Typhoon Megi (Juan) Heading For North Philippines

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

Just a heads up for any of you up in Luzon or with friends or relatives up that way, keep an eye on where this one heads because Megi (Juan) (track it here) is said that it will be a powerful typhoon.   Read about it HEREMANILA, Philippines - A powerful typhoon that could intensify into the highest hurricane category is barreling toward the Philippines, international storm trackers reported yesterday.Typhoon “Megi,” which will be called “Juan” when it enters the Philippine area of responsibility (PAR), is expected to make landfall in Northern Luzon in two to four days.Megi was last spotted 1,200 kilometers east of Southern Tagalog, heading toward the Philippines at 20 kilometers per hour with maximum sustained winds of 120 kph and gustiness reaching up to 150 kph, the Philippine Atmospheric, Geophysical and Astronomical Services Administration (Pagasa) said.The US Navy Joint Typhoon Warning Center on its website said Megi is forecast to reach Northern Luzon within four days.The storm’s maximum sustained winds were blowing at 167 kph and may strengthen to 250 kph as it approaches the northern part of the Philippines, the center said.This would make it a Category 5 storm, the highest on the Saffir-Simpson Hurricane Wind scale, capable of “catastrophic damage,” according to the US National Hurricane Center.

No name
Posted
Posted

This is going to be a very bad storm. It is slated to become a cat four and slam into Luzon as a Cat 3. Most storms in the Philippines are a Cat 1. If this holds its current status, people are going to die and there is going to be much need for help.

Jake
Posted
Posted

With permission from Boss Man, I would like to reemphasize this potential CAT 5 Typhoon that may hitcentral-northern Luzon by this coming Monday, OCT 18. Thanks to Lee's initiative and Rusty's concernto warn everyone, including friends and relatives that live in the affected areas. Respectfully -- Jake

No name
Posted
Posted

It is now a cat five and it is expected to intensify a bit before it comes crashing in tomorrow.

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

Wow this storm is giant and looks like it covers all of Luzon and then some. I hope everyone will be OK! 

post-40-053736600 1287365544_thumb.png

softail
Posted
Posted

My wife is trying to contact her family but no luck. Doug and Sally

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
My wife is trying to contact her family but no luck.  Doug and Sally
I am sorry to hear that and we pray they will be OK. 

stef
Posted
Posted (edited)

UPDATED 12:15 p.m. — Thousands of families in Isabela and Cagayan provinces were evacuated to safety as super typhoon "Juan" (international name: Megi) started lashing Northern Luzon on Monday. Packing maximum winds of 225 kilometers per hour (kph) near the center, Juan slowed down as it made landfall in Sierra Madre before noon on Monday.According to the Twitter account of the Philippine Atmospheric Geophysical and Astronomical Services Administration (PAGASA), the agency's Aparri Radar recorded that the "eye" of typhoon Juan made landfall at Sierra Madre, Mt. Estagno Point at Divilikan peak at 11:25 a.m.

Edited by stef

stef
Posted
Posted
My wife is trying to contact her family but no luck. Doug and Sally
doug and sallyif they are in these areas this maybe why you can not make contactstefFamilies evacuatedAt least 3,066 people in Isabela and Cagayan provinces were evacuated amid the threat from super typhoon "Juan."In its 7 a.m. report, the National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council (NDRRMC) also said Juan caused the tripping of subtransmission lines in Cagayan.The NDRRMC report said those "preemptively evacuated" in Isabela included 51 families or 280 people, including six families (30 people) from Divilacan and 45 families (250 people) from Dinapigue.Evacuated from Cagayan were 576 families or 2,786 people, including:* 144 families (657 people) in Gonzaga* 150 families (750 people) in Sto. Niño* 250 families (1,250 people) from coastal areas in Rizal* 13 families (53 people) from Sta. Ana* 19 families (76 people) from Aparri.Subtransmission lines were damaged in Cagayan due to tripping but the National Grid Corp. of the Philippines said these have been restored.Swept away by the strong river currentA resident of Tuguegarao City, a candidate in the October 25 barangay elections, was reported missing after being swept away by the strong current of Buntun river in Cagayan province on Sunday.Radio dzBB's Carlo Mateo reported on Monday that 53-year-old Vicente Lattao Decena was looking for his carabao when he slipped and fell into the water in the river. Landslide in ApayaoA stretch of road in Apayao province in northern Luzon posed dangers to travelers after a landslide occurred a road-widening project site there Monday.Radio dzBB's Carlo Mateo reported the incident occurred at 3:00 a.m., in the wake of heavy rains and strong winds brought by super-typhoon "Juan" (Megi).No one was reported injured in the incident occurred at Kabugao town in Apayao province.

Jake
Posted
Posted

Thanks Stef for the local updates. If I'm not mistaken, you're the gentleman that lives in Santa Rosa, Laguna.Stay safe and stay dry my friend.Respectfully -- Jake