A Charity Question

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

Were just thinking to myself and someone will know the answer to the question in my head.Do charity groups in the Philippines do anything special to help the homeless on Christmas day?Are there any groups that do anything at any time of the year for the homeless? santa_smiley.gif

johnrxx99
Posted
Posted

I don't think Christmas is that special in many ways as it is yet another day to try to eat.There are a number of good charities here in Cebu, indeed a group of us did a collection for two of them yesterday. The Adams Foundation looks after kids with serious medical complaints and Childrens Joy Foundation is an orphanage. Also another good one is Operation Restore Hope which carries out cleft palete operations. The RP has the highest incident rate of cleft lip and palete in the world and associate with pollution and burning plastic.Nothing very special for christmas though, it's all they can do to feed the kids any day of the year.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
I don't think Christmas is that special in many ways as it is yet another day to try to eat.There are a number of good charities here in Cebu, indeed a group of us did a collection for two of them yesterday. The Adams Foundation looks after kids with serious medical complaints and Childrens Joy Foundation is an orphanage. Also another good one is Operation Restore Hope which carries out cleft palete operations. The RP has the highest incident rate of cleft lip and palete in the world and associate with pollution and burning plastic.Nothing very special for christmas though, it's all they can do to feed the kids any day of the year.
Thats great that someone is trying to look after the kids.I wonder what would happen if someone went around the streets late at night to those sleeping on the streets and gave them some sort of meal, would it cause a riot? :th_thbarbaque:

BobNChe
Posted
Posted (edited)

Novel idea boss man, but the execution might be a bit tricky. For every person sleeping on the street, there are 3 awake. So you would cause much commotion and have a following for a considerable distance.

Edited by BobNChe

johnrxx99
Posted
Posted

I know this will sound harsh but I wonder about the kids living on the street. Research in the UK has shown (but don't ask me to find it) that they are usually associate with grownups who use them to prey on passers by. I tend to think the same happens here although I accept that there parents/minders are often drunks or druggies - well the ones I've seen anyway.The kids don't really have a choice.As regards food on the street, while it is received they really want cash for obvious reasons. The hard part is getting them away from the parents/minders to give them a chance but the parents have to agree and many don't as the kids are a source of income.There's another guy I've heard of, Father John, who tries to help the kids who live in Cebu's rubbish dumps. I need to check him out as well.

tropicalwaste
Posted
Posted
<br />I know this will sound harsh but I wonder about the kids living on the street. Research in the UK has shown (but don't ask me to find it) that they are usually associate with grownups who use them to prey on passers by. I tend to think the same happens here although I accept that there parents/minders are often drunks or druggies - well the ones I've seen anyway.<br /><br />The kids don't really have a choice.<br /><br />As regards food on the street, while it is received they really want cash for obvious reasons. The hard part is getting them away from the parents/minders to give them a chance but the parents have to agree and many don't as the kids are a source of income.<br /><br />There's another guy I've heard of, Father John, who tries to help the kids who live in Cebu's rubbish dumps. I need to check him out as well.<br />
<br /><br /><br />There are plenty of charities in and around Cebu.. im more into ones that are about change.. but i think your right about the kids being used to bring in cash for older adults/parents. There is a woman who is always sat near the money changer next to Pizza hut off the Rotunda. I was in Pizza hut one day with April and was going to buy them dinner but then I noticed she shoved a younger kid off to hassle foreigners to get money. The same kid approached me this week when i went to get some money changed. Funny enough as soon as I gave the kid chocolates it was "money for the baby" and the girl and another child suddenly rushed as a hook had been sunk.. but there is no way im helping people that make an industry of begging.Ive got a Christmas party again this year although its at my peril..lol last year about 60 kids but ive moved to a bigger neighbourhood so will probably be looking at around 120. If anyones got a projector I could borrow for a viewing of Winnie the Pooh for the kids for the evening it would be appreciated as I had to leave mine behind in the UK due to my luggage being well over weight.

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted (edited)

My wife and I still bring crackers to give to those who seem to really need it (when we remember to have it with us) and I have and will continue to buy meals for kids I think really need it. I think what is important is that they are poor, no matter if their parents or others are using them to get money, and giving food IMHO can never be wrong because there are so many in the Philippines who do not get to eat regular meals. :th_thbarbaque: if we can!Added Whoops, just reread my post and I did not answer the question, sorry I do not know of any organized feeding groups and it would be great if some expats could get together and start one.

Edited by Mr. Lee

johnrxx99
Posted
Posted

This is just a thought. In some ways expats doing the feeding could be viewed in a negative way knowing how anti-foreigner the middle classes are. Supporting Filipinos who do charity work may be more productive and get better feedback.

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted (edited)
This is just a thought. In some ways expats doing the feeding could be viewed in a negative way knowing how anti-foreigner the middle classes are. Supporting Filipinos who do charity work may be more productive and get better feedback.
Whatever works and whatever helps to get the poor fed, should be seen as a positive for expats IMHO. Edited by Mr. Lee

• 11 months later...
tropicalwaste
Posted
Posted

I think a joint venture is the way forward as it promotes the Expats in a positive light.. there is always a negative spin to media stories of murders etc. But doing something that can be of interest to the media aswell as make a change could be beneficial to all. Im here for the long haul so changing the way that some look at us is important helping in the background just doesnt cut it for me people are quick enough asking for money the same respect should be shown to us as anyone else.