It's Okay If No One's Hurt

ekimswish
Posted
Posted

So my 12-year old step-daughter got robbed Sunday night by two guys on a scooter. I guess they pulled up beside her and she tried to get away. One of them grabbed her wrist and she started fighting back, ripping his shirt, punching and kicking him. He seemed too concerned with ruining his shades to defend himself, and she broke free. Her friend's father, a police or army guy, was driving nearby and saw it happen. He called her into his vehicle and they tried to chase the guys on the scooter, who got away. He took her back to our house and called the police to make a report. Luckily, the robbers got in an accident a few blocks away and the police caught them, one of them in really bad shape, broken bones, popped out eye, and stuff like that. The police brought the robber who was in less serious condition to the house, where my step-daughter identified him. Then the guy has the nerve to say that since he didn't get anything, and she's not harmed, he could go free. The police, though, have been after these guys for a while, so they told her to change her story, and borrowed her cell phone to say that the guys successfully robbed it from her. They had knives and other stolen goods on them, but no one else had pressed charges (couldn't afford?). So the robber's family was complaining to her that since she's okay, it's not worth charging him, and nothing bad happened anyway. WTF?! Of course they would say that, being the family, but somehow I get the notion that they believe it. On top of their family thinking nothing bad happened, and the police messing with evidence and her story, they apparently beat the kid (24) up as well. Is it wrong of me to be happy for this kind of street justice in the police department? Without the changing of the story and evidence, the guy would be back on the street robbing people still. This wasn't his first time, and wouldn't be his last. Or should I just be happy he got mangled (especially the driver) in the accident later? Either way, the one thing that surprises me in the PI is that if the victim doesn't / can't afford to press charges, the offender often gets off. Why can't the police just charge someone because it's their job to do so, or why can't it be free to do so?

Jake
Posted
Posted

First of all, we are grateful that your step daughter had enough courage to fight off these punks on a scooter. Nothing surprises me anymore regarding the justice system in the PI. However, It was righteous that streetjustice administered by the local police was conducted during "interrogation". Additionally, the parents whoargued that "no one was hurt" should be charged with felony stupidity. I would assume the scooter is nowthe property of the local PNP.Thank you for sharing Ekimswish -- Jake

sjp52
Posted
Posted

When I got married to my wife last year. A week after I left to go back to Canada for some business to take care of, My wives ex heard we were married and came to her house and stabbed her 6 times and then stabbed himself. She was in the hospital for a while but survived. He was arrested and I thought all was well. But a month later he got out of jail. I asked my wife how did he get out of jail and she said that his sister worked in the states and sent money to get him out. It seems even if you are charged with attempted murder you can buy your way out. He is band from her city and she heard he is very religious now. But I still worry that some day he will come back. I wonder what happens to these criminals that kill somebody What kind of a sentence to they get and can they buy there way out of jail if the price is right.

Jake
Posted
Posted
When I got married to my wife last year. A week after I left to go back to Canada for some business to take care of, My wives ex heard we were married and came to her house and stabbed her 6 times and then stabbed himself. She was in the hospital for a while but survived. He was arrested and I thought all was well. But a month later he got out of jail. I asked my wife how did he get out of jail and she said that his sister worked in the states and sent money to get him out. It seems even if you are charged with attempted murder you can buy your way out. He is band from her city and she heard he is very religious now. But I still worry that some day he will come back. I wonder what happens to these criminals that kill somebody What kind of a sentence to they get and can they buy there way out of jail if the price is right.
As you may know, anything and everything can be circumvented in the PI justice system. For example,the higher position a government official holds will often times just get a slap on the wrist or prosecutingwitnesses mysteriously disappear or paid off. Look at Erap and Lacson who were charged with plunder,murder and ill gotten wealth. It sets a bad example that if they could get away with more serious crimes,then the poor and the oppressed people would feel less and less remorse for their own stupid actions.It comes to no surprise to me that "street justice" is more effective, cheaper and justified in the eyes ofthe victims and their families. The law of the jungle still applies.......Respectfully -- JakePS -- in spite of the ex becoming a Bible thumper, a nice wooden baseball bat and pepper spray or both should be waiting for him, just in case.

UZI
Posted
Posted
As you may know, anything and everything can be circumvented in the PI justice system. For example,the higher position a government official holds will often times just get a slap on the wrist or prosecutingwitnesses mysteriously disappear or paid off. Look at Erap and Lacson who were charged with plunder,murder and ill gotten wealth. It sets a bad example that if they could get away with more serious crimes,then the poor and the oppressed people would feel less and less remorse for their own stupid actions.It comes to no surprise to me that "street justice" is more effective, cheaper and justified in the eyes ofthe victims and their families. The law of the jungle still applies.......Respectfully -- JakePS -- in spite of the ex becoming a Bible thumper, a nice wooden baseball bat and pepper spray or both should be waiting for him, just in case.
The legal system and justice often don't go hand in hand in most countries sadly. Bad guys in the US get bail & the bleeding hearts in the UK think that a friendly chat will stop them being bad guys. Uzi

sjp52
Posted
Posted
PS -- in spite of the ex becoming a Bible thumper, a nice wooden baseball bat and pepper spray or both should be waiting for him, just in case.
Yea Jake, I feel the same way. My worries are next time he shows up he may have a gun.

sjp52
Posted
Posted
Either way, the one thing that surprises me in the PI is that if the victim doesn't / can't afford to press charges, the offender often gets off. Why can't the police just charge someone because it's their job to do so, or why can't it be free to do so?
I hope your step daughter is ok. One thing I have noticed is not much phases Filipinos. They have seen it all. I think the problem lye.s in the fact that the police don,t get paid much so they get their money any way they can ( bribes, pay offs. charging for pressing charges ). Another thing is that the Philippines people are very laid back and unfortunately most take that laid back attitude to work with them. So we either learn to live with it or move on

ekimswish
Posted
Posted

Our nanny for the step-kids (we're out of country) is married to my wive's friend's brother. He killed a guy at the videoke a year ago because his friend with a sister in Saudi asked him to, and he would pay his charges. So he stabbed the guy to death outside of the videoke and got arrested. But it's a small town where they live, and everyone knows everyone. So the police let him wander around during the day, reffing the basketball games, going to the market for food to bring back and cook for them. The victim's family wanted 20,000 pesos to not charge him. His sister sent the money from HK, but their mom used it on an uncle's medical bills. The friend said he would only pay up after he was already out. Anyways.... he's out now, so must've got more money from somewhere.

brock
Posted
Posted

If you have the money, You can get away with murder, plain and simple

• 2 months later...
ekimswish
Posted
Posted

Update here. Since we're leaving the kids in Marikina tomorrow to head off to Leyte ourselves, today we went to the police station to inquire about our daughter's case. Last night my wife told me that a rumor had gone around about how much the family was willing to pay us (not true), 20,000 pesos and buy us 3 cell phones. A police told our old helper that it wasn't enough, we should get more, with the indication that they would get a cut. So in light of this kind of broken system, I told my wife that I want to pursue the case and put these guys away, but if the system is so broken that we can't even do that properly, maybe we could just settle, even though we don't want these guys off the hook. Our plan was to go to the police today and see how clean or dirty they are, and then make a decision. Happily, they were very clean... even their shoes were shiny. Marikina Police Station is a nice place. Anyways, I was wrong before when I said that other people couldn't afford to press charges against these guys. The problem before was the police hadn't caught them yet. Now a lot of cases are against them, and it's just a few hundred pesos for paper work. Their trial is next Tuesday, and the police said we'll probably get 20~30,000 pesos in emotional damages anyways. Swwwwweeeeeeeeeeet. So here's hoping to the best. Cheers, to scumbags rotting in jail.