 to 30 percent higher if you buy it cash directly or outside the hospital pharmacy. Last January, my Dad was admitted and was in the iCU for 4 days and 2 days in a private room, all medicines were taken from the hospital charged to his room, prices were 25 percent higher!!!! We didn't complain because it's our fault,, we just let the nurses got all the meds in their drugstore. Total bill was like 112,000.00 pesos and less Philihealth and Senior Citizen's discount, he paid 72,000 pesos.
Yes, that's great! PhilHealth's 30% or more discount is better than nothing at all and also with the 20% Senior Discount helps too! I plan to go that route as a backup health plan whenever I get my dual citizenship this year and whatever is left from my local medical bills, I can file it against my TRICARE military health plan for a 70% reimburstment on the remainder of the balance from PhillHealth as long the hospital and doctors are TRICARE approved and if not, I still saved by having PhilHealth as a backup medical health plan and the premiums are reasonable.

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

But will PhilHealth monitor what the hospital is charging to be sure that it conforms to what is expected for the given ailment? If not then the hospital will probably just jack up the price to get extra, knowing that PhilHealth is paying that extra. It seems to be the way things are done here.

daisy
Posted
Posted
But will PhilHealth monitor what the hospital is charging to be sure that it conforms to what is expected for the given ailment? If not then the hospital will probably just jack up the price to get extra, knowing that PhilHealth is paying that extra. It seems to be the way things are done here.
I think it is monitored..Here's why I think so: When my son had an operation in Manila I received a refund check for medicines, something like 900 pesos delivered to me via Post Office. The Hospital will submit a copy of what they charge to Philhealth. Usually room rates and other charges are standardised according to hospital classification.

daisy
Posted
Posted
Yes, that's great! PhilHealth's 30% or more discount is better than nothing at all and also with the 20% Senior Discount helps too! I plan to go that route as a backup health plan whenever I get my dual citizenship this year and whatever is left from my local medical bills, I can file it against my TRICARE military health plan for a 70% reimburstment on the remainder of the balance from PhillHealth as long the hospital and doctors are TRICARE approved and if not, I still saved by having PhilHealth as a backup medical health plan and the premiums are reasonable.
Yes it will help. One Expat here who was admitted and his PH can't still be used because it is less than 3 months old, he used his SC Card even if it was just issued to him in less than a week, his hospital bills lowered down from 28,000 pesos to 22,800. I konw it for a fact because his wife thanked me for the Card.