• Live in a hotel
    • Live in a Nipa Hut
    • Live on the streets
    • None of the above
  6. 6. Do you think your living arrangements are good

manabouttown
Posted
Posted

Hey guysJust put some thought into how other expats are living in the Philippines,please fill in the poll questions and post about your situation to give some insight into how you all live.

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

Since we own our own condo it is hard to fit into those money categories but condo dues cost us about p2100 a month and then there is water at about p600 and then property taxes which are under p10,000 a year, so your lowest figure plus other utilities etc would be where I think we fit in, but that of course does not take into account the cost of a mortgage which we have now paid off because we own the units over 3 years now and at that time the builder offered 30% down and 2 years no interest on the balance and now I believe offers 3 to 5 years no interest depending on how much the unit sells for. I believe studios are now 3 years no interest and 2 bedrooms are 4 years and 3 bedroom units are 5 years no interest with 30% down but all that is now hearsay on my part because we are not buying nowadays and things can change depending on supply and demand. 

Travis
Posted
Posted

I live in a small rented condo so my costs are low & it is just me cuz I am single but I have seen married couples with children living in the same size or smaller units cuz as they say dis is da Philippines

Art2ro
Posted
Posted

My wife and I (no extended family or domestic helpers) own our home and live in a safe, clean and quiet gated subdivision of approximately 700 homes. I would describe our area as your typical, affordable, upscale and modern suburban area that doesn't have a lot of squatters, jeepneys, tricycles, barking dogs or crowing roosters, thank goodness! SugarwareZ-003.gif

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
Inspector
Posted
Posted
My wife and I (no extended family or domestic helpers) own our home and live in a safe, clean and quiet gated subdivision of approximately 700 homes. I would describe our area as your typical, affordable, upscale and modern suburban area that doesn't have a lot of squatters, jeepneys, tricycles, barking dogs or crowing roosters, thank goodness! SugarwareZ-003.gif
I am soooo looking to live in one of these type places. Prima Vera in Consolacion has a nice 5 bedroom, 3 CR, three story place for 20,000 pesos a month...waiting for the owner to clean it up from the last tenants and hopefully he will accept us with the dog. I LOVED the place...everything you describe with a large clubhouse and swimming pool. Now THAT is a way I can enjoy living here...a little peace and quiet, and a pool. :AddEmoticons04230:

• 1 year later...
Call me bubba
Posted
Posted

renting is the best option for me (perhaps"most' of us). :lol: As non natives/citizens Cant own property unless its a "condo" type

• Like 3

joeatmanila
Posted
Posted

Renting Vs owning....depends for how long you plan to stay here.Say one would be calculating to stay 30 years here (or until he gets off the life's horseride) paying a rental of 8000p/month gives an amount of 288000p to nowhere. With half that amount he could have bought a nice house and when he's gone...give it to the church or to a homeless family or to the ever willing helpful "nurses" of Angeles city, or where ever his heart wishes. At least someone will remember him and say thank you. He will pay the amount anyway, so make it worth more to humanity at least.other than that, people who come and do not know how long they will stay, RENT.People who have families and kids of their own, so what if you are not allowed to own, you will inherit it to your kids anyway....House or condo? Depends on your likes and lifestyle. The amounts you pay for a condo per square meter compared to the house...is not for any comparison. a 30m2 condo in a decent area will cost as much as a house of 100m2 in the same area...

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Just keep in mind that a Foreigner may not own a home it belongs to his Filipina wife. There is no reliable way to know what would happen to HER property if the marriage goes south. As far as inheritance to children goes who knows how that would shake out what if the children were foreign citizens?Owning a home if you have a very happy stable relationship with your wife and her family is another thing.

Dzighnman
Posted
Posted
Owning a home if you have a very happy stable relationship with your wife and her family is another thing.
Thankfully this is the category we fall into. We rent a house now from a Dual Citizen living in Hawaii... we negotiated a lease for the five bedroom house and lot for 3 years at a very reasonable rate, of course, I say we... and I mean my wife with my strategic negotiation guidance..... when the leasor found out my wife was with a foreigner, he was a bit upset, as he knew he missed the "lottery"... we have some land away from town that we begin construction on in July so by the time our lease expires in 2013, we should be transitioned into home ownership.. just about when our landlord is hoping to again try his luck with the "lottery".... I joke, but he is a nice guy and I would expect that he will seek to up the lease payments when our lease expires. It is really good though that he is a dual citizen as he honors the intent of an agreed upon contract without hesitation even though he was notably pissed (no not drunk) that he missed a perceived opportunity to exploit the situation for more ching.
  • Like 3

SubicSteve
Posted
Posted
My wife and I (no extended family or domestic helpers) own our home and live in a safe, clean and quiet gated subdivision of approximately 700 homes. I would describe our area as your typical, affordable, upscale and modern suburban area that doesn't have a lot of squatters, jeepneys, tricycles, barking dogs or crowing roosters, thank goodness!SugarwareZ-003.gif
Saan????