Old Wive's Tales

TheMason
Posted
Posted

My wife spent most of the morning finishing up our laundry and ironing clothes (while I read forums, but that's a different topic.) When she finished her work, I offered to heat her bath water for her. She replied, "No way! Do you want me to get sick?" :AddEmoticons04230: I asked her what she meant by that and she said it's called 'pasma'. Apparently, if you go from a hot environment (ironing clothes) to a cool environment (bathing) you will get a tic in your eye, shakes in your hands, varicose veins, and possibly leprosy like pustules all over your body. :AddEmoticons04230: I just said 'OK, let me know when you are ready for your bath and I'll heat you some water.' Experience has taught me that further discussion was pointless. She KNEW for a fact that this would happen, and I KNEW for a fact it would not. So why talk about it? Forget that ironing is not really a hot environment and that she would have been bathing in hot water, not cold. Logic means nothing when I'm confronted with statements like this. I just go with the flow and don't argue about it. We're both happier that way.But it got me to thinking, what old wive's tales have other's stumbled across in the Philippines? When you come across things like this, do you try to convince her she's wrong or just go with it?

• Like 1

Mike S
Posted
Posted

Yes ... Mason ... I can relate to that hot sweaty body and cold water making you sick theory ....... when I first got here I used to sweat when going out side and when coming back in I wanted to take a cold shower ...... (you noticed I said WANTED) .... When Julie found out she had a fit and shut off the water telling me "darling you will get sick" .... I told her I've done it thousands of times ...... her answer " but not here in the Philippines .... it is different" ....... and with logic like that who could argue ...... now I just sit down until I cool off ..... SugarwareZ-011.gifSugarwareZ-011.gif

BobNChe
Posted
Posted

Where is Bamboo when you need him? He has taught us on another forum that there are meridians protecting the Philippines from spoiled food and other harmful things, so I am sure that they will protect you in the shower. christmas_emoticons_187.gif

tom_shor
Posted
Posted

I haven't seen him posting for a while anyone know how he is doing?I noticed that they don't like to get their hair wet in the rain. Same thing makes you sick.

TheMason
Posted
Posted
Where is Bamboo when you need him? He has taught us on another forum that there are meridians protecting the Philippines from spoiled food and other harmful things, so I am sure that they will protect you in the shower. christmas_emoticons_187.gif
I remember that thread quite well. It was one of the first ones I read when I joined the other forum. He has a truly unique perception of things and seemed like a very interesting guy. I know I always looked forward to his posts. Even when they seemed to come from outer space, they were always entertaining.Unfortunately, I don't think my wife will buy the whole 'meridians protecting the Philippines' arguement when it comes to this issue. Although now that I think about it, she has no problem leaving leftover (cooked) meat out at room temperature and eating it a day or so later. Maybe she is aware of the protective meridians after all but just doesn't realize that their powers extend to pasma as well.

PhilIsles
Posted
Posted
My wife spent most of the morning finishing up our laundry and ironing clothes (while I read forums, but that's a different topic.) When she finished her work, I offered to heat her bath water for her. She replied, "No way! Do you want me to get sick?" :7_4_17[1]: I asked her what she meant by that and she said it's called 'pasma'. Apparently, if you go from a hot environment (ironing clothes) to a cool environment (bathing) you will get a tic in your eye, shakes in your hands, varicose veins, and possibly leprosy like pustules all over your body. :th_unfair: I just said 'OK, let me know when you are ready for your bath and I'll heat you some water.' Experience has taught me that further discussion was pointless. She KNEW for a fact that this would happen, and I KNEW for a fact it would not. So why talk about it? Forget that ironing is not really a hot environment and that she would have been bathing in hot water, not cold. Logic means nothing when I'm confronted with statements like this. I just go with the flow and don't argue about it. We're both happier that way.But it got me to thinking, what old wive's tales have other's stumbled across in the Philippines? When you come across things like this, do you try to convince her she's wrong or just go with it?
Hello there "The Mason". I was grinning from ear to ear while I was reading your post. It could be me doing it. Your wife has overlook that you will be preparing her a "warm/hot bath". Probably what was on her mind was simply the shower or bath. If I'm still correct Filipinos does not use warm/hot water to take a shower/bath. Simply just water off the tap or from the well where it is normally cool/cold. Also, in the old days and maybe to some part, poorer people could not afford electric iron. Ironing entails really a hot process. I do not know if you've seen locals using the local iron, but what they use is a cast iron, shape like the electric iron and hollow where you put hot(very hot) coals inside it, so therefore while using it it, you will be expose to hot/warm enivronment and thus your body temperature will be warm/hot too. I grew up with this theory that, the body shoul not be exposed to sudden temperature change. Thus, while you've been ironing for a long time so the body temp goes higher than normal should not take a shower (cold water/tap)right after finishing. Give the body a chance to cool off a bit before taking a shower.I do believe this theory and in fact I practice it. I'ts what both of my grandmothers practiced. My maternal grandmother was 98 years old when she died. She had a hard time recovering from a fall walking from church on a rainy day and broke her hips and had some complications and died due to her complications. My paternal grandmother was 105 years old and died the same like my maternal grandmother. Both were very active, thus the falls. There were other stuff both of them practices which probably the westerners will call primetive (herbal/roots/bark/flower medecine)
  • Like 1

KeithAngel
Posted
Posted

I must suggest a Sauna and Cold plunge then I guess :th_unfair:

• 2 weeks later...
daisy
Posted
Posted

Until now, it is so hard for me to comprehend why my husband does not feel hungry when he is drinking, what's in a beer? Huh! that's my tale and dilemma. :whistling:

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
Until now, it is so hard for me to comprehend why my husband does not feel hungry when he is drinking, what's in a beer? Huh! that's my tale and dilemma. :as-if:
Daisy, the two below items were cut from Wikipedia, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beermainly derived from cerealsHealth effectsBrewer's yeast is known to be a rich source of nutrients; therefore, as expected, beer can contain significant amounts of nutrients, including magnesium, selenium, potassium, phosphorus, biotin, and B vitamins. In fact, beer is sometimes referred to as "liquid bread"So it has to be filling and it taste good as well christmas_emoticons_187.gif :whistling: :cheers: so I can't wait until March so I can toss a few with Alan. :th_closed: santahat.gif :1806:

tom_shor
Posted
Posted (edited)
Until now, it is so hard for me to comprehend why my husband does not feel hungry when he is drinking, what's in a beer? Huh! that's my tale and dilemma. :whistling:
Beer is filling but most will still snack. Try putting out stuff like Chicharones and peanuts. I always liked green mangos and salt. If you build it they will eat. If you want him to eat healthy stuff hide the beer. :th_closed: :as-if: Edited by tom_shor