Balikbayan Box

TERENCE
Posted
Posted

HI GUYS DO U CONSIDER IT SAFE I SEND 50 INCH PLASMA AND 37 INCH LCD AND 32 INCH LCD TO PI IN BIG BALIKBAYAN BOXES, OR IS IT SAFER TO AIRFREIGHT. ANYONE KNOW APPROX COST OF AIR FREIGHT TO PI MANY THANKS FROM ENGLAND ILOVE THIS FORUM U GUYS ARE SO HELPFULL.

Singers
Posted
Posted
HI GUYS DO U CONSIDER IT SAFE I SEND 50 INCH PLASMA AND 37 INCH LCD AND 32 INCH LCD TO PI IN BIG BALIKBAYAN BOXES, OR IS IT SAFER TO AIRFREIGHT. ANYONE KNOW APPROX COST OF AIR FREIGHT TO PI MANY THANKS FROM ENGLAND ILOVE THIS FORUM U GUYS ARE SO HELPFULL.
Hi Tel,UK TV format is PAL.PI uses US NTSC format...Not directly compatible I am not certain as I bought my "family" TV in PI.My UK imported TV I use in PI with my UK DVD to play movies only.Sorry negative but YES Electronics are cheaper in UK.UK Tom

Inspector
Posted
Posted

I sent mine with no problem...I use http://www.manilaforwarder.com/ but this is USA based. No affiliation...but the owner is named Manny and a retired fil-am spec op soldier, so you will get a military discount if you share some war stories. Actually, of ALL things to complain about here, and there are so many things, I can honestly say that shipping Balikbayan Boxes has been quick, easy, cost effective and a great service...I shipped stuff I NEVER thought would make it. For example, I shipped free weight plates. Not boxed, from 2.5 pounds all the way to 8 100 pound plates. Manny put stickers on all the plates, each one...and then shipped them all for NOTHING. I figured at least a few would go "missing". To my surprise, EVERYTHING made it...and in good shape. Anyway, yes...from my personal experience, this is the best way to ship the TV. IMHO, just ship it in the original box with packing. You might have to pay a 10% electronic fee, I believe a little more if it is brand new. Still, a great deal. But listen to Tom about compatibility issues. They DO sell plasma televisions here, and while HD is nice, they do not have any channels in Hi-Def unless you are in Manila...where High Def buildings collapse. :lol:

love2winalot
Posted
Posted

Hiya: We sent our 62" flat screen TV here, from las Vegas, to the small village of Morong, almost 19 months ago. It cost $320. We used the local, "Philippino" company that sends boxes here each month to send it for us. It arrived within 40 days. It was and is OK. We bought the TV on sale at Circit city bankruptcy sale. Even with the shipping cost, it still cost almost 1/2 of the price if we were to try to buy the same size TV here.We used the original box. We opened it, and using 2x2 wood, i made a protective frame around the tv, and filled in the rest of the box with pillows/blankets/sheets/ect. We also send a $120 surge Protector. So you have....Wall outlet-------step down converter---------surge protector-----------TV.

• 4 weeks later...
MikeB
Posted
Posted

I will be shipping a 46in HDTV from US to PI after the 1st of the year. The box is narrow but way too long (53in) for a BB box, I believe. Weight is about 52lbs/23kgs. Will there be customs due on this, cost was $1,000US. I know there's another post on customs but not sure I understand all the ifs and buts.Anyone deal with this company: http://www.ipsparcel.com/? They have a pretty good BBB rating. Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks.

ancienrocka
Posted
Posted (edited)
I bought a Samsung flat screen in Australia just before I migrated here. Australia uses the PAL system the same as the UK. Samsung told me that my TV would not work here so I sold it and bought locally.My advice is to check out the compatibility with the manufacturer before shipping.Paul Edited by ancienrocka

MikeB
Posted
Posted
I bought a Samsung flat screen in Australia just before I migrated here. Australia uses the PAL system the same as the UK. Samsung told me that my TV would not work here so I sold it and bought locally.My advice is to check out the compatibility with the manufacturer before shipping.Paul
Good point. US (North America) and PI use NTSC:http://en.wikipedia....-NTSC-SECAM.svg

Jake
Posted
Posted
I bought a Samsung flat screen in Australia just before I migrated here. Australia uses the PAL system the same as the UK. Samsung told me that my TV would not work here so I sold it and bought locally.My advice is to check out the compatibility with the manufacturer before shipping.Paul
Good point. US (North America) and PI use NTSC:http://en.wikipedia....-NTSC-SECAM.svg
Hey MikeB,I guess we both have to hit up on Inspector and Love2winalot for more information regarding shipment of large LCD TV's. I'm also concerned about customs duties and safe arrival to destination. As far asshipment companies, there are a few based in Los Angeles so I need to start calling them. I hope youhave luck finding one in Florida.Respectfully -- Jake

oldutot
Posted
Posted

Hey Jake, u might want to give this company a call http://www.atlasshippers.com/manilaoperations.php I have not used them, but my understanding they are opening a office in Seattle

Travis
Posted
Posted

I used forex but they probably were not the least expensive but I did like the ability to track my boxes http://www.forexworld.us/v3/OfficeLocator.aspx