I Am Back In The Good Ol Us

Travis
Posted
Posted

Thank you all for putting up with me in my last months & I am very sorry if I offended any of you

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
Thank you all for putting up with me in my last months & I am very sorry if I offended any of you
Good to know you made it safely and we hope to hear more from you once you screw your head back on straight. :emostrongbow: 

Jake
Posted
Posted

Hello my friend,We are glad that you have made it back to USA safe and sound. We look forward in keeping in touch with youand any lessons learned that you could share with us. Take care Travis -- Jake

Tom in Texas
Posted
Posted

Traveler... welcome.gif to the USA. You'll find it very "immigrant" freindly. thats-funny.gifSeriously, let us know where you "dig in" here in the States. If you're close enough, I'll buy the first couple or ten cheers.gif to get you back in a "state-side" state of mind.Tom in Texas

Art2ro
Posted
Posted

Well Traveler, I guess you found your niche for now. Anyways, stay in touch and let us all know how you are doing! :th_Good-Luck:Art

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

No place like home! Good to hear you got back to the States OK Traveler. Its clear from reading your posts things were difficult and painful for you in RP the past few months. Maybe sometime in the future you can return with a better perspective, or not.

softail
Posted
Posted

Thankyou for providing the flip side of life in the PI. Most of the feedback that we here about is how wonderfull things are and how everyone lives happily ever after. Storys like yours provide valuable insight into makeing a life changing decision without proper research. Experiences like yours provide valuable insight into the realities of life in a 3rd world country. Again, thanks for shareing, thats what forums like this are all about.Doug and Sally

Travis
Posted
Posted
Thankyou for providing the flip side of life in the PI. Most of the feedback that we here about is how wonderfull things are and how everyone lives happily ever after. Storys like yours provide valuable insight into makeing a life changing decision without proper research. Experiences like yours provide valuable insight into the realities of life in a 3rd world country. Again, thanks for shareing, thats what forums like this are all about.Doug and Sally
Cebu city would have been great if I had more money per month & I could have stayed alone until I met a girl whose family was not always demanding money or if I had more money then I probably would not have minded giving some to her to give them so I do not wish to mislead people coz it would have worked out for me had I either had the money to buy my own small apartment or had more monthly income to be able to live a decent life. life in Cebu was not perfect but neither has life here been perfect during my lifetime. I hope my posts prevent someone else from going over cash poor coz that is what I basically did

Art2ro
Posted
Posted (edited)

Yeah, with a small inadequate source of income, it would be hard to live a modern western style lifestyle here in the Philippines! You would truly hate it living the life of your average Filipinos living on noodles with lots of MSG, fish heads and rice day in day out and no A/C, DSL or Star Bucks coffee!BTW, I met up with Jake in Temecula, Ca. last week while on our vacation and we had a nice long chat over breakfast and coffee at the IHOP, we pigged out! My favorite place for breakfast! Yeah, Jake will now be my official ball handler whenever we get the chance to play some tennis one of these days, he will even wash and shave has own balls for the occasion (inside joke)! We're ready to go back home to the Philippines next week after spending 2 months here in California! Too expensive here in Northern California! My cigarettes here cost between $5 to $8 a pack when a carton in the P.I. only costs P300, ouch (yeah, I enjoy smoking, my only vice, no more fast women and booze though)! And regular unleaded gasoline is $2.95 to $3.31 a gallon! Luckily I only drive my '79 Toyota Corolla in the Philippines once a week just to go grocery shopping at SM Mall which is only a few miles from where we live. I avoid driving at night as much as possible, too many crazy drivers on the road with their halogen lights on bright! Just looking for trouble driving at night in the Philippines!

Edited by Fil/AmArt

Travis
Posted
Posted

I did not wish to live a fancy western life but I did wish to have aircon & bottled water & decent food as well as decent cable tv to watch & a phone & a cell phone & dsl & that cannot be accomplished in the city on $1000 a month with the rents running p15000 alone & up. I could have moved into a pension house & lived for p12000 a month with most of those things in some of them but I like my privacy & quiet time & I could not get that in a pension house & then I would not have been able to cook so food would have cost more then. just before I left I would have told people to make sure they have $1500 a month but now with the exchange going down then I would now say better to have $2000 as a cushion or have some savings coz believe it or not it is cheaper here to live even with rents at $350 to $400 for a whole 1 bedroom modern apartment & not a closet you get in Cebu City & with real hot water & a real bath tube & shower & a cell phone with 1000 outgoing minutes or 2000 incoming minutes for 1 year & for only $100 a year from Tmobile