Pal Seeks P28 Million In Damages From Unruly American

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

WTF, p28.272 million for a window. I guess they do think we are all very rich. While I fully agree the man should be punished if not found to be off his meds, or off his rocker,

Singers
Posted
Posted
WTF, p28.272 million for a window. I guess they do think we are all very rich. While I fully agree the man should be punished if not found to be off his meds, or off his rocker, SugarwareZ-007.gif how the heck does a window equal $620,000? Could it be that he did more damage? :dance: I sure hope they can try to justify that figure or they will be making fools of themselves before the international community. Philippine Airlines (PAL) is demanding $620,000 or P28.272 million in damages from an 80-year-old American, who went berserk and hit a window panel with his cane on a Manila-Cebu flight last Friday. The rest of this story can be found here
Most (50%)+ Commercial jet windows can be reconditioned at a saving of at least 50% of new cost -- SO0oo PAL Exec's see a possible "Christmas Bonus" on the horizon ??? Me thinks!!

TheMason
Posted
Posted
I sure hope they can try to justify that figure or they will be making fools of themselves before the international community.
From GMA chasing down a phone call from Obama like a bitch in heat to marketing themselves as the best source of cheap, exploitable labor on the planet, when has the Philippines ever worried about looking like a fool to the international community? PAL is just being a good Filipino company and following their govt.'s example.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
WTF, p28.272 million for a window. I guess they do think we are all very rich. While I fully agree the man should be punished if not found to be off his meds, or off his rocker, SugarwareZ-007.gif how the heck does a window equal $620,000? Could it be that he did more damage? :dance: I sure hope they can try to justify that figure or they will be making fools of themselves before the international community. Philippine Airlines (PAL) is demanding $620,000 or P28.272 million in damages from an 80-year-old American, who went berserk and hit a window panel with his cane on a Manila-Cebu flight last Friday. The rest of this story can be found here
Lets think about this,the window and glass is most likely not your average glass,the plane will be out of action for time to repair. The cost of maybe putting a replacement plane into service,might have to be flown from point A to B etc

Singers
Posted
Posted
Lets think about this,the window and glass is most likely not your average glass,the plane will be out of action for time to repair. The cost of maybe putting a replacement plane into service,might have to be flown from point A to B etc
Anyone know -- Was the 'plane "Grounded" after the incident?

UZI
Posted
Posted
:woohoo: Good to see a bit of thought going into this. We are talking about a plane here not the window in your Revo. Parts, labour and as Boss Man pointed out, downtime causing loss of revenue will all add up to a sizable bill I would think.UZI.

Singers
Posted
Posted (edited)
:woohoo: Good to see a bit of thought going into this. We are talking about a plane here not the window in your Revo. Parts, labour and as Boss Man pointed out, downtime causing loss of revenue will all add up to a sizable bill I would think.UZI.
A little further reading showed, "the window hit by Hampton had spider web-like cracks, which, however, did not affect the Manila-Cebu flight since it had a three-layered panel" so not pressurised.! More for PAX comfort, Plastic double glazing, than critical to safety. Perhaps it could be replaced when the next scheduled maintenance is carried out?. PHP 28 M. £400,000???. GREED me thinks!!!UK Tomps.. This could be had for the same money.!!Now THAT is a Chrismas BONUS?

post-688-12692658613937_thumb.png

Edited by Singers

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

I have been on Pal international flights which had an inside window cracked and the stewardess said not to worry about it since that is only an inside plastic window which just protects the outside window, so if that was true and since the plane was still flying and did not implode, then I believe it must have been true, then that piece of plastic will in no way stop the plane from flying and could be replaced easily at the next maintenance as already said. So as I said before, if they cannot justify the amount they ask for, then I think they are just being greedy and making fools of themselves, but that is just my foolish lack of airplane knowledge opinion and I would love to see the opinion of someone who has worked on those types of aircraft and who could tell us how much time and money it costs to replace one of those pieces of plastic, after all the US government has paid hundreds of dollars for toilet seats and hammers, so maybe the plastic window does cost a few hundred dollars but $619 thousand and change dollars labor seems to be a bit much IMO.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
I have been on Pal international flights which had an inside window cracked and the stewardess said not to worry about it since that is only an inside plastic window which just protects the outside window, so if that was true and since the plane was still flying and did not implode, then I believe it must have been true, then that piece of plastic will in no way stop the plane from flying and could be replaced easily at the next maintenance as already said. So as I said before, if they cannot justify the amount they ask for, then I think they are just being greedy and making fools of themselves, but that is just my foolish lack of airplane knowledge opinion and I would love to see the opinion of someone who has worked on those types of aircraft and who could tell us how much time and money it costs to replace one of those pieces of plastic, after all the US government has paid hundreds of dollars for toilet seats and hammers, so maybe the plastic window does cost a few hundred dollars but $619 thousand and change dollars labor seems to be a bit much IMO.
You still don't see the point about aircraft down time,also we do not know the extent of the damage from what we read.

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
You still don't see the point about aircraft down time,also we do not know the extent of the damage from what we read.
Aircraft down time in the Philippines might be an issue since something that would take a US mechanic a few hours to fix might take weeks or months to get it done here. Now I am not being negative about the Philippines, I am just speaking from experiences that I have had here with some repairs needed while others are done way before I even expected them to be done. It is hit and miss here so maybe the plane could be down for a month or more and that might justify their $619,000 service charge. One hour to remove the window, two weeks to draw up the paperwork and pass it to all those who might have to approve it, then another two weeks to send it to whatever country makes the part, then another few weeks until they send the part, then another few days until they find a mechanic who is not on break to install it, and then an hour to install it. Yup this is the Philippines, but the guy who broke it should not be billed for the inefficiency of the system here.