once a crim

Travis
Posted
Posted
A guy rapes and kills your 10 year old daughter, You kill him, You serve 7 years in prison, Should you be punished the rest of your life for that crime ?.
I know it is not fair but that is the way it is & it should be & you should not be punished the rest of your life for the crime of killing a scumbag who did that but for not being smart enough to not get caught

TheMason
Posted
Posted (edited)
I am not saying it is societies fault a person committed a crime. What I am saying is if you are going to give someone a second chance then at least give them a chance to prove it. I have seen time and time again people in prison learn a trade, they attend group meetings for AA, NA, and slews of other programs available. Upon release they apply for jobs only to be turned down because of the felony conviction. There are many that just give up and figure the only life they have is in the prison system. Their basic needs are then met, food and shelter. Also they get medical and dental care. This really becomes a philosophical debate. Society sets laws for it's people, when some of the people break the rules then society punishes them. So in essence society takes responsibility for the person who breaks the law. Once society locks that person up in prison, they take on the responsibility for the care and well being of that person. Like it or not.
I think this is where you and I differ. Society has a very basic resposnibility to those it incarcerates. It includes enough food and shelter to avoid starvation and death from exposure and that is all. It does not include 3 full meals a day, health care, exercise equipment, dental care, therapy, television, internet, libraries, or anything else not required to sustain life. Prison should be such a horrible place that people would never want to go back there. If someone thinks prison is worth getting 3 hots and a cot, then the prison is not doing its job. Rather then spending billions of dollars on caring for criminals, that money should be spent on alleviating poverty and the conditions that breed crime in the first place.
A guy rapes and kills your 10 year old daughter, You kill him, You serve 7 years in prison, Should you be punished the rest of your life for that crime ?.
In your example, both the rapist and the murderer are guilty of putting their selfish desires above the rights of others. In the case of the rapist, the desire to rape and kill supersedes the right to life of his victim. In the case of the murderer, the desire for revenge supersedes the right to life of the victim. In both cases, the decision to put their selfish needs and desires ahead of someone else's right to life is equally wrong and the punishment should be the same. Both the rapist and the murderer deserve to spend the rest of their lives in prison. Murder is the one crime that does not warrant society giving you a second chance. No matter the motivation, murder is always wrong and deserves life-long imprisonment. Edited by TheMason

FlyAway
Posted
Posted

No difference the in opinions about the requirement of society to meet the basic requirements of life for inmates. Many of the correctional officers I know do not think prisons coddle inmates as much as people think. They have to interact with inmates on a daily basis. TV's and radio's pacify the inmates (great babysitters as one put it). Many think they should not have TV's but the officers know it makes their job easier. According to them, it comes down to safety of staff and inmates. You can treat them like dirt and put staff and other inmates at risk or find ways to pacify them. Putting them in individual cells and keeping them locked up 24/7 is a greater expense.The killing of a human being in California is broken down into 1st Degree murder, 2nd Degree murder, Manslaughter, and Involuntary Manslaughter. Society through its legislature has set standards for the punishment levels. 25 to life or death for 1st degree.The case of the father killing the rapist is an all to common one. Most get manslaughter which carries a sentence of less than 14 years last I looked. Some cases they got involuntary manslaughter because they beat the person to death without a proven intention to kill. Involuntary manslaughter has a sentence of 2 - 4 years.Thinking of all criminal's as being selfish and having the attitude of "I want" or "I take" is not always true. I know a guy that tried to help his son kick a heroin addiction. He made the mistake of purchasing the heroin with the thought of slowly reducing / detoxing his son. The police arrested and charged him with possession. He was eventually convicted of possession due to the amount and sentenced to 6 years. During the trial his son was arrested multiple times for petty theft and other minor misdemeanor crimes but always released. The son died from a heroin overdose soon after the conviction of his father.

Travis
Posted
Posted
No difference the in opinions about the requirement of society to meet the basic requirements of life for inmates. Many of the correctional officers I know do not think prisons coddle inmates as much as people think. They have to interact with inmates on a daily basis. TV's and radio's pacify the inmates (great babysitters as one put it). Many think they should not have TV's but the officers know it makes their job easier. According to them, it comes down to safety of staff and inmates. You can treat them like dirt and put staff and other inmates at risk or find ways to pacify them. Putting them in individual cells and keeping them locked up 24/7 is a greater expense.The killing of a human being in California is broken down into 1st Degree murder, 2nd Degree murder, Manslaughter, and Involuntary Manslaughter. Society through its legislature has set standards for the punishment levels. 25 to life or death for 1st degree.The case of the father killing the rapist is an all to common one. Most get manslaughter which carries a sentence of less than 14 years last I looked. Some cases they got involuntary manslaughter because they beat the person to death without a proven intention to kill. Involuntary manslaughter has a sentence of 2 - 4 years.Thinking of all criminal's as being selfish and having the attitude of "I want" or "I take" is not always true. I know a guy that tried to help his son kick a heroin addiction. He made the mistake of purchasing the heroin with the thought of slowly reducing / detoxing his son. The police arrested and charged him with possession. He was eventually convicted of possession due to the amount and sentenced to 6 years. During the trial his son was arrested multiple times for petty theft and other minor misdemeanor crimes but always released. The son died from a heroin overdose soon after the conviction of his father.
I would pacify them by putting them into a vegetative state until they die or they could save a lot of money if they just execute those who murder 1391.gif firing squad style 1%20(72).gifor maybe 728.gif & then maybe people would think twice before raping or murdering sorry I have no pity for murderous criminals or rapists but I do pity the victims families who would then probably celebrate once the piece of trash was dead 559.gif

TheMason
Posted
Posted
No difference the in opinions about the requirement of society to meet the basic requirements of life for inmates. Many of the correctional officers I know do not think prisons coddle inmates as much as people think. They have to interact with inmates on a daily basis. TV's and radio's pacify the inmates (great babysitters as one put it). Many think they should not have TV's but the officers know it makes their job easier. According to them, it comes down to safety of staff and inmates. You can treat them like dirt and put staff and other inmates at risk or find ways to pacify them. Putting them in individual cells and keeping them locked up 24/7 is a greater expense.
Individual cells? What the hell...are we running a hotel or a prison? Stick 20-25 guys in a 20 X 20 cell with a couple of toilets, sinks, and mattresses. Feed them steamed rice and veggies twice a day. They have no need to ever leave that cell on a regular basis. If they need to exercise, they can jog in place. If they need to bathe, that's what the sinks are for. If they do need to leave the cell for any other reason, 3 guys with automatic rifles, cattle prods, and tear gas can easily control 20 inmates that are eating nothing but rich and veggies.
The killing of a human being in California is broken down into 1st Degree murder, 2nd Degree murder, Manslaughter, and Involuntary Manslaughter. Society through its legislature has set standards for the punishment levels. 25 to life or death for 1st degree.
Well, California to me is a perfect example of how NOT to treat criminals or how NOT to run a society, but I agree with you on the different types of murder carrying different sentences. Intentional, premeditated murder and you don't get a second chance. Accidental killing is a different story.
The case of the father killing the rapist is an all to common one. Most get manslaughter which carries a sentence of less than 14 years last I looked. Some cases they got involuntary manslaughter because they beat the person to death without a proven intention to kill. Involuntary manslaughter has a sentence of 2 - 4 years.Thinking of all criminal's as being selfish and having the attitude of "I want" or "I take" is not always true. I know a guy that tried to help his son kick a heroin addiction. He made the mistake of purchasing the heroin with the thought of slowly reducing / detoxing his son. The police arrested and charged him with possession. He was eventually convicted of possession due to the amount and sentenced to 6 years. During the trial his son was arrested multiple times for petty theft and other minor misdemeanor crimes but always released. The son died from a heroin overdose soon after the conviction of his father.
Nothing is always true except that we'll all die some day. However, I think its true often enough that I'm comfortable going with that generalization. Personally, I don't think drug possession or use should be a crime. If you can function and not harm others while on drugs, go for it. If you do harm someone there are already laws on the books to make those actions criminal. However, intoxication is should not be a mitigating factor. If your drug use impairs your judgment and you act in a manner that you would not normally act....tough luck for you. Should have thought of that before you decided to get high.I really have no sympathy or use for people that commit violent crime or steal. If they do it once, put them in jail as a warning about what they face for the rest of their lives if they don't stop their criminal behavior. If they do it twice, well in my book they're done as free members of society. I think killing them is wrong, but forcing them to live in conditions that billions of people in the 3rd world live in...well I'm completely ok with that.

FlyAway
Posted
Posted

California has some of the toughest sentencing laws on the books today. Intoxication is no longer a mitigating defense. Violent crimes do 85% of their sentence. Sentence enhancements for gun use is stiff. Use a gun +10 years, shoot the gun +20, injure or kill someone +25 to life. We have the 3 Strikes law. If a person is convicted of multiple felonies the first time then each felony counts as a strike. So if one is convicted of burglary and assault in the same case then that counts as two strikes. After that almost any crime (stealing a loaf of bread for example) later committed becomes a 3d strike. So that becomes more like 2 Strikes you are out.Most of the violent crime is committed by gang bangers and drug addicts. I do not see those type of people wanting to immigrate the Philippines. Previously I read a comment about scum bag foreigners taking advantage of poor Filipino's. Now who really stands out to be taken advantage of there? I wish we knew more details about the New Zealander who was deported. Lots of questions in my mind. There was no mention of criminal activity on his part. Maybe he ran out of money and someone turned him in?