Philippines Has Third Worst Bureaucracy In Asia - Survey

Travis
Posted
Posted
http://www.abs-cbnne...ape-asia-survey and they wonder why the Philippines is lagging so far behind other countries. so why would any foreigner want to have a business here?SINGAPORE - India, Indonesia and the Philippines have Asia's most inefficient bureaucracies, with red tape a constant blight to citizens and deterrent to foreign investment, a survey said Wednesday.Regional financial centres Singapore and Hong Kong have the most efficient bureaucracies, according to the survey of expatriate business executives by the Political and Economic Risk Consultancy (PERC).India had a score of 9.41, followed by Indonesia (8.59), the Philippines (8.37), Vietnam (8.13) and China (7.93).Malaysia was in sixth place from the bottom with a score of 6.97, followed by Taiwan (6.60), Japan (6.57), South Korea (6.13) and Thailand (5.53).Singapore was ranked has having the most efficient bureaucracy, with a score of 2.53, followed by Hong Kong with 3.49.PERC said 1,373 middle and senior expatriate executives took part in the survey carried out earlier this year.Singapore was also number one and Hong Kong was in third place globally in the World Bank's latest survey on the ease of doing business, which covered 183 economies.Government bureaucracies in some Asian countries have become "power centres" in their own right, allowing them to effectively resist efforts toward reforms by politicians and appointed officials, the Hong Kong-based firm said.In the Philippines, the government "goes through the motion" of addressing problems of bureaucratic red tape "but nothing has really made a dent in the problem," PERC said."Illegal fixing is well-entrenched in the Philippine bureaucracy," it said, referring to people called "fixers" who offer to facilitate transactions with government offices for a fee and often in collaboration with corrupt employees.Indonesian President Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono's failure to carry out reforms contributed to the resignation last month of respected finance minister Sri Mulyani Indrawati, who accepted a senior position at the World Bank, PERC said."Despite President Susilo's strong election mandate, he lacks the power to really shake up Indonesia's bureaucracy," the consultancy said.In India, "politicians frequently promise to reform and revitalise the Indian bureaucracy, but they have been ineffective in doing so -- mainly because the civil service is a power centre in its own right," PERC said.Dealing with India's bureaucracy "can be one of the most frustrating experiences for any Indian, let alone a foreign investor," it added.Bureaucratic red tape is both a "serious problem" in China and India, "but the differences in the political systems of these two countries have made inertia much worse in India than in China," it said.

Mik
Posted
Posted

The Philippines scored better than India and Indonesia. That's something to be proud of..

Inspector
Posted
Posted

I would never do a business here...that almost sounds silly to even have to post that declaration as in, really... but exactly what kind of money can you expect to make in this place?... and is it worth the headaches? A sari sari store? A piggery? Rent motorbikes? An internet cafe..haha. A restaurant?...IMHO, about the worst idea. You come here, and this place has a LOT of flaws, but if you can just relax, you might make it sipping some drink on a beach that has no used diapers. If I had to work to survive...here?...wow, this country is full of people wanting to get the feck OUT of here, and work elsewhere, and we have some that need to work...here? :oMore power to you....I guess. There is one guy that works in the PI, james, that I can admire. He does what he enjoys, lives in a provincial area at peace with his one love, and doesn't expect to be rich. THAT, is imho...working here, and being happy. I guess if I opened up a gym, and taught some locals ...I can have fun and not call it work, as long as I was not looking to become rich. Whatever I guess....I always though foreigners opened up a business here to support the wife's family.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
I would never do a business here...that almost sounds silly to even have to post that declaration as in, really... but exactly what kind of money can you expect to make in this place?... and is it worth the headaches? A sari sari store? A piggery? Rent motorbikes? An internet cafe..haha. A restaurant?...IMHO, about the worst idea. You come here, and this place has a LOT of flaws, but if you can just relax, you might make it sipping some drink on a beach that has no used diapers. If I had to work to survive...here?...wow, this country is full of people wanting to get the feck OUT of here, and work elsewhere, and we have some that need to work...here? :oMore power to you....I guess. There is one guy that works in the PI, james, that I can admire. He does what he enjoys, lives in a provincial area at peace with his one love, and doesn't expect to be rich. THAT, is imho...working here, and being happy. I guess if I opened up a gym, and taught some locals ...I can have fun and not call it work, as long as I was not looking to become rich. Whatever I guess....I always though foreigners opened up a business here to support the wife's family.
I would never do a business here...that almost sounds silly to even have to post that declaration as in, really... but exactly what kind of money can you expect to make in this place?... and is it worth the headaches? A sari sari store? A piggery? Rent motorbikes? An internet cafe..haha. A restaurant?...IMHO, about the worst idea.
The Canvas restaurant at Ayala is owned by a foreigner and seems to be doing very well when I was there last.
Whatever I guess....I always thought foreigners opened up a business here to support the wife's family.
Not everyone who wants to live in the Philippines is rich,some need to make an income to live in the country of their choice. Personally I would do the same if I could.:D

Singers
Posted
Posted
I would never do a business here...that almost sounds silly to even have to post that declaration as in, really... but exactly what kind of money can you expect to make in this place?... and is it worth the headaches? A sari sari store? A piggery? Rent motorbikes? An internet cafe..haha. A restaurant?...IMHO, about the worst idea.
The Canvas restaurant at Ayala is owned by a foreigner and seems to be doing very well when I was there last.
Whatever I guess....I always thought foreigners opened up a business here to support the wife's family.
Not everyone who wants to live in the Philippines is rich,some need to make an income to live in the country of their choice. Personally I would do the same if I could.:D
Nah Boss Man,Make yer "crust" in Sunny QLD.If in need of a hobby you could start a Gang, The Chelmer's Charmers from Hood Street! He HE HE :gday:Tom :cheers:

Inspector
Posted
Posted
Just giving my opinion Tom. I simply would never consider the Philippines as a place to "make money". Can it be done?...oh, I am sure a few expats have done it. Would the red tape, the culture and lack of serious money versus hours/headaches be worth it to me? No...before I moved away from the USA, and was deciding upon what place my dollar would go the furthest, I almost bought a Quizno's in the Phoeniz area. I was going to make enough to live quite comfortably in the USA, but then after deciding upon my pension and not doing much versus the hours, I simply preferred the idea of living once, relaxing. If I HAD to work again, and with the economy of the world as it is, I certainly might have to, and am willing to hit the work force again, but again, this is my opinion, I would NOT do so here. Again, if you're in love with a pinay, and she from here...and don't have the funds to survive...I guess then you would be in the position to run a business. Any reason, if this is the case and you having a pinay wife or gf, why you would not take her back to Australia where I am certain your ability to make money is better?

Inspector
Posted
Posted

Oh, and as far as a restaurant business is concerned, my ex was in the field and is to this day, and trust me on this...they close down more then make it. Search the stats on failure vs success on this. Besides, the hours you need to put in even if you are the rare made it is silly. Again, years ago almost opened a brewery with a few others out on Long Island...I didn't, thankfully. The place went under. Of course there are those that make it, and make it well. To those I say, congrats. :thumbs-up-smile:

Mik
Posted
Posted

In my opinion, the Philippines is among the top places to live if you have a pension and can get by without additional income..

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
Not everyone who wants to live in the Philippines is rich,some need to make an income to live in the country of their choice. Personally I would do the same if I could.:cheersty:
Just giving my opinion Tom. I simply would never consider the Philippines as a place to "make money". Can it be done?...oh, I am sure a few expats have done it. Would the red tape, the culture and lack of serious money versus hours/headaches be worth it to me? No...before I moved away from the USA, and was deciding upon what place my dollar would go the furthest, I almost bought a Quizno's in the Phoeniz area. I was going to make enough to live quite comfortably in the USA, but then after deciding upon my pension and not doing much versus the hours, I simply preferred the idea of living once, relaxing. If I HAD to work again, and with the economy of the world as it is, I certainly might have to, and am willing to hit the work force again, but again, this is my opinion, I would NOT do so here. Again, if you're in love with a pinay, and she from here...and don't have the funds to survive...I guess then you would be in the position to run a business. Any reason, if this is the case and you having a pinay wife or gf, why you would not take her back to Australia where I am certain your ability to make money is better?
I have to respectfully disagree with a few things here,there are many foreigners who make a living in business while in living in the Philippines,some own resorts,internet cafes,hotels etc,now who knows what the make but I am sure many make an above average income.Lets put it in perspective,an above average income in the Philippines with a cheaper cost of living would be either better or at least equal to a high income in the states or where ever and a high cost of living.My point being is that for many an income and the chance to live in a country of their choice is better than the choice of battling year after year to make a living where they don't wish to be.For the average worker such as me with just a basic wage batting to make ends meet week after week year after year the prospect of a life in the Philippines sounds better,it gets to me that people who have money can easily say why don't you do this or do that but its so easy to say while people are watching their investments grow. I know that to have good investments or bank accounts, it either came from hard work,good financial management or even damn good luck but not everyone has that ability.The question that sometimes runs trough my head is why do people with money choose to live in the Philippines when they could have a more comfortable life in a first world country?Another thing with statistics for business or namely restaurants going under is that the risks are always there in business,many will remember the world financial crisis and how the big banks went down,that's why I don't own a bank,to risky :lol:

Singers
Posted
Posted (edited)

PI for me. :lol:

post-688-1275757891852_thumb.jpg

Edited by Singers