No Salt, No Sugar

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

Howdy folksWhy is it that all the pizzas in the Philippines taste like salt? Anyone know of a good pizza store?And bread, all the bread I have tried seems to be made up of 80% sugar and the rest in flour.I know that we all have different tastes but these two things I need to be a bit western style for me. SugarwareZ-047.gif Tom

Mike S
Posted
Posted

Hey Tom .... I had the same problem when I first moved here .... but after tasting dozens of different brands of bread we found that the Magic Melt Wheat is by far the best we have found .... and it is available in all but SM grocery stores ..... Also just as a quick note the Springfield product brand has in IMHO the best tasting mayonnaise and canned goods that I can find here ...... not sure about Oz ..... but they have the best US taste ..... but what can you expect they are made in Calif. ...... see Billie some GOOD things do come out of Calif. ...... Also for diabetics there are numerous sugar-free cookies ... candy ... jelly and other items including Splenda sweetener ...... Now as to pizza ..... sorry I can be of no help .... they ALL suck ...... but I do like Greenwich .... the lesser of all the evils ... we ate in the new Shakey's Pizza in Ayala when they opened up and made the mistake of asking for the thin crust ...... the damn crust was so thin and hard that I actually cut my gums on it ...... We don't eat out a whole lot but rather eat Filipino food at home my GF is an excellent cook ... as my expanding waist can attrubite .........

brock
Posted
Posted
Howdy folksWhy is it that all the pizzas in the Philippines taste like salt? Anyone know of a good pizza store?And bread, all the bread I have tried seems to be made up of 80% sugar and the rest in flour.I know that we all have different tastes but these two things I need to be a bit western style for me. SugarwareZ-047.gif Tom
Tom, Try Brews near baseline, I like their pizza, good music too, and they have home delivery service too and not expensive.Regards Brock.

Steve
Posted
Posted

The thick crust at Shakey's (Osmena Circle) is good. Glad that we didn't get the thin (thanks for the heads up Mike). Greenwich wasn't bad for a quick pizza.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
Tom, Try Brews near baseline, I like their pizza, good music too, and they have home delivery service too and not expensive.Regards Brock.
Brock, do they deliver to Australia, lol, thanks I will try them out once I get back.I did get a pizza from just near Marina mall on Matcan once, took forever to make it then were really disappointed because of its salt taste.

Hosea
Posted
Posted

Hate to say it but I am picky (very picky). I thought I was the only one that had a problem with Filipino food. My first meal off the plane made me sick. Suddenly I found myself more interested in finding a safe meal than site seeing. It seemed foreign to all those around me that I just wanted a salad. In the morning I wanted something simple like pancakes, pork sausage or bacon. Toast seemed to be a problem to because I just don't like white bread since I was a child and all we could afford was Wonder bread. It seemed that even the fruit was against me. Whatever happened to a plane old apple, grapes, pears. After finding foods I could eat I was wonderfully surprised at things like Tuna Jaw, Pomelo, Manila Mangoes and on and on. One thing that continued to be a problem was salt, sugar and oil. SM does have the best bread in Davao City. It was nice to find real French breads at the Mall of Asia. Right now I am dreaming of opening an inexpensive fast food place supplied by my own bakery. Real breads and pastries. As far as pizzas are concerned, I have never enjoyed Pizza Hut here as I did at SM Davao City. The fudge sundae at Pizza Hut is just awesome! We did find favorite places to eat like Grand Men Seng Hotel (downtown Davao City). The buffet there was consistently good and it cost us only P450 with can sodas for two. Our favorite restaurant in Manila was Mom and Dad's Family Restaurant.

twostrokes
Posted
Posted
Funny you should bring up those two items, Pizza and bread....when we had to move to La Union after the valcano coated angeles city with ash, I found no good bread to be had there. One German was making bread, but in order to short cut his time, he used 10 times the correct amount of yeast so his rise time was next to nothing..This also caused the bread to mold by the 2nd day...All the local breads were sweet which I didn't like.. So I said screw it, I'll bake my own, as I happen to know my way around a kitchen...Everything was great, until I made the mistake of giving a loaf to a friend...3 months later we were baking 16 hrs a day, and supplying most of the resorts that catered to foreigners with their bread, rolls, and buns...I was in the Bakery business and didn't even know how that happened. After retuning to Angeles city a year later, I could find no good Pizza. So I said screw it. 3 months later I was baking pizza's 16 hrs a day, had a restaurant selling Pizza's and Sub sandwiches...I also Froze them and set up a few places with my home made "Rocket" pizza oven as it was named by others...I would set up any place I considered too far for me to walk for delivery...plus many of the Hotels....My full menu'd restaurant I had there before the valcano blew up got destroyed as the building caved in on top of everything. I only salvaged the frig and freezer, everything else was a total loss...Have no idea what is available there, as I have never been to Cebu....Maybe next year I can answer you.hehehJim

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
Funny you should bring up those two items, Pizza and bread....when we had to move to La Union after the valcano coated angeles city with ash, I found no good bread to be had there. One German was making bread, but in order to short cut his time, he used 10 times the correct amount of yeast so his rise time was next to nothing..This also caused the bread to mold by the 2nd day...All the local breads were sweet which I didn't like.. So I said screw it, I'll bake my own, as I happen to know my way around a kitchen...Everything was great, until I made the mistake of giving a loaf to a friend...3 months later we were baking 16 hrs a day, and supplying most of the resorts that catered to foreigners with their bread, rolls, and buns...I was in the Bakery business and didn't even know how that happened. After retuning to Angeles city a year later, I could find no good Pizza. So I said screw it. 3 months later I was baking pizza's 16 hrs a day, had a restaurant selling Pizza's and Sub sandwiches...I also Froze them and set up a few places with my home made "Rocket" pizza oven as it was named by others...I would set up any place I considered too far for me to walk for delivery...plus many of the Hotels....My full menu'd restaurant I had there before the valcano blew up got destroyed as the building caved in on top of everything. I only salvaged the frig and freezer, everything else was a total loss...Have no idea what is available there, as I have never been to Cebu....Maybe next year I can answer you.hehehJim
Wow, thats some story Jim, hope I'm around next time you say screw it. Might end up rich.Paul was once looking to buy one of those home bake bread things once, not sure if he got one or not but I would say he would be to lazy to make his own. :rolleyes:

twostrokes
Posted
Posted
Wow, thats some story Jim, hope I'm around next time you say screw it. Might end up rich.Paul was once looking to buy one of those home bake bread things once, not sure if he got one or not but I would say he would be to lazy to make his own. :as-if:
Well, I'm getting to old for that stuff now, so when I say "screw it" now, it means "forget it" and do without....But things might be different after I get back there, you never know...If I went back a few more years, I could say, I didn't like the way bars were run, so I said screw it, and got my own....did that 3 times back in the 60's and early 70's.... what a headache....would never do that again....I feel for anyone that in that business, owning a restaurant is enough trouble.Jim

johnrxx99
Posted
Posted

Best pizza - Giuseppe's in Maria Luisa road, Banilad or (bugger) can't remember but in Banilad road near the Petron garage - proper Italian thin crust, none of your Shakey type muck.For bread, Gustavian also in Maria Luisa road or Tinderbox in Banilad road as well. Propert stuff, well as near as you can get with the flour over here.