Gps In The Philippines

slim
Posted
Posted
christmas_emoticons_187.gif Would like to know if anyone has a GPS system that works in the philippines? If you buy one in USA can you download maps from other countries? The prices are really going down on these items and I used one the other day and I think GPS is one great item?

johnrxx99
Posted
Posted

I can remember reading somewhere that they dont work here. No Filipino satellites I guess, lol

slim
Posted
Posted
I can remember reading somewhere that they dont work here. No Filipino satellites I guess, lol
thanks john !! just hoping there was something as the streets in cebu are hard to follow as they just stop and a new street starts.

Gerald
Posted
Posted

Yes the GPS will work here. I have a friend that has a hand held GPS that works well here in Bohol.

Mik
Posted
Posted

I have an old cheap Magellan GPS 300 and it works here in Cebu.

johnrxx99
Posted
Posted

But who did the programming? If even the maps are wrong how can gps be accurate? Just wondering.

BobNChe
Posted
Posted

GPS is just exactly what the acronym means. GLOBAL Positioning System. The satellites are in place worldwide and there are no real gaps to speak of. It was put in place by the US government, under President Reagan's directive, it was released for civilian use after the Korean Airlines shoot down.John, the issues people have mentioned about GPS not working in the Phils is related to the lack of map data available with landmarks, streets and other geographic data. There are efforts underway to rectify the situation. There is a member of "another forum" that has done quite a bit of work on that issue for Cebu, but it only works on Garmin GPS systems.

Hoz
Posted
Posted

GPS most certainly will work in the Philippines. But like the previous poster said, there isn't any map data. I've been to that Philippine GPS site and it's in development , but mostly it just gives coordinates (waypoints). You could always purchase Philippine topo maps and coordinate the lat/longs from those but odds are the roads and landmarks won't be accurate. If you are looking for a GPS that will tell you how to get where you are going like we have in the US, ("turn left 100 meters" in a computer voice) forget it.

BobNChe
Posted
Posted
But like the previous poster said, there isn't any map data.
I think I will change my user name to "previous poster", I like it! LOLOLOLOL

Hoz
Posted
Posted
But like the previous poster said, there isn't any map data.
I think I will change my user name to "previous poster", I like it! LOLOLOLOL
Sorry Bob, I was typing and forgot who made the post. Or maybe I didn't know it was you. By the time I get the page enlarged so that I can read it (control+on Firefox) the posters name gets cutoff to the left."Blind as a bat" and won't wear bifocals, Hoz