Lifestyle Changes?

ekimswish
Posted
Posted

I was just wondering how many of you started to lead a different life, for better or worse, once you moved to the Phils? For example, my own Disney World fantasy of the Philippines has me surfing, scuba diving, playing basketball, working out, relaxing, hiking, drinking rum in a cool (or warm) evening breeze on my porch, etc. Yeah, yeah, I know it's unrealistic that I'd do all of those things all the time. It's just a rough draft of my wish list; must be worked into the realm of possibility. In reality, probably not much will change, though I hope it does. But how many of you picked up hobbies in the Philippines you didn't have back home, sports or other? Or, how many of you dropped fun things you used to do, and wish you didn't have to, like hunting? Twist the question however you want. I'm just interested in did things change or stay the same? On top of all that, I grew up in a landlocked part of Canada and have always dreamed of living near the water. Has that had an impact on you, in terms of how often you might relax at the beach, go for a swim, or get into water hobbies, like fishing or sailing?

Travis
Posted
Posted
I was just wondering how many of you started to lead a different life, for better or worse, once you moved to the Phils? For example, my own Disney World fantasy of the Philippines has me surfing, scuba diving, playing basketball, working out, relaxing, hiking, drinking rum in a cool (or warm) evening breeze on my porch, etc. Yeah, yeah, I know it's unrealistic that I'd do all of those things all the time. It's just a rough draft of my wish list; must be worked into the realm of possibility. In reality, probably not much will change, though I hope it does. But how many of you picked up hobbies in the Philippines you didn't have back home, sports or other? Or, how many of you dropped fun things you used to do, and wish you didn't have to, like hunting? Twist the question however you want. I'm just interested in did things change or stay the same? On top of all that, I grew up in a landlocked part of Canada and have always dreamed of living near the water. Has that had an impact on you, in terms of how often you might relax at the beach, go for a swim, or get into water hobbies, like fishing or sailing?
I do about the same things I did while living in the US but I do get out & walk the malls more often here coz taxis & jeepneys are so cheap to go to the mall from where I live. otherwise life here is about the same for me except I do like sitting out on my balcony drinking my morning coffee or cool evening drinks while surfing the net like I am doing now before bed bedtime2.gif

Jake
Posted
Posted
Hello Ekimswish,Another good subject to get members to post their fantasies in the Philippines. Althoughsome of my ideas are beyond PG rating in the open forum he, he.....My sport hobbies both here in southern CA and the Philippines were basically anything in the water. Body surfing off San Miguel (north of Olongapo City), windsurfing off Caviteand Puerto Galera, Mindoro. And Hobie Cat sailing in Taal Lake, Batangas. Can't wait tofind some tennis courts in Santa Rosa (south of Makati) to hit with my buddy Pinoy Art.And finally, muff diving on a tropical beach. While in the US Navy, I had great opportunitiesto dive in Panama Canal, Suez Canal and the Birth Canal..... DOM forever -- Jake

joeatmanila
Posted
Posted

Yes i did,Went in to photography. Met a really nice group of photo enthusiasts (all filipino) and they really grew this passion in me the last 2 years now.Plus i go more in to nature trips and have reduced boredom.

ekimswish
Posted
Posted
Yes i did,Went in to photography. Met a really nice group of photo enthusiasts (all filipino) and they really grew this passion in me the last 2 years now.Plus i go more in to nature trips and have reduced boredom.
Here's a great photoblog I found mostly related to Leyte, but makes its way around the Philippines.http://gerryruiz.wordpress.com/

ekimswish
Posted
Posted
Hello Ekimswish,Another good subject to get members to post their fantasies in the Philippines. Althoughsome of my ideas are beyond PG rating in the open forum he, he.....My sport hobbies both here in southern CA and the Philippines were basically anything in the water. Body surfing off San Miguel (north of Olongapo City), windsurfing off Caviteand Puerto Galera, Mindoro. And Hobie Cat sailing in Taal Lake, Batangas. Can't wait tofind some tennis courts in Santa Rosa (south of Makati) to hit with my buddy Pinoy Art.And finally, muff diving on a tropical beach. While in the US Navy, I had great opportunitiesto dive in Panama Canal, Suez Canal and the Birth Canal..... DOM forever -- Jake
What is muff diving? I'm assuming you ain't pullin' my leg, so I searched on google, but even wikipedia won't save me this time.

Jake
Posted
Posted
What is muff diving? I'm assuming you ain't pullin' my leg, so I searched on google, but even wikipedia won't save me this time.
Guilty as charged sir -- it is in reference to the last Canal I visited he, he.......Jake

Inspector
Posted
Posted

Well, I was hoping for more hanging on the beach....but to be brutally honest, they were disgusting in Cebu. Not much soft sand to blanket down and the garbage was unbearable wading in the water. I've tried a few public pools, and the chlorine levels they use are not quite at proper levels to say the least....my eyes so red when I get out I have an urge to listen to Bob Marley songs. I guess they use so much because of the urine levels from the thousand kids. Let's just say that taking a vacation in Boracay is NOT like living in the Philippines as far as the pina colada lifestyle. Of course, if you do find that spot, you will be losing out on the conveniences of the city.... such as malls, western style food and cheap cabs. However, for me....it's been better then I expected being somebody who used to hang around in the wild subic bay during the navy era. I am getting used to the loudness, the 3 million people that live on my block all wanting to know me...I will never however get used to the garbage or the fact any foreigner I see not known to me I suspect is a perverted overage sex pat that exploits the poorness of the country to lure woman at best, pedo at worst. I feel far more comfortable in subic bay, where there are many retired military married. Once I return, I will need to get into a gated community and have strict orders of nobody allowed in unless I give a direct order saying it is ok, as the WORST aspect of the Philippines IMHO, BY FAR, is the wife/gf's family....that trade off of having a younger pretty caring old fashioned type woman is worth it if you are not hounded 20 times a day for a few pesos for an extended family that exceeds 500. It is no wonder I see pinays having nervous breakdowns from their own families, weather it's an OFW or foreigner relationship. The begging is amazing to witness from families. So, lifestyle change is avoiding the in laws, which come to think of it, was also something I attempted with my ex wife in the states. :whistling:

MikeB
Posted
Posted
Lots of good diving in the PI, one of the best in the world for clams I've heard.

ekimswish
Posted
Posted
Lots of good diving in the PI, one of the best in the world for clams I've heard.
Is this another sexual reference?! lol... Jake has corrupted my young mind. NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!