No Plans To Shelve Sex-Ed

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

No plans to shelve sex-ed program, says government of PhilippinesI think we can discuss this topic here as its about education in the Philippines,personally I feel its the best thing for the Philippines.Its time to move into the future and make children aware of life rather than being kept in the dark resulting in an exploding population that can not support its self.The church is the blame for poverty and holding onto such an ancient belief as to contraception and lack of sex eduction for the whole population.To me its about power and money,that's how big organizations operate such as churches,its to do with keeping the little people in a certain place and not about faith.I will probably be shot for some of what I said but thats my opinion and I am sticking to it.Good on the government for moving forward and educating the people. :)http://www.catholicc...fm?storyid=6740Story....Countering reports that had circulated earlier this week, the government of the Philippines has announced that it will not stop implementation of a controversial sex-education program in the schools. Education Secretary Mona Valisno, who had said that her department would delay a final decision on the pilot program to allow for consultations with Catholic Church leaders, has now said that the program will go forward. While the curriculum could be modified and public comments are welcome, she claimed, “I never said anything about stopping it.” The education department faces a class-action suit, brought by parents with the backing of the Catholic hierarchy, seeking a halt to the pilot program. The plaintiffs charge that the sex-ed curriculum violates parents’ rights and contains material inappropriate for young students. The government has rejected those arguments. “There is nothing immoral about the program,” argued assistant solicitor general Renan Ramos in an appeal for the court to dismiss the suit.

Travis
Posted
Posted
No plans to shelve sex-ed program, says government of PhilippinesI think we can discuss this topic here as its about education in the Philippines,personally I feel its the best thing for the Philippines.Its time to move into the future and make children aware of life rather than being kept in the dark resulting in an exploding population that can not support its self.The church is the blame for poverty and holding onto such an ancient belief as to contraception and lack of sex eduction for the whole population.To me its about power and money,that's how big organizations operate such as churches,its to do with keeping the little people in a certain place and not about faith.I will probably be shot for some of what I said but thats my opinion and I am sticking to it.Good on the government for moving forward and educating the people. AddEmoticons04230.gifhttp://www.catholicc...fm?storyid=6740Story....Countering reports that had circulated earlier this week, the government of the Philippines has announced that it will not stop implementation of a controversial sex-education program in the schools. Education Secretary Mona Valisno, who had said that her department would delay a final decision on the pilot program to allow for consultations with Catholic Church leaders, has now said that the program will go forward. While the curriculum could be modified and public comments are welcome, she claimed, “I never said anything about stopping it.” The education department faces a class-action suit, brought by parents with the backing of the Catholic hierarchy, seeking a halt to the pilot program. The plaintiffs charge that the sex-ed curriculum violates parents’ rights and contains material inappropriate for young students. The government has rejected those arguments. “There is nothing immoral about the program,” argued assistant solicitor general Renan Ramos in an appeal for the court to dismiss the suit.
thumbs-up-smile.gif cutting down the exploding population will eventually cut the poverty imo so I am all for sex education teaching the kids how to not get preg

MikeB
Posted
Posted

Overpopulation is at the core of practically every major problem in the Philippines; contributing to high unemployment, hopelessness, crime, and the vicious cycle of poverty from generation to generation. The church imposes it's beliefs on the state and the cycle continues. Education is the key; the program is a good thing, long overdue, and will eventually make things better (if they keep it).

• 4 weeks later...
siamesecat64
Posted
Posted

In general I agree about education and knowledge as a good way to improve everyday life.On the issue, I think you three (Boss Man, Traveler and MikeB) are not Roman Chatolic like the vast majority of The Philippines population is. I myself as Italian and obviously Roman Chatolic as well, can better understand the conflict is going on in the conservative parent minds. Probably you are right speaking about manipulation, power and so on, but in my opinion, if you freely choose a Religion or anyway you are grown in it, you should stick to it and its rules and "dogmas". It is like life, you can not respect only the rules you agree with or the ones that are good for your interests and disrespect all the others. It is a principle of democracy, if you disagree with a law you keep respecting it while working in order to change / abrogate it.As general rule, imposition is NOT a good way to solve problems, diplomacy is. The solutions, could be, in a country where the Church is so whidely respected and followed, madiate with it in order to convince them to allow, at least, "freedom of conscience" on that particular issue; that, I agree, is fundamental for the future of the whole nation. I wonder, what the position of the Muslims in the South (Mindanao island) is...?P.S. I do not agree the Church is the one to blame for poverty, there are plenty of examples of Religious Organizations and single priests that are helping the poors... I think Economical and Political interests are more guilty to keep the popolation down, not only in the Philippines, but all over the world.

Sampaguita
Posted
Posted
In general I agree about education and knowledge as a good way to improve everyday life.On the issue, I think you three (Boss Man, Traveler and MikeB) are not Roman Chatolic like the vast majority of The Philippines population is. I myself as Italian and obviously Roman Chatolic as well, can better understand the conflict is going on in the conservative parent minds. Probably you are right speaking about manipulation, power and so on, but in my opinion, if you freely choose a Religion or anyway you are grown in it, you should stick to it and its rules and "dogmas". It is like life, you can not respect only the rules you agree with or the ones that are good for your interests and disrespect all the others. It is a principle of democracy, if you disagree with a law you keep respecting it while working in order to change / abrogate it.As general rule, imposition is NOT a good way to solve problems, diplomacy is. The solutions, could be, in a country where the Church is so whidely respected and followed, madiate with it in order to convince them to allow, at least, "freedom of conscience" on that particular issue; that, I agree, is fundamental for the future of the whole nation. I wonder, what the position of the Muslims in the South (Mindanao island) is...?P.S. I do not agree the Church is the one to blame for poverty, there are plenty of examples of Religious Organizations and single priests that are helping the poors... I think Economical and Political interests are more guilty to keep the popolation down, not only in the Philippines, but all over the world.
I cannot speak as to the religion of the others you have listed but I will speak for myself an educated Filipino who is Catholic and has had the opportunity to live outside the Philippines for the last 16 years. It is my opinion that the Catholic church needs to move its thinking into todays world. Birth control is necessary to help families cope with their poverty and sex education is extremely important because most of what poor Filipinos learn about sex is from trial and error and the little bit they learn from others which may or may not be correct information. The Catholic church has not changed their stance, yet times and life has changed and poverty has not improved in my country and appears it is becoming more wide spread instead. 

MikeB
Posted
Posted

I was born and raised Roman Catholic but gave it up long ago. I agree with what Sampaguita wrote. In 1987 the population of the Philippines was 55 million. The current population is estimated to be 92 million and is predicted to be 110 million by 2015. A 100% increase in 28 years and continues to grow at about 2% per year; most born to those who can least afford them. Too many people, far too few resources. This program and the RH bill are long overdue and are big steps in the right direction. If they had started sex-ed 30 years ago the country (and many others) would be in far better shape.

• 2 weeks later...
tropicalwaste
Posted
Posted

Thing is though the Church is also aware that losing the Sex Education argument loses them a lot of power and control.. Religion feeds on poverty :-Mother Teresa sees poverty as a kind of richness --and richness as impoverishment -- as she cares for the dying and unwanted of Calcutta Death brings people closer to god.. words from one of the biggest religious figure heads in recent history.What I will say though once the gates of sexual education open I wonder how much other things will change as people start to not only question sex education. Education itself should improve as splitting budgets to pay for kids would reduce giving opportunity for better education. As per head of family the funds would have improved at the same time quality of life would improve right across the board..

ekimswish
Posted
Posted

How's this for a can of worms: they need to provide legal, safe, and affordable access to abortion for those who want or need it. It probably won't happen anytime soon, if ever, but it'd be nice. I'm not saying abortion is nice, condoms are better, but legal and safe abortion is better than illegal and dirty abortions that they attempt to have anyways.

Mik
Posted
Posted

What's wrong with traditional sex ed like in the old days? You know, whatever you learn here and there in the neighborhood or in church? No need for the government to get involved in everything, especially personal intimate matters. The elite would put themselves in place of God..

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
What's wrong with traditional sex ed like in the old days? You know, whatever you learn here and there in the neighborhood or in church? No need for the government to get involved in everything, especially personal intimate matters. The elite would put themselves in place of God..
Sex ed is more about preventing un wanted pregnancy's and to prevent the spread of disease not how to do the deed. Many Filipinos lack any knowledge of these things therefor I believe it is an education needed by the younger Filipinos.