Bringing Pet To The Philippines

ekimswish
Posted
Posted

Hello, I'm trying to find a way to bring my dog to the Philippines in November, and realize I must get permission from the Philippine Bureau of Animal Industry, Animal Health Division (AHD) first. Have any of you ever done this and could give me a hint on how long it might take? I'm moving in 6 weeks, so sending a letter all the way there and getting a response all the way back to Korea could take a lot of time. In other details, I'm trying to send the dog as cargo on a separate airline, since Cebu Pacific Air is the cheapest for us to fly, but doesn't offer pet services. He's also a sh&t-tzu, in case anyone could tell me a reason why he wouldn't be happy in the Philippines due to the tropical atmosphere. Thanks for any help.

ekimswish
Posted
Posted

To answer my own question with an odd update, the local Philippine store told us they can send our dog to the Philippines for just $100 and only a health certificate. All they do is give him to the next Filipino flying home and that's it. Even though every website, including the PI embassy here in Korea, say you need an import permit, practical Philippine experience tells us you don't. Could it be a scam, sure. But I doubt it is. These are pretty honest businesses here run for and by the OFW's, and if they say something can be done, I'll take their word for it over the government's anyday. On top of that, I actually don't want this dog, but my wife does, and so for just $100, the risk of him getting lost, confiscated, and/or put down doesn't bother me. To do it the official way would cost me a lot more money. Go Philippines!

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
Hello, I'm trying to find a way to bring my dog to the Philippines in November, and realize I must get permission from the Philippine Bureau of Animal Industry, Animal Health Division (AHD) first. Have any of you ever done this and could give me a hint on how long it might take? I'm moving in 6 weeks, so sending a letter all the way there and getting a response all the way back to Korea could take a lot of time. In other details, I'm trying to send the dog as cargo on a separate airline, since Cebu Pacific Air is the cheapest for us to fly, but doesn't offer pet services. He's also a sh&t-tzu, in case anyone could tell me a reason why he wouldn't be happy in the Philippines due to the tropical atmosphere. Thanks for any help.
I put this link in another thread and to me it says Cebu Pacific do have pet cargo services,our Member (Inspector) was going to do this but not sure if he did.http://emms.cebupacificair.com/products/faqs-cargo.html

ekimswish
Posted
Posted
I put this link in another thread and to me it says Cebu Pacific do have pet cargo services,our Member (Inspector) was going to do this but not sure if he did.http://emms.cebupaci...faqs-cargo.html
It's a good link, but unfortunately the lady at Cebu Pacific again, just a few minutes ago, told me they can't take pets. I told her the website says they do, and she disagreed with me and says the website says they can't carry pets. Even though this contradicts what you just showed me, I take it as an oversight on their part. I read a blog from a while ago where some woman's dog died on a Cebu Pacific flight and then they tricked her out of compensation. Ah well... I really don't want this dog.

No name
Posted
Posted
To answer my own question with an odd update, the local Philippine store told us they can send our dog to the Philippines for just $100 and only a health certificate. All they do is give him to the next Filipino flying home and that's it. Even though every website, including the PI embassy here in Korea, say you need an import permit, practical Philippine experience tells us you don't. Could it be a scam, sure. But I doubt it is. These are pretty honest businesses here run for and by the OFW's, and if they say something can be done, I'll take their word for it over the government's anyday. On top of that, I actually don't want this dog, but my wife does, and so for just $100, the risk of him getting lost, confiscated, and/or put down doesn't bother me. To do it the official way would cost me a lot more money. Go Philippines!
You do know that in some areas of the Philippines they still eat dog? :signnvm: I hope the "next Filipino" isn't one of those. LOLYou know, I read that on the web but if it is true at all, it is not common. Though, I've also been told by Filipino that you don't have to go out to the remote areas to find this. That it happens a LOT in the slums of Manila. Not because its part of the culture but because they are hungry.Korean's eat dog too, right? Hard for me to keep which country does what straight. Koreans eat some nasty stuff! LOL Guess I'm getting off topic a little early on this thread.

ekimswish
Posted
Posted
You do know that in some areas of the Philippines they still eat dog? :signnvm: I hope the "next Filipino" isn't one of those. LOLYou know, I read that on the web but if it is true at all, it is not common. Though, I've also been told by Filipino that you don't have to go out to the remote areas to find this. That it happens a LOT in the slums of Manila. Not because its part of the culture but because they are hungry.Korean's eat dog too, right? Hard for me to keep which country does what straight. Koreans eat some nasty stuff! LOL Guess I'm getting off topic a little early on this thread.
I actually ate dog on a squatter neighborhood up on a hill. I say "ate" liberally, as I never actually managed to swallow it. It didn't gross me out. The meat was just so chewy and rubbery that I couldn't break it down with my teeth enough to swallow, and ended up just spitting it out on the plate once all "flavor" was lost. I gave the rest of my bowl to a kid. They love to brag about eating dog, the older Koreans. The younger ones are sometimes embarrassed or grossed out by it. The children probably think it's funny. Basically, they're proud of it because it gives them "stamina" and it's a high-energy food, they claim. I've also heard that the claim of it being a high-energy food is not true, which I tend to believe. So Filipinos eat dog due to hunger; Koreans eat dog due to culture (which probably originated from hunger).

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

:signnvm: Sorry to make a joke of it but it is a shame to some degree but poor people have to eat and who are we to judge what people eat just because it is not normal to us. 

post-40-087401000 1287017969_thumb.jpg

No name
Posted
Posted

Well tell them to give the dog to some squatters that just happen to be able to buy a ticket? ohmy.gifSugarwareZ-065.gif

ekimswish
Posted
Posted (edited)
http://www.philippin...philippines.phpThis has a bunch of information I need, but not the sense I need to make of it. I asked the OFW store to double check whether I needed an import permit from the Philippines, and they got back and said I need a quarantine permit, which I can apparently get in Korea. This website tells me to contact the nearest embassy which I will do ASAP, and I can fax my application to the Bureau of Animal Health in the Philippines, rather than mail it. Slowly, I'm making progress. One thing that throws me off is the last sentence in the link I provided where I will be required to pay 50% of the original value of the animal plus a 10% tax. We got our dog for free, and I've heard you can get them here for $20, so I'm not sure what they'll ask us to pay, if anything, but it'd piss me off if they asked for $50 up. (edit)Information is a bit different here: http://www.philembas...nsular.asp#pt16Just got off the phone with the embassy staff, and the man told me I don't need an import permit from the Bureau of Animal Industry and Animal Health (whatever the name is). I just need a health certificate in or translated into English and notarized by the embassy. All that information on the internet, including their embassy website, and it's not needed. Don't know how I should feel about that, but probably happy. Edited by ekimswish

• 2 weeks later...
ekimswish
Posted
Posted

After a few days on the scramble, I got my dog's health certificate translated to English, notarized, approved by the Korean Ministry of Foreign Affairs, and submitted it for authentification at the Phil embassy in Seoul. Now, I know the websites said I needed an import permit for the pet from the Department of Animal Industry in the Philippines, and then the local Filipinos along with the Phil embassy said I DON'T need the permit. But upon submitting the documents for authentification yesterday the Korean-American behind the counter admitted she didn't know what I need exactly, but asked ME if I actually needed an import permit. I said the embassy told me on the phone I don't. She's said okay. I went home and got my wife to call the Animal Industry place on skype, and they said we DID need the permit. I was intimidated about it before because I thought it would take too long for them to mail us the permit, however, now we've found out they can just fax it. I've never heard of a faxed document used for official purposes before, but whatever.... what a loopty-loop