Tunnel Will Be Passable After 3 To 4 Months Yet

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

I wonder what precautions were taken to prevent this tunnel from flooding or collapsing? If malls collapse here, are any of you brave enough to drive through this tunnel during a rain storm.

Travis
Posted
Posted
I wonder what precautions were taken to prevent this tunnel from flooding or collapsing? If malls collapse here, are any of you brave enough to drive through this tunnel during a rain storm. SugarwareZ-004.gifCebu Tunnel
how does that song go? ill take the high road & you take the low road & you can go 7_3_205[1].gifrolleyes.gif

TheMason
Posted
Posted
I wonder what precautions were taken to prevent this tunnel from flooding or collapsing? If malls collapse here, are any of you brave enough to drive through this tunnel during a rain storm. SugarwareZ-004.gifCebu Tunnel
Don't you live in a condo tower? I wouldn't bet the farm that the construction there is any better than on the roads or malls. Any building in the Philippines is a crap shoot. After the recent earth quake in Manila I noticed many disturbing cracks in the new section of Robinson's Mall that they just built. The condo tower we're in seems to have held up well, but I'll be glad when I'm not living in this place any more.

FlyAway
Posted
Posted
Don't you live in a condo tower? I wouldn't bet the farm that the construction there is any better than on the roads or malls. Any building in the Philippines is a crap shoot. After the recent earth quake in Manila I noticed many disturbing cracks in the new section of Robinson's Mall that they just built. The condo tower we're in seems to have held up well, but I'll be glad when I'm not living in this place any more.
High Rise Towers + Philippine Building Standards + Earthquake = No thanks for me wanting to buy into one or live in one. Something about having hollow block walls in a high rise bothers me.

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
Yup, I have always liked to live dangerously. Condo, hotel, condo, hotel, not much difference except I know where the exits are and I have a very long rope. :541: Of course I could live in a house and have the ground swallow us. :thumbs-up-smile: I do seem to remember reading about many of those killed in Haiti were in ground floor houses :D :) but I still would not go below the ground into a tunnel built in the Philippines.

Jake
Posted
Posted
Yup, I have always liked to live dangerously. Condo, hotel, condo, hotel, not much difference except I know where the exits are and I have a very long rope. :541: Of course I could live in a house and have the ground swallow us. :thumbs-up-smile: I do seem to remember reading about many of those killed in Haiti were in ground floor houses :D :) but I still would not go below the ground into a tunnel built in the Philippines.
I often times wonder how many structures throughout the Philippines would meetany building/engineering codes. The only structural integrity that I know of thatmeets and exceeds any codes is the "under the table" contracts signed by bothgovt and private contractors.Respectfully -- Jake

TheMason
Posted
Posted
I often times wonder how many structures throughout the Philippines would meetany building/engineering codes. The only structural integrity that I know of thatmeets and exceeds any codes is the "under the table" contracts signed by bothgovt and private contractors.Respectfully -- Jake
I don't think too many do. When I lived in Baguio, I was shocked to see how the houses were built. There was a lot of death and destruction when the earthquake hit in '92, but nobody seems to have learned anything. They still build haphazardly with substandard materials and plans.Of course, shoddy work is not unique to the Philippines. Didn't The Big Dig in Boston collape a couple years back? That was a big project to move the Interstate highway to run under the city center instead of through it. As I recall, the roof fell in and killed a few people. It was blamed on the contractor cutting corners on the quality of cement used.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
You don't need an earthquake for a building to fall in Manila

• 5 weeks later...
Inspector
Posted
Posted

Holy shiit....:thumbs-up-smile:

Travis
Posted
Posted
You don't need an earthquake for a building to fall in Manila
th_thholysheep.gifwow I live in a hi rise & hope it does not fall down like that one did ohmy.gif