Merging Cultures

Inspector
Posted
Posted
Didn't get a chance to read through all the posts yet, but where Softail first posed the question about differences, communication was the first thing that popped into my head. Then I read his post and agreed 100% with the money thing. They're not used to budgeting, and they have no idea how western people spend (borrow). Communication can be a problem with the language, even when your wife is fluent, since just a slang used differently can cause problems. I can't remember the exact story now, but I used a slang once which I thought meant "hang out" with a girl, and she interpreted as I "screwed" the girl. We had a big fight before realizing it was a misunderstanding. The second, and more common, way communication is a problem is that Filipinos like to leave lots of room for vagueness, where Westerners want it straight, to the point. My wife and I have had so many frustrating arguments which could've been avoided had she told me everything at once, rather than bit by bit, in no particular order. Now, she's experiencing the same problem dealing with people back home who aren't telling her everything, or aren't being clear, and I can't help but laugh, thinking it's a taste of her own medicine, and hoping she'll sympathize with me a little more and start being more direct. Not to pick on her, I've got my own short-comings. We've both come a long way though, and I feel we're on the right path.
Yesss, great post...as you and Mr Lee point out, the meaning of words are a huge culture barrier and something I deal with daily. I have this tendency to say "oh look" when I see something intense such as beautiful waterfall, potential dark rain clouds or ladyboy that looks actually good. I eventually learned that saying "oh look" is like yelling penis out loud, thus saying "oh look" to a ladyboy, unlike towards a waterfall or clouds, could either be insulting, or a come on. shooter.gif

No name
Posted
Posted

These words he speaks are true...Filipino generally are "happy go lucky" as my girlfriend was telling me just last night. Not this topic, we were just talking and it came up. Of course, with any generalization, there are always exceptions.I'm not a good saver at all. I suck at it. I think I could make $500 a day and still be broke. LOL I don't know, I plan to test that theory......My first wife was a saver. My second wife couldn't find her way to the bank if I pointed the way. I hope I have sense enough not to have a third one..... :) No matter how wonderful Jessie is.There are lots issues around our different cultures. Sometimes I say something and Jessie just smiles. Its her "He doesn't understand our ways" smile. LOLWe understand each other more as time goes on.