Tiping

Mike S
Posted
Posted
Yes and I would continue to do the same in fact it has ..... flag down rate for taxis went from 30p to 40p and I still give a tip ...... most of the rate when to cab owners and not to the drivers ...... I don't understand why tipping would make you feel special ..... in fact to be honest I really don't think about it at all when I do it ..... but that is me and I'm sure your thoughts are reflecting in the deeds of some ..... along with the idea that some may feel they are better than the person they are tipping ...... I'm sure there are all kinds of reasons I'm just expressing my own and how I feel about it ..... oh and I better add I don't feel that tipping is automatic nor do I tip ALL the time ..... :hystery:
We feel the same way! :thumbsup:What I don't like is when a gratuity is automatically added to the bill as some places in Philippines do today.
Yup OLD55 you are right a terrible practice to come across the great pond... and this is ONE of those instances where it is much worse in the US and just about every establishment does it ...... while I know some will argue that things are much better in the US ...... I seem to remember that that's the way it was ..... but for some ungodly reason things have gotten 200% better and the prices are 200% cheaper there sense I've been gone ..... so it must have been my fault ...... :hystery: .... :hystery:

jode
Posted
Posted

As an American it is nice to be considered one of a generous people. We got that habit mostly out of fear of what surly waiters and waitresses would do to us back home if we didn't,, as it is most of their wages. Its nice to be in a country now that a tip that would be considered cheap in USA is considered very generous here.Some get no tip from me if service is bad. I have even paid taxi drivers less than the meter when they have screwed up my ride.It is my opinion that two things are needed to be a taxi driver. 1) to be a good driver 2) to know where things are in the city. So many seem to barely pass the first requirenment and flunk miserably the second. I am sick of having to give detailed directions to cab drivers to get to a place they should know like a hotel. Hey I am the foreigner here.If we drive around for an extra 10 or 15 minutes looking for a place they should know then of course they get no tip and lucky to get the metered ammount.I gave my barber a 50 peso tip for a 50 peso hairccut because of the elaborate and careful service as detailed by the inspector in earlier post.. Thats the the least i could do for the relief of leaving $12 ten minute haircuts behind in USA

jode
Posted
Posted

Don't forget to take a moment to check over the details of the bill u receive. At a restaraunt for instance some will add a "service charge". That to me is the tip and nothing additional is given. It is also a consideration for return patronage as I think it is rude for them to add any charges not disclosed plainly in advance. Also it is my experience that about one in 3 or 4 bills u recieve will have mistakes in their favor. I hate to have to pore over a bill especially in poor light conditions. it makes one feel kinda cheap. However in the Philippines if you want better control of your budget it is a good idea to do so.

• Like 4

i am bob
Posted
Posted
Don't forget to take a moment to check over the details of the bill u receive. At a restaraunt for instance some will add a "service charge". That to me is the tip and nothing additional is given. It is also a consideration for return patronage as I think it is rude for them to add any charges not disclosed plainly in advance. Also it is my experience that about one in 3 or 4 bills u recieve will have mistakes in their favor. I hate to have to pore over a bill especially in poor light conditions. it makes one feel kinda cheap. However in the Philippines if you want better control of your budget it is a good idea to do so.
Hmmm... After a few times around the world, I can honestly say it is like this in almost every country - if you look or sound like a tourist! (Though I will admit that some countries have this tradition (poor math skills) in an endemic manner!) Best thing to do is NOT sound like a tourist and always check your bill!!! Sometimes it's easy to spot though... In Bermuda I once had a bill where 2 beer and 2 sandwhichs came to $505 instead of the $10 it should have been.
  • Like 1

• 5 months later...
Call me bubba
Posted
Posted

Tip when the service is worth it,

remember what the wage is here.

So if tip 20-30P that would be about 10% of the daily wage.

for me taxis, I round up if its 72 then I pay 80, if the service or driver has a good attitude 85p

haircuts, if its 50/70 I add about 15/20. as they do the extra "scalp"masage

massage. of what i have learned the girls usually earn 250-350 a day or less, or about 50p per customer.

So i try to tip at least 30p for hour 50p for 1 1/2 hr, if the massage was really good,I dont mean ( :nudie: )

but very relaxing or does a warm towel clean-up of the excess oil the 40p/ 60p usually more

As i said before the girls dont earn that much & not every customer does tip.

For those who was younger and did work in the service industry. ..Tip on what you feel is appropriate

• Like 3

• 2 months later...
Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
I tipped 100% of the total bills to a very nice waiter to told him to buy something for his family for Christmas -

Whenever I have even suggested doing something like that, my wife has suggested we have our own family members who would like something nice for Christmas and we cannot do it all.

• Like 2

brock
Posted
Posted

If I am in the same place all night and get good service then I will give 100p.

Bad service, Then I am not in that place very long,And no tip.

• Like 2

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
I remember one Christmas eve, I tipped 100% of the total bills to a very nice waiter to told him to buy something for his family for Christmas --- he got teary-eyed, and I got the double feeling of happiness

There was a trend back in the U.S. to do a simple thing for a stranger, so people in line at a fast food drive through would pay for the car in line behind them when they were at the cashier's window. A nice unexpected surprise for the car behind.

Here is a story about tipping that is quite nice. Maybe it was posted before.

http://metronews.ca/news/world/295173/video-family-leaves-500-tip-to-fulfill-mans-final-wish/

The story kept going and the family is still handing out the tips! Search for his name to find more.

• Like 3