American Detained In Angeles City Jail

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

12 days in a medical center for less than $2000 seems reasonable compared to US prices where just an emergency visit would probably cost you more, but I often wonder why tourists do not leave themselves a cushion or have a credit card in case of illness, or was this guy just refusing to pay the bill.? 89.gifInteresting that the news had to list that he had a STD when it has nothing to do with why he was arrested. 89.gif So I guess this should be a lesson to all, make sure to have enough for your bills, or risk having your dirty laundry published in the papers. devil.gifA 52-year old American spent Christmas at the Angeles City police station for his alleged refusal to pay P80, 239.50 in bills during his 12-day confinement at the Angeles Medical Center.Robert Earl Nay Jr., a tourist was arrested on the basis of a criminal complaint filed by Dr. Maria Gisela Deang-Contreras, of Josefina Drive, Villa Teresa Subdivision, Barangay Sto. Rosario.Nay, a walk-in patient at the Angeles Medical Center, underwent treatment for acute bronchitis and acute hyper conjunctivitis, police said.Nay was also found suffering from sexually transmitted disease when he was admitted to the hospital and stayed at an executive suite. The American frequented girlie joints along Fields Avenue, police said. He was went to the hospital on Dec. 13 and was about to be released last Dec. 24 but he failed to settle his obligation, the police said. The story HERE

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

The Hospital Detention LawTo address the recurring cases of patients held in hospitals for lack of sufficient funds, a legislative measure was enacted in April 27 of 2007, declaring the act of detaining patients in hospitals illegal.Under the Republic Act No. 9439, popularly known as the Hospital Detention Law, patients without the financial capacity to settle their hospital obligations but has fully or partially recovered are allowed to leave the hospital or medical clinic upon the accomplishment of a promissory note.I guess the act neglects to mention that the hospital lets you go but the police pick you up and put you in THEIR detention facility. Only in the Philippines 23_11_62[1].gif

RTM
Posted
Posted (edited)
The Hospital Detention LawTo address the recurring cases of patients held in hospitals for lack of sufficient funds, a legislative measure was enacted in April 27 of 2007, declaring the act of detaining patients in hospitals illegal.Under the Republic Act No. 9439, popularly known as the Hospital Detention Law, patients without the financial capacity to settle their hospital obligations but has fully or partially recovered are allowed to leave the hospital or medical clinic upon the accomplishment of a promissory note.I guess the act neglects to mention that the hospital lets you go but the police pick you up and put you in THEIR detention facility. Only in the Philippines 23_11_62[1].gif
Third world countries...don't you love them?? But then again, do we really have all of the facts? Did the guy get out of jail? Edited by Mr. Lee
combine posts
  • Like 1

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
Third world countries...don't you love them?? But then again, do we really have all of the facts? Did the guy get out of jail?
That is a good point and we rarely get all the facts since the news in the PHL is often lacking from our POV. Welcome to the forum. :SugarwareZ-034:

RTM
Posted
Posted

Any news on this guy? If a guy is on vacation, get's a heart attacked and is rushed into a medical facility and is treated and survives, I am to understand that if he can't paythe bill, he could go to jail?? There has to be more to this story????????????

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
Any news on this guy? If a guy is on vacation, get's a heart attacked and is rushed into a medical facility and is treated and survives, I am to understand that if he can't paythe bill, he could go to jail?? There has to be more to this story????????????
News during the holidays is sparse in the PHL and follow up news in the PHL is always sparse, so we may never know what happened to this guy and it is always a good idea to bring along a credit card or 3 which would be capable of paying your bill, or at least a good part of it, or to get travel insurance, or to check with you health insurance provider to see if they will cover you while in the country you travel to. I do all three when traveling and since we live a good part of the year in the PHL, I make sure to have enough local money for emergencies in a local bank account as well.

• 2 months later...
Married Kano
Posted
Posted (edited)
12 days in a medical center for less than $2000 seems reasonable compared to US prices where just an emergency visit would probably cost you more, but I often wonder why tourists do not leave themselves a cushion or have a credit card in case of illness, or was this guy just refusing to pay the bill.? 89.gifInteresting that the news had to list that he had a STD when it has nothing to do with why he was arrested. 89.gif So I guess this should be a lesson to all, make sure to have enough for your bills, or risk having your dirty laundry published in the papers. devil.gifA 52-year old American spent Christmas at the Angeles City police station for his alleged refusal to pay P80, 239.50 in bills during his 12-day confinement at the Angeles Medical Center.Robert Earl Nay Jr., a tourist was arrested on the basis of a criminal complaint filed by Dr. Maria Gisela Deang-Contreras, of Josefina Drive, Villa Teresa Subdivision, Barangay Sto. Rosario.Nay, a walk-in patient at the Angeles Medical Center, underwent treatment for acute bronchitis and acute hyper conjunctivitis, police said.Nay was also found suffering from sexually transmitted disease when he was admitted to the hospital and stayed at an executive suite. The American frequented girlie joints along Fields Avenue, police said. He was went to the hospital on Dec. 13 and was about to be released last Dec. 24 but he failed to settle his obligation, the police said. The story HERE
Most foreign tourists have enough money to cover their bills while here or a credit card. If not, then in most cases there should be someone in their home country that can wire the needed amount as in the case of the American owing a medical bill. There could be other issues as to why he refused to pay but to me it sounds like the doctor and the police did the right thing! Gene Edited by Boss Man
put text in correct position

RTM
Posted
Posted

Did they release the guy??

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
No there is rarely follow up news on stories here, and when there is then I will do my best to update, so unless someone knows the person, then we rarely hear the end results, but I think what is the most important here, is to never get ones self in trouble in the first place, and that is why I post stories such as this one, so others know what they can and should avoid doing.

Married Kano
Posted
Posted (edited)
No there is rarely follow up news on stories here, and when there is then I will do my best to update, so unless someone knows the person, then we rarely hear the end results, but I think what is the most important here, is to never get ones self in trouble in the first place, and that is why I post stories such as this one, so others know what they can and should avoid doing.
That is very true. Locals have problems of this nature on a daily basis and nothing is heard about it. But when any foreigner has a problem or issues it often makes the news or ends up costing an arm and a leg. Good example of this is if a local breaks a traffic law or overdue on a license tag, it might cost him P200 to the police officer on the street to get out of trouble. A foreigner has the same issue and the amount jumps to maybe P2,000. Wrong and unfair to be sure but thats life here in paradise and likely will always be that way. Gene Edited by Boss Man
move text to below quote tags