Who Can You Trust & Why Do Locals Make Remarks

UZI
Posted
Posted
The Kano price isn't theft, its business. If a US car dealer thinks you'll pay sticker, he'll let you. You're expected to ask for a lower price. If you don't like the price, don't pay it. Its only theft when they sell you water when you paid for beer, etc. I don't really like to haggle so if I pay more its not their fault. Where I live though, its just not an issue.I haven't had anyone try to scam me since I've been here. Well unless you count the flirting Filipina that acts like she'll meet my every wish but wont give me nothing. That's not a scam, that would just be me being stupid for falling for it. i have seen that though. For me, that's it.
:th_interesting: :as-if:Well said Rusty. Your experience is the same as mine. I was just quoted P110,000 for our kitchen cabinets which was ok but I haggled & got it down to P95,000. You are expected to haggle in ASIA not just here. If you don't then the seller is VERY happy but it isn't theft.Some people seem to be life's victims and are always complaining about being cheated & ripped off. I have been here in the Philippines for 4 years & can't point to a single case of being ripped off (I probably have paid over the odds at the wet market at times) in dealings with City Hall, PNP, BI, contractors etc.I even asked my wife about any comments from Trikes etc and trust me she would tell me (probably kick their ass too) if there were any nasty ones & she said no. She has heard comments about foreigners not being circumcised though.So my question is - 'is this an attitude thing'? Are you attracting this treatment by your actions, way of talking (American accent to anti American Pinoys perhaps?), showing off, acting superior/arrogant (I have even heard FilAms referring to locals as 'these Filipino's') sorry but perhaps age difference with your wife - you would get a reaction in ANY country. As for family, well let's just say that we owe them more than the other way around.Now we live in Cebu let's see if this changes. So far, definitely no with buying the house, renovating it, dealing with City Hall etc but early days.For Lee, please place IMO, in my experience etc in any relevant place. :thumbsup:Uzi
It was written in your opinion and from experiences, so you did fine on your own and surely do not need me :as-if: and maybe I use IMO too often but I am always trying to be politically correct and not offend anyone if at all possible, since I tend to offend at times without even trying. :agree:
Lee,The comment was for members to place IMO etc where needed as per your request to talk from that POV hence the :agree:. So nothing personal & you are of course correct that I don't need your help in writing a post 1%20%28235%29.gif23_11_60[2].gif36_1_68[1].gifUzi

tropicalwaste
Posted
Posted

Thing is many of the complaints that are listed are relative to any big city in the world ever been to London or Paris?? Overpriced taxis due to taking the "long route" as they know your a foreigner.. or maybe its the overpriced souviners that are in any holiday resort the world over?? same as drinks...The truth of the matter is people generally will rip each other off and I see it all the time in the UK where things like "white" friends in the construction trade will overcharge Pakistani migrants due to not trusting them so they will often charge 3 x the usual rate where the deposit already covers the job.What the problem is in the Philippines though is these roles are reversed and its also your retirement or Paradise location so dont want to have all this crap.. Solution I found is doing most of the things myself and not being so easy going. I do have some close Filipino friends and Expat's in the last 3 years I have seen more expats rip off other expats for bigger money than I have Filipino's so it does make me wonder on the quality of a lot of people coming to the Philippines aswell.