Kano Money Is Always Your Money!

have you funded a student?  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Have you funded a student and to what result?

• I funded a student they dropped out.
    • I funded a student they are now working in a low level job what is the point.
    • I funded a student who stole the money.
    • I funded a student who is now in a good job or waiting to leave RP
    • I wont fund students because i think its a waste of my money.
    • I wont fund a student because they arent my problem.
    • I would fund a student but havent found one to fund.
    • I think its more important people learn to value the funding before I give a single peso.
    • the education system is a waste of time as they have to restudy when they go abroad anyway.

tropicalwaste
Posted
Posted

At the get together the other night at the Ranch it came up on topic regarding the problems of Funding education.. money disappearing (being spent) people dropping out of class etc etc. same issues with not only foreigners but OFW's and I think it comes down to its money not earned by the person its being gifted to...I have seen some odd things with friends I have one who would sell T shirts he had been sent by relatives in the U.S. to only go and buy the same T Shirt designs months on with money also given by the same relatives because they were now in fashion.. truth of the matter there was no value of money to him because he had never had to earn a single peso in his life. I wont go into the long story of the things that really I find amazing about the person as he is a friend.. But I look at a lot of people and personally decided not to get involved in educating others.. its dead money and there is little or no thanks when it all goes wrong which seems to happen too often. Is it caused by OFW`s over compensating for being abroad or are the OFW`s being asked too much of which in turn shows a lack of respect and appreciation..? (Reason I put OFW`s is I think it happens more to them than us foreigners).

FlyAway
Posted
Posted

My wife put her 5 younger siblings through college. Her step mother even got a doctorates degree. They all have good jobs but still ask for money for some thing or another. My wife worked 13 years in Hong Kong. I know what you mean by OFW's getting pressured more than us foreigners.

johnb
Posted
Posted

Hi Matt, I agree entirely but I see it simply as a human trait, it could be compared to kids being given to much pocket money or just children from wealthier families where there only experience in handling money [ Budgeting] is to put there hands out for more, It's a total lack of ownership and responsibility, because what ever was given be it payment for schooling, a motorcycle or start up cash for a business the individual did not take part in the generation of the funds so they do not value them and as a result they take know ownership. basically if it was given so easily it must have been earnt easilyToward the end of my time working in Development this problem was becoming more and more obvious, government agencies, NGO's and groups from the private sector including village level projects such as chicken farms would apply to us for funding , if they were turned down they would just apply to another donor, but as donor funding dried up, and the remaining donors asked for Business plans and required that groups requesting funding also contributed to the projects be it local labor, local materials, or even salary for a member of staff or a building to house the project, we could see things changing, a sense of ownership on behalf of the community started to develop. Later the same thing was taken up a level to government projects, on one occasion my company was asked to send a development worker to design and oversee the installation of a solar power system for a Hospital in Uganda, of course with the request for the Development worker was a request for a ridicules amount of cash . after the requested budget was trimmed down the government were asked to match the costs Dollar for Dollar, in other words if they wanted the solar system they pay half. they actually agreed and in that case it worked out. areas where it failed was with corrupt church officials who basically didn't want to answer to anyone, I saw this first hand in Both Kenya and Uganda, personally I expected it however my Cebuana wife who was working with me did not, but she never allowed the actions of these officials to place questions on her faith. but that's another story. we had a three or four page document that we would hand out to projects who requested funds from us, it was a simple layout and designed to be filled out at village level, it had questions such as " what will be your contribution to the Project?" and "Who will be accountable for the funds?" and " how will the project benefit the community?" it also requested a business plan etc..... perhaps I should try to find a copy it might make a good tick list for members thinking of funding family projects.John

tropicalwaste
Posted
Posted
My wife put her 5 younger siblings through college. Her step mother even got a doctorates degree. They all have good jobs but still ask for money for some thing or another. My wife worked 13 years in Hong Kong. I know what you mean by OFW's getting pressured more than us foreigners.
Thanks for your response Eric your right about the "expected" gifted cash.. I remember when I went on holiday in the UK with my parents and the week before I went I had to change a gearbox on the car.. two days after arriving on holiday with the same car the clutch went.. by the time the repairs were done I had lost most of my holiday money to garages.. I refused to take any handouts from my parents as I seen it as my problem and I shouldnt be eating into their holiday money.. end result was when I went to the CR etc. I would come back to the table to find free beer but then I would buy my father one back to stop things being gifted.. lol I am stubborn but at the same time its having a real value of money that helps people move forward in life. The hand out mentality is partly to blame for some of the Philippines problems as carrying others is always a major burden as not only doesnt it help them it puts a strain on the OFW being able to manage their daily lives never mind plan for the future.

tropicalwaste
Posted
Posted
Hi Matt, I agree entirely but I see it simply as a human trait, it could be compared to kids being given to much pocket money or just children from wealthier families where there only experience in handling money [ Budgeting] is to put there hands out for more, It's a total lack of ownership and responsibility, because what ever was given be it payment for schooling, a motorcycle or start up cash for a business the individual did not take part in the generation of the funds so they do not value them and as a result they take know ownership. basically if it was given so easily it must have been earnt easilyToward the end of my time working in Development this problem was becoming more and more obvious, government agencies, NGO's and groups from the private sector including village level projects such as chicken farms would apply to us for funding , if they were turned down they would just apply to another donor, but as donor funding dried up, and the remaining donors asked for Business plans and required that groups requesting funding also contributed to the projects be it local labor, local materials, or even salary for a member of staff or a building to house the project, we could see things changing, a sense of ownership on behalf of the community started to develop. Later the same thing was taken up a level to government projects, on one occasion my company was asked to send a development worker to design and oversee the installation of a solar power system for a Hospital in Uganda, of course with the request for the Development worker was a request for a ridicules amount of cash . after the requested budget was trimmed down the government were asked to match the costs Dollar for Dollar, in other words if they wanted the solar system they pay half. they actually agreed and in that case it worked out. areas where it failed was with corrupt church officials who basically didn't want to answer to anyone, I saw this first hand in Both Kenya and Uganda, personally I expected it however my Cebuana wife who was working with me did not, but she never allowed the actions of these officials to place questions on her faith. but that's another story. we had a three or four page document that we would hand out to projects who requested funds from us, it was a simple layout and designed to be filled out at village level, it had questions such as " what will be your contribution to the Project?" and "Who will be accountable for the funds?" and " how will the project benefit the community?" it also requested a business plan etc..... perhaps I should try to find a copy it might make a good tick list for members thinking of funding family projects.John
Good idea on the project list and I understand totally where you are coming from.. When I started the twinning projects with the schools the first reply I got back was not thank you for your twinning etc.. but can we have an IT suite thumbs-up-smile.gif wasn't even a reason or a thank you for any assistance in getting it just expected.. spoke to April about it and she said its down to being used to "foreigners" NGO`s etc.. giving stuff away so as soon as a foreigner is involved they assume its an open cheque. Which is the complete opposite of what I want to be doing as I want to add value to peoples lives not be riding the gravy train.I think a lot of it is inherited from the West due to things like the campaigns you see on Western television.. "help Haiti send millions of dollars" (Which aren't properly monitored and likely to end up in corrupt officials pockets). I think the financial crisis in the West currently may change peoples thoughts on the gifting of funds and personally I think anything has to be like you said a combined effort rather than handing over cash which ends up with some for the project some for a pocket.. I wont get onto the church discussion as I have a similar view and experience as yourself and if people are into the religion thing most people are blind to it so no point discussing it as it wont help :-s

TheMason
Posted
Posted

My wife and I are about to embark on the adventure of funding her son's education. One of the things that concerns me about the education system here is that they start college so young. 16-year-old kids are not ready to take education seriously. At that age, preparing for the rest of your life doesn't mean that much because you don't really have any concept of what that is really all about. Both of his parents are hard workers, so I hope he will turn out to be the same. Time will tell.

sjp52
Posted
Posted
My wife and I are about to embark on the adventure of funding her son's education. One of the things that concerns me about the education system here is that they start college so young. 16-year-old kids are not ready to take education seriously. At that age, preparing for the rest of your life doesn't mean that much because you don't really have any concept of what that is really all about. Both of his parents are hard workers, so I hope he will turn out to be the same. Time will tell.
I started funding my wife.s son in college. He got half way threw his 3rd semester and decided it was not for him. He is a good kid but said he could not believe how much harder it was than high school

Singers
Posted
Posted (edited)
Thanks for your response Eric your right about the "expected" gifted cash.. I remember when I went on holiday in the UK with my parents and the week before I went I had to change a gearbox on the car.. two days after arriving on holiday with the same car the clutch went.. by the time the repairs were done I had lost most of my holiday money to garages.. I refused to take any handouts from my parents as I seen it as my problem and I shouldnt be eating into their holiday money.. end result was when I went to the CR etc. I would come back to the table to find free beer but then I would buy my father one back to stop things being gifted.. lol I am stubborn but at the same time its having a real value of money that helps people move forward in life. The hand out mentality is partly to blame for some of the Philippines problems as carrying others is always a major burden as not only doesnt it help them it puts a strain on the OFW being able to manage their daily lives never mind plan for the future.
Hi Matt,I have touched on this subject elsewhere on this forum.Your last line above is spot on regarding OFW's. My town is a Spa so traditionally had a high number of nursing homes, 2 hospitals Etc. perhaps 20 in a c30,000 Pop. Town. This has brought OFW's and other nationalities. There are a large number of Filipino families with children born here living in Worcestershire. The Filipino is highly regarded and respected locally.I being married to Tex, and trusted, am often confided in by the Filipino family men. In addition to the "chit Chat" from Tex I see a pattern of Stress caused by family "at home" not being able to understand that a Carer on £1,000 a month with overtime IS NOT RICH!!! in UK terms and needs to provide for his family here AT Western prices. They want all the toys other kids have. Etc.I will give two examples of some of the sh1t they suffer. IMO...Fam 1. He a Dentist in PI - a Carer here working nights. His wife , a carer here works days AND many many "Long days" ie double shift 07.45 to 19.30 with ALL time in the Nursing Home. Not allowed out!!!. Perhaps they earn £30,000 PA. for all the hard work and long hours. They have 2 sons c12 & 13 years old. They are buying a house here on mortgage. They DO NOT send money home! except for emergencies. Fam 2. He a motor mechanic works in a small car parts factory, "minimum wage" so earns about net £1,000 a month. He has a home in Manila. His wife a Senior nurse - earns c£ 2,000. month. they have a 9 month old baby. I am GodFather ( POOR unfortunate Child) She works "Long Days" to support her Mother and gambling Drunk of a father who wastes this gift from his stressed and worn out Daughter. Joint income about?? £40,000.PA. They rent a house and live frugally. The husband answered my statement to him "drop the Bum Fathers allowance" with "it is our Culture Tom. You wont understand"!. Rent and Rates (local Gov. Tax - say £100 on 2 bed flat)) + utilities will account for £ 900, a month, easily in this locality.<http://www.reed.co.u...+8rs&jt=1&lp=10>Church, School, Government and Greed has instilled the need to remit and to "be a good (RP) Citizen, fall in line and follow that line and pay your taxes" I heard these words from the Bishop of Cebu - from the Alter - and I walked out as did most Foreigners in the congregation.SugarwareZ-024.gifThere IS no answer that a westerner will easily swallow?. never mind accept. Understand? - perhaps.Reducing the "Money Tap' to a DRIP is the best I can expect my Lovely Filipina to accept???. Tom th_whatsup.gifth_no.gif Edited by Singers

tropicalwaste
Posted
Posted

good response Tom.. although one thing i do use with the "you don't understand the culture" is that they are right.. its not my culture and its not upto me to support others out of demand.. working for a living is my culture.. work ethics.. responsibility.. etc. etc.. and that is how i operate myself.. just wish others would do the same not just foreigners like us but also the OFW's

Singers
Posted
Posted
good response Tom.. although one thing i do use with the "you don't understand the culture" is that they are right.. its not my culture and its not upto me to support others out of demand.. working for a living is my culture.. work ethics.. responsibility.. etc. etc.. and that is how i operate myself.. just wish others would do the same not just foreigners like us but also the OFW's
During "Our" recent Cultural exchange, Tex & me, I used "Yes your culture - but not 50 years ago when no OFW's" and " you adapt to my Culture instead as we are now in UK".! Deaf ears Tex on that one.UK Tom