Whats In A Name?

My display name  

10 members have voted

1. 1. Is the name Boss Man intimidating?

• Yes
    • No
    • Just a little
    • Scares the crap out of me
    • Your the man
  2. 2. Have you felt I was not approachable because of the name,Boss Man?

• Yes
    • No
    • Never gave it a thought
    • Wouldnt ask you the time of the day no matter what name you use
  3. 3. Should I stay with my new name,De Boss or go back to Boss Man

• Yes
    • No
    • Choose another name
    • Dont bother me
    • I like De Boss

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

Well I changed my display name on the forum,just over two years ago when I started this forum and needed a name,for what ever the reason Boss Man came to mind and so be it. A member has suggested a few times or more to me that the name or term boss man was intimidating,I never seen it that way as its not in my country.So lets have a poll and let the people decide. 3_12_31[1].gif

brock
Posted
Posted
Well I changed my display name on the forum,just over two years ago when I started this forum and needed a name,for what ever the reason Boss Man came to mind and so be it. A member has suggested a few times or more to me that the name or term boss man was intimidating,I never seen it that way as its not in my country.So lets have a poll and let the people decide. 3_12_31[1].gif
What about GODFATHER....1%20(72).gif You are the Boss

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
Well I changed my display name on the forum,just over two years ago when I started this forum and needed a name,for what ever the reason Boss Man came to mind and so be it. A member has suggested a few times or more to me that the name or term boss man was intimidating,I never seen it that way as its not in my country.So lets have a poll and let the people decide.  3_12_31[1].gif
I am one of those who felt the name might be intimidating to some members and possibly even insulting to some others. Where I grew up in the US, Boss Man was a term that was often used by some African Americans towards some whites with a negative slant, and also is a term that is used in jails towards the officers in a negative way and a sign of disrespect, so that other inmates could have a laugh, but many of the officers would not know its meaning and actually thought the inmates were showing respect. Former prisoners on US streets use that term negatively at times toward police officers they run into, and I know that term was used on plantations during the slavery years in some parts of the US, so with so many negative connotations of that term, I am one who like De Boss better than Boss Man, but that is just my opinion and I would like to hear others thoughts on the subject and since Tom is really a nice person in real life once people get to know him, it would be my hope that more members will get to meet him in person next year when he is in Cebu. 

Jake
Posted
Posted
I am one of those who felt the name might be intimidating to some members and possibly even insulting to some others. Where I grew up in the US, Boss Man was a term that was often used by some African Americans towards some whites with a negative slant, and also is a term that is used in jails towards the officers in a negative way and a sign of disrespect, so that other inmates could have a laugh, but many of the officers would not know its meaning and actually thought the inmates were showing respect. Former prisoners on US streets use that term negatively at times toward police officers they run into, and I know that term was used on plantations during the slavery years in some parts of the US, so with so many negative connotations of that term, I am one who like De Boss better than Boss Man, but that is just my opinion and I would like to hear others thoughts on the subject and since Tom is really a nice person in real life once people get to know him, it would be my hope that more members will get to meet him in person next year when he is in Cebu.
GODFATHER is good also. Seriously, it really doesn't matter to me. I was a member of another forum for only a few weeks and realize the senior members were all control freaks. However, The Philippines Expat Forum is run by a gentleman from Australia and I believe that all members here have great respect for you. I did not find "Boss Man" intimidating at all but I think "De Boss" shows some classic humor and the willingness to go with the flow to please its members.Respectfully -- Jake

Art2ro
Posted
Posted

Don't believe what the poll results say! Hey! You're the Boss! But how about "Yo te Amo" in Spanish/Tagalog? Pretty close to, "You're the Man" in a romantic expression it was intended for! :23_11_62[1]:

sjp52
Posted
Posted

I think some people have nothing better to do than complain about everything. We all pick are own name. So why would it be any different for you. Its just a name. If you change it, Then next they will be saying they don,t like this or that. I cant believe that somebody that has the balls to travel half way around the world would be intimidated by a simple name WOW.

sjp52
Posted
Posted

A few people on this forum have suggested that my name (sjp52) scares the hell out of them. I was thinking of changing it to the Bossman, What do you think. :23_11_62[1]:

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

Interesting so far, keep the opinions and votes coming.If anyone is wondering why they keep seeing the last post again and again, as if it were a new post, it is because every time someone votes, the last post in a poll will comes up again as a new post because of the new vote.

Jim Sibbick
Posted
Posted
I am Australian too!It seems quite normal to me. My whole working life, the person in charge of the worksite has been called boss.Regards; Jim

ancienrocka
Posted
Posted

Bossman is cool for me - f you want to attract more English members what about "The Guv'nor"