Monthly Expenses

newboy
Posted
Posted

I will have a look for his posts thanks.I don't really live a western lifestyle as such, I just like nice things, mated with a rather bad sneaker obsession.Living in Asia is nothing new to me and I've no plans or need to return to the UK at all. I first moved to Asia when I was 26 and I'm 31 now, I'm pretty much semi retired, I just wheel and deal a fair bit.Living costs are very palatable for me here, I'm just working out where to "trim the fat"

i am bob
Posted
Posted

For those who don't know, I'm presently living in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada - just outside of Toronto. And, yeah, that makes it a little expensive but still liveable... And I'm doing this on just my Armed Forces Pension - and that ain't really a lot. If I can live on that here and with the lifestyle I like, then I know I can do the same in the Philippines! Not to mention I will have the help of my too-wonderful-for-words girlfriend who understands the meaning of budgeting better than I do!!! Somebody is going to say "But Bob! You work in a store too!" and that is very true! Every cent I make there goes into paying off my Line of Credit and other debts for before I go! No debts - No worries!!!

• Like 1

Mike S
Posted
Posted

I know I sound like a broken record but I can't emphasize it enough ...... it all depends on how you are used to living and if you are willing to change in order to live with in your means or a budget ....... if you come from a cold environment and have never lived in the tropics you are going to need aircon ...... if you don't like veggies and are a big meat eater (especially beef) it is going to cost you more to eat as does going out to restaurants a lot ..... if you drink or smoke and like the company of numerous females it will cost more ..... if you are single it more than likely will cost more unless you are going to cook ... wash ... etc. yourself ...... do you like to socialize a lot especially with other foreigners it again will cost you extra ...... Only YOU can determine how and in what way you want to live ........ of course how much money you will have to live on will have a great bearing ........A little note here ..... if you are married to or find a good Filipina here in the Phils she can go a long ways in helping you to live the lifestyle you can afford or want and even help you save money ..... the old saying "2 can live cheaper than 1" in this case is not only true but very do-able ...... again these are all choices you will be faced with and decisions you must make ....... we can give you all the information that we have on what we do and how we do it but we can't decide how you will live your life ........ IMHO

• Like 4

Higg-num
Posted
Posted

I am sorry to learn of the late Travis & his misfortunes. Mike S, At the risk of sounding like a cheerleader, You Sir , have become one of my favorites here. Jake, JollyGood and several others as well. I believe I would be fortunate indeed to make ya'lls acquaintance.I have an idea, If I may ?....Perhaps you should consider a professional " Mentoring " service for folks like Bob and me when we hit the ground. ( Though Bob seems much more intelligent than myself ) Kinda like your showing us the ropes ,around town. Helping the rookies to not get ripped off or stabbed to death. Keeping us Good guys from bad guys and all manner of evil. LoL I know there are so called services but I have had a few folks state that when visiting a new area or Country , the best way was to have friends /associates at that location that KNOW what is going on. LISTEN to them , compensate them for there trouble and do not piss them off with over burdening them. : ) Just a thought.

• Like 1

Jake
Posted
Posted
I am sorry to learn of the late Travis & his misfortunes. Mike S, At the risk of sounding like a cheerleader, You Sir , have become one of my favorites here. Jake, JollyGood and several others as well. I believe I would be fortunate indeed to make ya'lls acquaintance.I have an idea, If I may ?....Perhaps you should consider a professional " Mentoring " service for folks like Bob and me when we hit the ground. ( Though Bob seems much more intelligent than myself ) Kinda like your showing us the ropes ,around town. Helping the rookies to not get ripped off or stabbed to death. Keeping us Good guys from bad guys and all manner of evil. LoL I know there are so called services but I have had a few folks state that when visiting a new area or Country , the best way was to have friends /associates at that location that KNOW what is going on. LISTEN to them , compensate them for there trouble and do not piss them off with over burdening them. : ) Just a thought.
Outstanding idea Marine!One of the best ways to conduct a recon is get to know the natives. Or in this case, PEF members that will give youvital intelligence. Although, I'm still stuck here in southern California, there is a get together in Cebu for memberswith wifes/GF, usually around late spring of every year. By the way, Mike S is a grunt also and loves to play out inthe mud.....he, he.Semper Fi -- respectfully Jake (E-9 Navy puke retired)

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
For those who don't know, I'm presently living in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada - just outside of Toronto.
I have been to Hamilton visiting Canadian friends who were originally from India. Part of my Hamilton travel experience was attending the re-dedication of a Hindu temple that was burned by someone who thought it was an Islamic mosque. This was after 9-11. The entire community did fund raisers, including area churches, to rebuild the temple. My host kept telling eveyone I had flown all the way from Hawaii for the dedication ceremony. Both my sons have stayed with the same family in Hamilton when they attended a regional Bridge tournament in Toronto. You are in a beautiful place. I guess you can say the same for the rest of Canada. Of course, I should also visit during the winter months..
  • Like 1

i am bob
Posted
Posted
Great Idea!!! I don't know how often I would be able to get out to a mentor's though... I have a young lady who, if she can let me go long enough to partake in being mentored, I'll probably still be holding on tight to her...!

Higg-num
Posted
Posted (edited)

Outstanding idea Marine!Semper Fi -- respectfully Jake (E-9 Navy puke retired)Jake, You flatter me as I only did TDY's to USMC ' s bases & Trained with a few of those folks...as well as current / former SOF, SWAT, Various Law Enforcement/ LEO, Tac-Med, Airborne and a few others around the globe.Just wanted to clarify...I'm a has been or maybe never been. : )p.s. E-9 ! ? ! ? ! holy Crap. We always looked up to you guys when ever you would come around when we were deployed or training !!!!!!!!! Thank you for what you did for our country ! Men like you are Part of the reason why I am honored for the privilege too Volunteer with projects like wounded warriors and so forth

Edited by Higg-num
  • Like 1

Art2ro
Posted
Posted

I think there's already enough mentors here on this forum that give good and sound advice, except for a few! :541:

• Like 1

Higg-num
Posted
Posted

Hey Art2ro,Thus far I'm inclined to agree but if I may respectfully refer to the post #54... I was hoping for " Mentors " when we land @ Cebu. : )