Is Your Acr Card Valid If You Leave Rp?

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

It is a obvious fact to anyone who has had to deal with any government office or officials in the Philippines, that the law may be interpreted whichever way the particular person feels like interpreting it, so all are urged to use caution and know that no matter what any of us tell you, we can only speak from our own personal experiences and read the law and hope that people follow the law, but full well knowing that is can change depending on how the wind is blowing that day or what side of the bed the official woke up on. Some officials can be lazy and others can be over zealous and all any of us can do is to prepare for the worst and hope for the best.   I agree that the law is the law and until I see it written somewhere else with an amendment then I would expect that the law shall be followed. If someone is lucky enough to not have their card taken upon leaving the country, then more power to them.Topic closed except if Paul wishes to update us on his personal experiences on this topic or if someone else who has actually had experience wishes to post their personal experiences.   

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
13a and 13g permanent resident visa holders, yes hang on to your ACR I-CARDs, it's used as your exit and reentry permit in case you want to go on vacation outside of the Philippines! Tourist visa holders just on 59 day extensions or more and are leaving the Philippines and not planing on returning anytime soon within the expiration of their ACR I-CARDs, they have to surrender their ACR I-CARDs to immigration officials at the airport prior to their departure! MEMORANDUM ORDER NO. MCL-09-027
That was the initial ruling and I have been advising my clients on this basis until yesterday - it seems that the ruling has been modified.I know of many people who have not been asked for their Temporary ACR card on leaving the country and yesterday was proof for me that it is still useful on re-entry as long as your absence is not longer than 59 days.Note to oneself - I must change the advice on my website!!!!!!!paul
There's no confusion what the memorandum says! I didn't make it up! We all know that permanent residents are different from tourists! Immigrations officials just aren't following the guidelines! Good for those if immigrations officials aren't taking their ACR I-CARDS at the airport for those departing tourists as long they are returning immediately to the Philippines prior to their ACR I-CARD's expiration! If not staying or returning to the Philippines, they just surrender the ACR I-CARD prior to their departure, it's just that plain and simple! It takes less than an arm chair expert to read the memorandum! There's no confusion here, people can read for themselves!
Seems that one member here needs to learn some etiquette on using forums & stop talking down to other (more knowledgeable) members. Paul knows more about the IMPLEMENTING of visas than someone who's only knowledge comes from copying what is on other websites. Show some respect. Yes we can read, just do as you do & go to the BI website. Paul on the other hand uses EXPERIENCE. Yes members here will read this thread & know who's advise to follow. Thanks for the useful info Paul. Uzi.
Seems that one member here needs to learn some etiquette on using forums & stop talking down to other (more knowledgeable) members. Paul knows more about the IMPLEMENTING of visas than someone who's only knowledge comes from copying what is on other websites. Show some respect.
Perhaps more than just one member if you get my gist.

ancienrocka
Posted
Posted (edited)

I am just surprised that my honest attempt to help has turned into a bun fight.I trained as a lawyer and one of the first lessons we learned after studying the law for 3 years and started to practise was that the interpretation of the law is more important than the actual statute/rule.Throughout history the law has been subtly changed by both judges, the law enforcement agencies and bureaucrats in an attempt to better administer the intentions of the legislature when drafting the statute/rule.I was just reporting on the actual situation as I experienced it - if anyone insists on complying with the letter of the law and offering up their temporary ACR card and paying $50 for a new one, that is up to them.

Edited by ancienrocka

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
I am just surprised that my honest attempt to help has turned into a bun fight.I trained as a lawyer  and one of the first lessons we learned after studying the law for 3 years and started to practise was that the interpretation of the law is more important than the actual statute/rule.Throughout history the law has been subtly changed by both judges, the law enforcement agencies and bureaucrats in an attempt to better administer the intentions of the legislature when drafting the statute/rule.I was just reporting on the actual situation as I experienced it - if anyone insists on complying with the letter of the law and offering up their temporary ACR card and paying $50 for a new one, that is up to them.
I do not feel that anyone has to offer their ACR card but if asked for it they should not refuse because of a post on here or anywhere else that says they do not have to turn it in. I think we all know how a official will act if we put their back against the wall, and it will not be pretty.  The law is clear and no law has been written yet that I know of that says otherwise, so while it is my opinion that a person should try to do as you say, it is also my opinion that they should not be dumb enough to argue with any official who asks them to turn in their ACR card just because a post on here says they do not have to turn it in. If the rules are now as you say they are, and I am sure you know what you are talking about, then I am sure the government of the Philippines will eventually write up an addendum but until they do, everyone should follow the law if asked to do so, or possibly suffer the consequences of refusal, and possibly end up banned from reentering the Philippines for life, because even when the BI officers may be wrong in how he or she applies the law, those personnel are always right until proven otherwise in a court of law.