Davao City

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

I have a question Inspector,   :1 (235):  so how often did the power go out while you were there? or maybe you did not notice because you were in hotels and malls which have their own generators?  The Mindanao power problems is supposed to be all over, and I have been told by my niece who lives in one part of Davao that it usually lasts half a day and goes out often, so I am wondering if you were there long enough to find out how many hours a day and how many days a week you might have to go without power? Which in my mind could negate all the other positive items. As for clean, I found CDO much cleaner than Cebu and with a lot of things to do.

Inspector
Posted
Posted
I have a question Inspector, :1 (235): so how often did the power go out while you were there? or maybe you did not notice because you were in hotels and malls which have their own generators? The Mindanao power problems is supposed to be all over, and I have been told by my niece who lives in one part of Davao that it usually lasts half a day and goes out often, so I am wondering if you were there long enough to find out how many hours a day and how many days a week you might have to go without power? Which in my mind could negate all the other positive items. As for clean, I found CDO much cleaner than Cebu and with a lot of things to do.
My man Mr Lee! :cheers:...we were not there long enough to experience any brown outs, and as you said, these brown outs would not of been noticed in the motel or malls. Half day brown outs would be unacceptable to me, however, I have already looked into loud large generators for other areas that roll 2 hours on occasion, so having one in Davao City would justify this cost. One thing I noticed in Davao was it being a bit cooler and a breeze, although still hot. There are also areas that are higher up there, and if you were willing to risk the safety of being in a crowd and acquire a car, you could actually do without air conditioning. IMHO, that is the biggest drawback of a brown out...in case nobody has noticed who lives here...it's freaking hot. If it was not for that fact, most everybody would not give the power outages much thought as I can do without a TV or computer for a while. I might of been a city boy, but I spent a lot of my free time upstate New York camping out/hunting ect....in tents mind you, with only a cold lake to bath, and a few squeals with a banjo to entertain us. Heat and brownouts are the problem in this once VERY developed country that will never develop back in our life times. Never.As far as the death squads, I am sure they are there, and if foreigners were being wacked...I certainly would not move there. I know they have the Mafia in New York as I grew up, and where they are...who they were and the pizza parlor they grouped. Was I afraid? Ever? No. Why would I be afraid? I was not a threat to them, and one of friend's dad was a captain...and my dad coached his older son in little league baseball. Speaking of New Yorkers and little league....
Hehehe, this still makes me laugh. The coach was nypd like my dad, and while this slap shocked the nation, the cursing son's dad was happy his kid was smacked. :lol:One thing I have learned over time from news sources, I don't believe most of them. I will not get into politics, but let's just say any and all reporting have agendas, where once a journalist would report actual facts, today they slant, edit, add, tug, pull and draw to justify their beliefs. I use common sense, and realize the source. There is a reason Sheriff Joe Arpaio keeps getting elected in Phoenix, and while he states he is tough on crime, the stats do not back up his tactics....in Davao City these tactics do indeed work, as proven by the numbers. I would rather see these papers and sites concentrate on the Catholic Church and their stupidity with birth control, and how it compares to a some deaths in Davao City, arguably most drug dealers, vs the slow starvation and death over population causes in a country that has no jobs. Developing? How about dissolving?....into the abyss.
Notice that this reporting here suggests they ARE drug dealers and "petty" criminals .... NOT political opponents. While I am sure some are due to elections as they happen all over this developing country, listen to the leaning report here and those they interview...drug dealers. :cheers:

Jake
Posted
Posted

Thank you for the enlightenment on Davao City. I guess growing up with survival techniques both out in the boonies and NYC gave you some valuable street smarts. We look forward in more of your field reports about your new found paradise.Thank you sir -- Jake

Inspector
Posted
Posted
Thank you for the enlightenment on Davao City. I guess growing up with survival techniques both out in the boonies and NYC gave you some valuable street smarts. We look forward in more of your field reports about your new found paradise.Thank you sir -- Jake
Well, street smarts do nothing when it comes to the cultural differences. That's an ongoing battle/learning experience for myself, and far more dangerous with that type misunderstanding. Oh, and I want to point out that while I do not agree with these death squads and executing any individual before trial, you again have to accept the culture of where I am living and roll with it in all it's negative glory.... as we are told, and find some positives. Here, the lack of a fair trial, total corruption and devalue of life has a positive impact on a safer city for many. Beer for my Horses - Toby KeithWell a man come on the 6 o'clock newsSaid somebody's been shot, somebody's been abusedSomebody blew up a buildingSomebody stole a carSomebody got awaySomebody didn't get too far yeahThey didn't get too farGrandpappy told my pappy, back in my day, sonA man had to answer for the wicked that he doneTake all the rope in TexasFind a tall oak tree, round up all of them bad boysHang them high in the street for all the people to see that(Chorus)Justice is the one thing you should always findYou got to saddle up your boysYou got to draw a hard lineWhen the gun smoke settles we'll sing a victory tuneWe'll all meet back at the local saloonWe'll raise up our glasses against evil forcesSinging whiskey for my men, beer for my horsesWe got too many gangsters doing dirty deedsWe've got too much corruption, too much crime in the streetsIt's time the long arm of the law put a few more in the groundSend 'em all to their maker and he'll settle 'em downYou can bet he'll set 'em down 'cause

oldutot
Posted
Posted

Hey Inspector, Great report. I know of a lot of kanos marrying girls of Davao, and other areas of Mindanao

• 2 months later...
Okieboy
Posted
Posted

i live 30 k from Davo but go there often to shop, it is a well guarded city, especially the gated subdivisions, but the guard may be Moros, i had a real estate agent try to sell me a house in the subdivision , my brother in law a officer in the Phillipine army ask me why i want to live there, if the Moros want to harm a forigner where you think they go, we have a army post close to where i live, and i notice white strangers there, my brother in law wont comment, the American presents is still here. As far as safety there are between 2700 and 3000 americans killed in Los Angles county alone each year, the Moros will never be a force to deal with as long as the troops hunt them in Mindanao, they are about 5% of the population. By the way the Moros fear the Catholics most of all, they are the Government, remember it is not only expat that read this forum.

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted
i live 30 k from Davo but go there often to shop, it is a well guarded city, especially the gated subdivisions, but the guard may be Moros, i had a real estate agent try to sell me a house in the subdivision , my brother in law a officer in the Phillipine army ask me why i want to live there, if the Moros want to harm a forigner where you think they go, we have a army post close to where i live, and i notice white strangers there, my brother in law wont comment, the American presents is still here. As far as safety there are between 2700 and 3000 americans killed in Los Angles county alone each year, the Moros will never be a force to deal with as long as the troops hunt them in Mindanao, they are about 5% of the population. By the way the Moros fear the Catholics most of all, they are the Government, remember it is not only expat that read this forum.
I’m curious to do with your statement “there are between 2700 and 3000 americans killed in Los Angles county alone each year” How did you come across this figure? There were 250 murders in LA County in 2009.Link;http://www.lacountymurders.com/stats.cfm

Okieboy
Posted
Posted
I’m curious to do with your statement “there are between 2700 and 3000 americans killed in Los Angles county alone each year” How did you come across this figure? There were 250 murders in LA County in 2009.Link;http://www.lacountymurders.com/stats.cfm
yes your right my mistake , that is total for the state, from a high in 1993 of 4,096 to the present 1,972 never the less ,that is more americans killed than in Iraq and Afghanistian in the last nine years

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted
yes your right my mistake , that is total for the state, from a high in 1993 of 4,096 to the present 1,972 never the less ,that is more americans killed than in Iraq and Afghanistian in the last nine years
Wow, that is still a huge number I had no idea. I found some interesting facts from the UN here;http://www.data360.org/dsg.aspx?Data_Set_Group_Id=699