Stop Signs, Are They Just For Show?

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

I do not remember seeing a yield sign in the Philippines, but maybe they do exist, but I am wondering if Stops signs here really mean yield or if they are just there for a suggestion to stop, or if it is just because of lack of enforcement that taxi drivers never seem to stop for a stop sign,

TheMason
Posted
Posted
I do not remember seeing a yield sign in the Philippines, but maybe they do exist, but I am wondering if Stops signs here really mean yield or if they are just there for a suggestion to stop, or if it is just because of lack of enforcement that taxi drivers never seem to stop for a stop sign, :thumbsup: well at least in Cebu and when we were in Manila the last time, the drivers just went right on by the red traffic lights as if they were green and there was an enforcers right on that corner. So I have to wonder if stop actually means stop here or not? smileyvault-unsure.gif
When I was in high school one of my friends was learning how to drive. We told her that the stop signs in the US with the white border around them meant they were optional. She only had to stop for the ones without the white border. (all stop signs in the US have a white border around them) We thought it was a funny joke never thinking she'd be dumb enough to believe us. She nearly got in several wrecks before we realized she wasn't stopping because of what we told her. So, we told her we were only joking.As to the Philippines, the traffic laws are followed pretty much like every other law here. If you think some one will catch you or you'll get into trouble, don't break the law. Otherwise, if you can get some sort of personal advantage by disobeying the law, then do it. Just the way it is here. I don't drive but I have learned not to rely on traffic lights or signs to tell me wen its safe to cross the street.

Singers
Posted
Posted (edited)
When I was in high school one of my friends was learning how to drive. We told her that the stop signs in the US with the white border around them meant they were optional. She only had to stop for the ones without the white border. (all stop signs in the US have a white border around them) We thought it was a funny joke never thinking she'd be dumb enough to believe us. She nearly got in several wrecks before we realized she wasn't stopping because of what we told her. So, we told her we were only joking.
NOW!!! THAT does NOT surprize ME??? Edited by Boss Man

TheMason
Posted
Posted
When I was in high school one of my friends was learning how to drive. We told her that the stop signs in the US with the white border around them meant they were optional. She only had to stop for the ones without the white border. (all stop signs in the US have a white border around them) We thought it was a funny joke never thinking she'd be dumb enough to believe us. She nearly got in several wrecks before we realized she wasn't stopping because of what we told her. So, we told her we were only joking.
NOW!!! THAT does NOT surprize ME???Well, it certainly surprised me. It was one of my first lessons in how gullible and foolish people can be sometimes. Reading your reply was the latest installment in that life-long lesson. :thumbsup:

Singers
Posted
Posted
Well, it certainly surprised me. It was one of my first lessons in how gullible and foolish people can be sometimes. Reading your reply was the latest installment in that life-long lesson.
OHho Deary me you misguided (Self inflicted?) poor Chap,I was referring to the stupidity of telling a learner such ROT -- as in rotten to the core -- and scant regard for the danger of imparting such sh1t information which could have resulted in a fatality and possible other victims besides the "friend" ?? so misled.Puts me in mind of the saying -- "With friends like him WHO needs enemies"!!.UK TOM:th_thholysheep: SugarwareZ-024.gif

Jake
Posted
Posted

In my experience driving in southern Luzon, most controlled intersections actuallydo have vehicles stopping when picking/dropping off people during their green light.But if you slow down or actually stop for a red light, expect to be rear ended or givena verbal greeting of the third kind.Respectfully -- Jake

Singers
Posted
Posted
In my experience driving in southern Luzon, most controlled intersections actuallydo have vehicles stopping when picking/dropping off people during their green light.But if you slow down or actually stop for a red light, expect to be rear ended or givena verbal greeting of the third kind.Respectfully -- Jake
Hi Dear JAKE"a verbal greeting of the third kind" has me at a loss? !!Do you mean "TURD" kind??? :whistling:Kind regards,UK TOM

Jake
Posted
Posted (edited)
Hi Dear JAKE"a verbal greeting of the third kind" has me at a loss? !!Do you mean "TURD" kind??? :whistling:Kind regards,UK TOM
Hello Tom,My oh my, how do you read between my lines! Anyway, here's another fact that was publishedin a major Manila paper several years ago: it's an open secret that when a pedestrian (in thiscase, a guy on a bicycle) was struck by a bus, the bus driver actually drove back in reverse tofinish him off. The reason behind that was it's less expensive for the bus ownership to pay forburial rather than the more costly medical expenses.Respectfully -- Jake Edited by Jake
mees-spilling ob words

brock
Posted
Posted

Spot the mistake if you can

post-7-12710688112902_thumb.jpg

TheMason
Posted
Posted
Spot the mistake if you can
That's right up there with this one from Miami.....090624_painters_misspell_school.jpg