Our Differences

UZI
Posted
Posted
Uzi, pretty spot on with most of it. 1) Opinion........ All too true. 2) Way of Life..... Totally. 3) Punctuality.... Oh yeah. 4) Contacts.... What's this about?5) Anger.... I just assume people are angry at me now.6) Queue When Waiting... Never thought I'd shoulder an old person, but...7) Sundays on the Road.... Not sure I agree. I think Western people pack in the mall as well, but there're just more people in Asia. Even mountain trails can get crowded, but I don't anyone wants it. 8) Party... While we definitely head out with our group, Westerners are more prone to spread out and party with strangers IMO at home or abroad. Interfering with strangers in Asia while drinking can be bad for your health. The CEO thing is truer in richer circles or Asian countries, but doubt it applies to 80% of Filipinos.9) In the Restaurant... depends on what you're drinking. Westerners get loud when they drink, too. I think it comes back down to population. Asians are used to loud, crowded, noisy surroundings, so don't worry about their volume in a restaurant. But at the same time, foreigners are always getting "HUSHED" on the subway here in Korea, lol. It's usually met with a finger. 10) Traveling... Disagree with the angle that Asians don't appreciate the scenery. Being trigger happy on the camera doesn't make you less in tune with the beautiful surroundings. Sometimes it helps you to appreciate it more. The bottom line is, at least they're getting out there. 11) Handling of Problems... This is a tricky one. Sometimes it's frustrating dealing with Asian culture here because a lot of simple solutions to us either don't occur or aren't really appealing to them. My wife and I fight about these things a lot. It's preference maybe. But sometimes Western culture is too by the book and stringent. I love the fact that in Asia I can bend these never-ending-bending rules almost anytime I push hard enough. In Canada, not a chance. If Asians took such a hard-line approach to rules like Canadians, I would never have survived out here! lol12) Three Meals a Day... More generational than cultural. My family, coming from a rural life, had 3 big meals a day. Me, coming from Gen-X, can survive on junk food and diabetes, lol. Don't forget, this is also socio-economic as many Filipinos can't afford more than one or two meager meals a day. 13) Transportation... A lot of Westerners are increasingly environmentally minded and cycle or cut back on oil consumption by other means. But let's not forget who started the car revolution and continues to push for SUV's and heavy duty trucks even when living in the city. And the public transportation systems even - or especially - in rich Asian countries are amazingly more efficient than their western counterparts. 14) Elderly in day-to-day life... True. Asia's a lot more family oriented, with or without the grandkids to babysit. They also control a lot of money or land that the children are eagerly awaiting, so they have a bit more power, and aren't always shy to use it. 15) Moods and Weather.... Don't see it as very cultural. They may have traditional beliefs about the weather, but most people have their own preference. 16) The Boss... probably, yup.17) What's trendy.... True, but Westerners have an easier time living full time on an Asian diet than vice-versa. 18) The Kid.... True enough. Westerners don't want their children taking care of them when they're older. Asians realize they're probably gonna be dependent on them some day. So the connections are very different. Take care of them so they can take care of you VS let them take care of themselves and I'll be fine. For the sake of PC..... IMO... lol.... rsp..... sto... krs1
:th_thanx: ...Some very good observations there too. Interesting the differences you note in Korea also. Loved answer 6 and 17 was pretty spot on. .............IMHO :540: 2245_safe.gifUzi

UZI
Posted
Posted
Uzi, pretty spot on with most of it. 1) Opinion........ All too true. 2) Way of Life..... Totally. 3) Punctuality.... Oh yeah. 4) Contacts.... What's this about?5) Anger.... I just assume people are angry at me now.6) Queue When Waiting... Never thought I'd shoulder an old person, but...7) Sundays on the Road.... Not sure I agree. I think Western people pack in the mall as well, but there're just more people in Asia. Even mountain trails can get crowded, but I don't anyone wants it. 8) Party... While we definitely head out with our group, Westerners are more prone to spread out and party with strangers IMO at home or abroad. Interfering with strangers in Asia while drinking can be bad for your health. The CEO thing is truer in richer circles or Asian countries, but doubt it applies to 80% of Filipinos.9) In the Restaurant... depends on what you're drinking. Westerners get loud when they drink, too. I think it comes back down to population. Asians are used to loud, crowded, noisy surroundings, so don't worry about their volume in a restaurant. But at the same time, foreigners are always getting "HUSHED" on the subway here in Korea, lol. It's usually met with a finger. 10) Traveling... Disagree with the angle that Asians don't appreciate the scenery. Being trigger happy on the camera doesn't make you less in tune with the beautiful surroundings. Sometimes it helps you to appreciate it more. The bottom line is, at least they're getting out there. 11) Handling of Problems... This is a tricky one. Sometimes it's frustrating dealing with Asian culture here because a lot of simple solutions to us either don't occur or aren't really appealing to them. My wife and I fight about these things a lot. It's preference maybe. But sometimes Western culture is too by the book and stringent. I love the fact that in Asia I can bend these never-ending-bending rules almost anytime I push hard enough. In Canada, not a chance. If Asians took such a hard-line approach to rules like Canadians, I would never have survived out here! lol12) Three Meals a Day... More generational than cultural. My family, coming from a rural life, had 3 big meals a day. Me, coming from Gen-X, can survive on junk food and diabetes, lol. Don't forget, this is also socio-economic as many Filipinos can't afford more than one or two meager meals a day. 13) Transportation... A lot of Westerners are increasingly environmentally minded and cycle or cut back on oil consumption by other means. But let's not forget who started the car revolution and continues to push for SUV's and heavy duty trucks even when living in the city. And the public transportation systems even - or especially - in rich Asian countries are amazingly more efficient than their western counterparts. 14) Elderly in day-to-day life... True. Asia's a lot more family oriented, with or without the grandkids to babysit. They also control a lot of money or land that the children are eagerly awaiting, so they have a bit more power, and aren't always shy to use it. 15) Moods and Weather.... Don't see it as very cultural. They may have traditional beliefs about the weather, but most people have their own preference. 16) The Boss... probably, yup.17) What's trendy.... True, but Westerners have an easier time living full time on an Asian diet than vice-versa. 18) The Kid.... True enough. Westerners don't want their children taking care of them when they're older. Asians realize they're probably gonna be dependent on them some day. So the connections are very different. Take care of them so they can take care of you VS let them take care of themselves and I'll be fine. For the sake of PC..... IMO... lol.... rsp..... sto... krs1
:th_signs027: ...Some very good observations there too. Interesting the differences you note in Korea also. Loved answer 6 and 17 was pretty spot on. .............IMHO :565: 2245_safe.gifUzi
Just came across this. My wife was ROTFLHAO :cheersty:.Very funny guy but he is definitely a Pinoy singer - ARAYhttp://www.youtube.c...ayer_embedded#!