Senate Oks Higher Wages For House Helpers

Art2ro
Posted
Posted (edited)

Senate OKs higher wages for house helpersABS-CBN - Monday, December 13, 2010Senate OKs higher wages for house helpersMANILA, Philippines - The Senate on Monday approved on third and final readingSenate Bill No. 78 that will increase the minimum wage of house helpers or"kasambahays."The measure, once signed into law by President Benigno Aquino III, will providehouse helpers with additional benefits.The bill, introduced by Sen. Jinggoy Ejercito Estrada, requires employers to paya minimum wage of at least P2,500 to house helpers within Metro Manila, at leastP2,000 for those in chartered cities and first class municipalities, and atleast P1,500 for those working in third-class municipalities.Estrada said under the measure, employers are mandated to shoulder the premiumsfor their house helpers' benefits in the Social Security System (SSS),Philippine Health Insurance Corporation (PhilHealth), Home Development MutualFund (Pag-IBIG) and the Employees Compensation Commission (ECC).Senate President Juan Ponce Enrile said in a press statement that it was "hightime that `kasambahays' are given the recognition that they deserve.""All human beings, no matter their station in life, should be accorded fulldignity and guaranteed full respect for human rights," Enrile said."Most house helpers endure abuse in the hands of their employers. This bill notonly ensures the rights of our helpers, but will also protect them from beingmaltreated," he added.Estrada said employers will be required to provide house helpers with adequatefood, suitable living conditions, and "first aid medicines and equipment as thenature and conditions of their domestic work may require."He said the measure also provides a mandatory contract between employer andemployee, written in a language understood by both, and not exceeding 2 years."Having a contract will ensure that employers will comply with standard wagesand benefits," Estrada added."This pro-poor bill will benefit 2 million domestic workers," he said. "It ishigh time that the Labor Code, which provides for a minimum wage of P800 fordomestic helpers in the National Capital Region, be amended."Under the bill, employers will be required to outline the house helpers' dutiesand responsibilities as well as their working hours and rest days," Estradasaid.Employers will also be required to provide their "kasambahays" with a pay slip,containing the amount paid in cash by the employer."Any employer who violates these provisions shall be punished under existingpenal laws without prejudice to civil and administrative cases which may befiled against him/her," Jinggoy E. Estrada warned.The question is, when will this Senate Bill No. 78 be signed and enforced?

Edited by Fil/AmArt

Art2ro
Posted
Posted (edited)

Hey, we'll just do what most business employers do, lay off their employees every 6 months so the employers won't be obligated to pay their full benefits and then rehire them back after 6 months and start it all over again! Anyway, we only have a part time house keeper that comes in 2 to 3 times a week! So no problem there I guess, depending what it says in the Labor Code of the Philippines! The question is, when will this Senate bill No. 78 be signed and enforced? Here are a few links concerning Employee Termination:http://www.kittelson...n-of-employmenthttp://allfilipino.w...86-termination/THE LABOR CODE OF THE PHILIPPINESPRESIDENTIAL DECREE NO. 442, AS AMENDED. ART. 282. Termination by employer. – An employer may terminate an employment for any of the following causes: (a) Serious misconduct or willful disobedience by the employee of the lawful orders of his employer or representative in connection with his work; (b) Gross and habitual neglect by the employee of his duties;© Fraud or willful breach by the employee of the trust reposed in him by his employer or duly authorized representative; (d) Commission of a crime or offense by the employee against the person of his employer or any immediate member of his family or his duly authorized representatives; and (e) Other causes analogous to the foregoing. (go to links for more info)

Edited by Fil/AmArt

• 11 months later...
Art2ro
Posted
Posted (edited)

http://newsinfo.inqu...y%E2%80%99-billSenator Estrada pushes ‘kasambahay’ billTJ BurgonioPhilippine Daily Inquirer8:48 am | Friday, June 24th, 2011About time the “overworked but underpaid” household help got an increase in wage.Senate Pro Tempore Senator Jose “Jinggoy” Estrada is making a fresh pitch for President Aquino to certify as urgent a legislation seeking to provide additional benefits for the domestic helpers.Estrada, chair of the Senate labor committee, also appealed to the House of Representatives to follow the Senate’s lead and pass their own version of the “Kasambahay Bill.”The Senate Bill No. 78, approved in December last year, provides for a monthly minimum wage P2,500 for the household workers in Metro Manila and highly urbanized cities, and P2,000 in chartered cities.It also requires employers to secure benefits for them from the Social Security System, Philippine Health Insurance Corp. and Pag-IBIG Fund.

Edited by Art2ro

Art2ro
Posted
Posted (edited)

We pay our live-out house helper P2,900 a month! She only works every other day, 3 1/2 days every week! So, we are above the P2,000 a month criteria of this Senate Bill 78. She can put in on her own the minimum allowable for PhilHealth P150 a month, P120 a month into her SSS and P150 a month for her PAG-IBIG Plan! And she's just working for us only 3 1/2 days a week, she can work part time elsewhere in between to supplement her income or even double it, which I'm certain she does, about working part time that is, but I don't know if she is putting into her PhilHealth, SSS or PAG-IBIG Plan! That's her prerogative! One would think that house helper's wages are still small compared to others, but hey that all depends on the individual's skills! For example, we just got our home exterior painted by a free lance self employed house painter for P48,000 including materials, paint and labor which only took him 7 days from start to finish to paint the entire exterior of our home! post-682-0-88179300-1323704934_thumb.jpgOur neighbors were impressed with his job of painting our home, he now has 3 contracts of P90,000, P130,000 and P200,000 to paint their homes!

Edited by Art2ro

Call me bubba
Posted
Posted
We pay our live-out house helper P2,900 a month! She only works every other day, 3 1/2 days every week! So, we are above the P2,000 a month criteria of this Senate Bill 78. but I don't know if she is putting into her PhilHealth, SSS or PAG-IBIG Plan! That's her prerogative!
yes your correct thats her "prerogative" to do whatever she wants.BUT HOW DO i/we convince "our extended families or workers" that this is the BEST thing to do for themselves? by planning ahead when they might not have a wife or children to help them?is it like beating your head against a wall??for me&my extended "family" i asked/encouraged them to "enroll" i would even "kick start" to make some contributions, WELL after nearly 7 years, I have yet had to make any "contributions" and they not needed my help . perhaps this should be crossed referenced with "family tax",

Art2ro
Posted
Posted

That's where I draw the line! I don't stick my nose into anyone's personal or financial business! They're all grown ups like you and Me!

• Like 1

sjp52
Posted
Posted

I worked in an oil refinery and every month they put 5% extra into my bank as a forced savings if I would match it. So I was always saving 10% every month. They also gave stocks to every employee every month that you could not touch until you retired. You could put a little away for your helper each month ( let her know or not ) and at the end of the year give it to her and show her how quickly it adds up. I am not a good saver so what my work did for me was much appreciated. Also I got a good pension which is transferred to my wife when I die.My point is do unto others as you would have them do to you. I loved what my employer did for me so I will pass this idea on to my helper

Curley
Posted
Posted
I worked in an oil refinery and every month they put 5% extra into my bank as a forced savings if I would match it. So I was always saving 10% every month. They also gave stocks to every employee every month that you could not touch until you retired. You could put a little away for your helper each month ( let her know or not ) and at the end of the year give it to her and show her how quickly it adds up. I am not a good saver so what my work did for me was much appreciated. Also I got a good pension which is transferred to my wife when I die.My point is do unto others as you would have them do to you. I loved what my employer did for me so I will pass this idea on to my helper
Good idea, a little hidden help to both help and educate. It's an unfortunate fact of life that usually lifelong employees are often among the worst employers.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

I have to wonder if expats who have house keepers /maids and pay them wages are actually doing it as a legal employer and paying their benefits as required by law.Seems to me most just make up the wage they want to pay and perhaps do as Art does and say its their problem to pay their own SSS,Health Insurance and Pag-Ibig which is possibly not legal as he is the employer and required to pay it on behalf of his employee like in most places around the world where employers have a wage system.

It also requires employers to secure benefits for them from the Social Security System, Philippine Health Insurance Corp. and Pag-IBIG Fund.
I wonder if one could end up in trouble for not following the labor laws,the DOLE website wont load for me at the moment so not much help there.

Curley
Posted
Posted

Surely if a maid is working more than one house then she is legally self employed and working as a contractor? Does it work that way in thePhilippines?